    How long does data last on
    (1)3.5" floppy disks?
    (2)CD-Rs?

    Steven Hodge, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Steven Hodge

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Steven Hodge

    willah Guest

    CD-Rs should theoretically last infinetly. Floppys last for a long, long time also.

    willah, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Steven Hodge

    S.Heenan Guest

    Steven Hodge wrote:
    > How long does data last on
    > (1)3.5" floppy disks?
    > (2)CD-Rs?

    Though I still store applications like Norton Ghost on a set of floppy
    disks, I carry two sets, since the floppy is far from immune to dust, dirt,
    and rough handling. The read heads on different floppy drives may be out of
    alignment as to not allow reading. The CD-R has no such issue, though a
    single scratch can render it useless. Under good conditions, I'd guesstimate
    the life of a floppy at two years and the life of a CD-R at 10 years. If you
    value your data, make multiple backups and store them in a dry, cool, dark
    place, away from EM fields.

    S.Heenan, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Steven Hodge

    Zebedee Guest

    "Steven Hodge" <> wrote in message
    > How long does data last on
    > (1)3.5" floppy disks?
    > (2)CD-Rs?

    3.5" disks - not that reliable. Those that last, seem to last forever. About
    75% fail pretty quickly. X-Rays are guaranteed to shorten their lives. I
    have a box of disks - half of which have been x-rayed and half which have
    not. Those that were x-rayed are all totally unusable. Those that were not
    are still usable. I've had new 3.5" disks destroyed by Windows. Basically,
    3.5" disks IMO are unreliable although they're a convenient size.

    CDs - not bad although the unprotected data area gives cause of concern.
    With a DVD the data layer is encased. I have heard of CDs failing after 5
    years.

    Personally I would say that the earliest failure is the dependable life of a
    product. Beyond that and it's a gamble.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Steven Hodge

    Toma Guest

    depends where you store them. They last from a few days to many many
    many years. If you have CDs in your car when it's 110 degrees they
    wont last for very long. but see if you put them in a special
    cartridge or a cd wallet they will probably last as long as you will.

    Toma, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Steven Hodge

    willah Guest

    "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<40cf4ad0$0$2285$>...
    > "Steven Hodge" <> wrote in message
    > > How long does data last on
    > > (1)3.5" floppy disks?
    > > (2)CD-Rs?

    > 3.5" disks - not that reliable. Those that last, seem to last forever. About
    > 75% fail pretty quickly. X-Rays are guaranteed to shorten their lives. I
    > have a box of disks - half of which have been x-rayed and half which have
    > not. Those that were x-rayed are all totally unusable. Those that were not
    > are still usable. I've had new 3.5" disks destroyed by Windows. Basically,
    > 3.5" disks IMO are unreliable although they're a convenient size.

    How do x-rays affect hdds in laptops?

    willah, Jun 18, 2004
  8. Steven Hodge

    Tom Guest

    Badly.

    - Tom

    Tom, Jun 23, 2004
  9. Steven Hodge

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    (Tom) wrote:

    >Badly.

    In what sense?

    --
    HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
    consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,

    DevilsPGD, Jun 24, 2004
  10. Steven Hodge

    Tom Guest

    Badly, as in, not goodly, i.e. it does them no good.

    - Tom

    Tom, Jul 1, 2004
  11. Steven Hodge

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    (Tom) wrote:

    >Badly, as in, not goodly, i.e. it does them no good.

    There is a difference between doing "no good" and doing harm.

    X-rays aren't intended to do any good to your laptop, so it isn't
    unexpected that "it does them no good"

    However, I've yet to see any evidence of harm being caused.

    --
    UNIX Sex
    {look;find;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;flex;unzip;mount;workbone;

    DevilsPGD, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Steven Hodge

    Tom Guest

    Same here, I just wouldn't like to try it...

    Tom, Jul 2, 2004
  13. Steven Hodge

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    (Tom) wrote:

    >Same here, I just wouldn't like to try it...

    Talk to the hundreds of thousands of business folks that fly out of your
    average airport daily and take their laptops with them... *shrugs*

    DevilsPGD, Jul 4, 2004
  14. Steven Hodge

    Tom Guest

    Erm, where would you find X-rays in your average airport or aircraft? *shrugs*

    Tom, Jul 5, 2004
  15. Steven Hodge

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    (Tom) wrote:

    >Erm, where would you find X-rays in your average airport or aircraft? *shrugs*

    They X-ray'd my carry-on last time I passed through security (or it sure
    looked like it, and the machine has a "warning X-rays" sticker on it)

    --
    I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.

    DevilsPGD, Jul 5, 2004
  16. Steven Hodge

    Pandora Xero Guest

    (Steven Hodge) wrote in message news:<>...
    > How long does data last on
    > (1)3.5" floppy disks?
    > (2)CD-Rs?

    not this never ending question again... arrrrggggghhhh
    The way i handle them, CD's last much longer. I exposed my floppy
    disks to tremendous amounts of rough vibration, ie shaking up and down
    from running around with them. They last from 12 hours to 7 days if
    exposed to this. Nonmagnetic storage is always better, you just gotta
    handle it right, which really isn't that hard to do. Under the same
    conditions that i exposed my floppy disks to, i never found out how
    much a CD could take. And the real question should be between flash
    media and optical storage. And there i would of course have to go with
    flash media

    Pandora Xero, Jul 6, 2004
  17. Steven Hodge

    Tom Guest

    Hmm yes good point, never thought of stuff in the terminal building...

    Well, if you know anyone with a laptop who goes to commercial airports
    a lot, find out how long the data on their hard disk lasts after
    passing through the scanner a few times.

    Tom, Jul 6, 2004