    bought. With great results but I check the company web site from time
    to time and even look in this group from time to time but still no
    Socket 775 boards. What a joke Soyo has become.

    Custom Computers, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Custom Computers

    Soyo Guy Guest

    Custom Computers wrote:

    > How many years will it take Soyo to build a Socket 775
    > motherboard?

    Heh. The Prescott socket-478 version of the P4I-845 was just released
    a month or two ago (good luck getting CPU's for it). Talk about being
    way behind the curve. No AGP socket (instead they have some Intel
    graphics chip that is not even described properly - even in the doc's
    for the board).

    Yes, Soyo needs a socket 775 replacement for the P4I-845 (with ISA
    slots). They need it before socket 775 CPU's become unavailable.

    > What a joke Soyo has become.

    They've diversified way beyond being a motherboard company.

    Soyo Guy, Feb 18, 2006

  3. ISA slots, LOL its the 21st. Century now.

    Custom Computers, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Custom Computers

    Soyo Guy Guest

    Custom Computers wrote:

    > ISA slots, LOL its the 21st. Century now.

    Obviously you know very little about the industrial computer scene.

    Soyo Guy, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Actually I do, thats where I got my start, with custom programmable
    milling and boring machines. Which all of our machines we build now use
    PCI components. But yes outdated machines still use ISA and
    motherboards are running in short supply for them. Our new machines are
    even using PCI Express for display screens. Some of which even are
    equipped with wireless LAN so programmers can access individual machine
    centers for programming changes during operation.

    Custom Computers, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Custom Computers

    Soyo Guy Guest

    Custom Computers wrote:

    > But yes outdated machines still use ISA

    It's not outdated machines, but very expensive ISA-based peripheral
    hardware (in many industrial and telecom settings). When a 3-ISA-slot
    motherboard from Soyo costs $200, but new PCI-based hardware costs
    $10,000, it's a no-brainer that keeping the old ISA cards is the most
    cost-effective solution.

    > and motherboards are running in short supply for them.

    Soyo and SuperMicro are the last (as far as I know) that make standard
    ATX motherboards with P-4 support and ISA slots. I'm not sure about
    SuperMicro, but Soyo *finally* supports Prescott (a year later than
    they should have and basically too late if you ask me).

    It's funny, but Intel / Micro$oft were adament that P-4 chipsets
    couldn't support ISA slots.

    In the true industrial channel, there are ISA backplane and
    motherboard-on-a-card solutions that cost easily $1000 and will be
    around for a while.

    Soyo Guy, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Wow, I see there now down to just one motherboard in production. Last
    one out the door please turn out the lights.

    Custom Computers, Feb 24, 2006
  8. Custom Computers

    TomC Guest

    It's a shame. They made excellent motherboards. I still manage five or six
    K7VTA Pros, still absolutely reliable except for the cheap little
    Northbridge fans. I never had a Soyo motherboard fail.

    I wish Soyo had hired John Howland. I still wonder what happened to him.

    TomC

    TomC, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Custom Computers

    Guest

    >>Soyo and SuperMicro are the last (as far as I know) that make standard ATX motherboards with P-4 support and ISA slots.
    >>I'm not sure about SuperMicro, but Soyo *finally* supports Prescott (a year later than they should have and basically too late if you ask me).

    SuperMicro P4SCA based on Canterwood ES supports Northwood, Prescott,
    and Extreme Edition up to 3.4GHz, Dual Channel DDR, Gigabit LAN, SATA,
    and has been shipping for nearly three years now. SuperMicro has a
    much larger IPC customer base and better reputation. ITOX/DFI is
    another big name in IPC market.

    There are even LGA775 motherboards based on Intel 915G with PCI-E x16
    and ISA (iBase Taiwan).

    , Mar 10, 2006
  10. Custom Computers

    Soyo Guy Guest

    wrote:

    > SuperMicro P4SCA based on Canterwood ES supports Northwood,
    > Prescott, and Extreme Edition up to 3.4GHz, ...

    I don't think the P4SCA supports Prescott.

    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7210/P4SCA.cfm

    The P4SCA has 800 mhz FSB (the Soyo only has 533/400). According to
    the specs for the P4SCA, Celeron support is listed as "128 kb cache" -
    that's a Northwood Celeron. Prescott Celerons have 256 kb.

    The P4SCA has no AGP slot (the Soyo doesn't either, but it used to).
    The P4SCA and Soyo have integrated video. The P4SCA has very pathetic
    ATI Rage XL (8 mb ram). I don't know what the Soyo has.

    > There are even LGA775 motherboards based on Intel 915G with
    > PCI-E x16 and ISA (iBase Taiwan).

    I've seen I-base motherboards before, like this one:

    http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/mb880.htm

    Street price seems to be $320. More than $100 more than Soyo or
    Supermicro. But yes, it will soon be the most likely alternative for
    industrial PC's with ISA and Socket-775.

    Soyo Guy, Mar 10, 2006
  11. Custom Computers

    Guest

    >>I don't think the P4SCA supports Prescott.<<

    >From SuperMicro Support FAQs:

    Q: Which current Intel P4 processors work with the P4SCA?

    A: The 90nm (nanometer) processors are fine. Any Prescott processor
    will work except the new LGA775 package processors.

    >>The P4SCA has very pathetic ATI Rage XL (8 mb ram). I don't know what the Soyo has.<<

    Rage XL 8MB (PCI) is more than adequate for its industrial, telecom,
    and server target applications. In the event something more is
    desired, a Radeon 9250 PCI 256MB or comparable PCI will perform
    virtually equivalent to AGP 2x. The Soyo has Intel Extreme Graphics.

    >>But yes, it will soon be the most likely alternative for industrial PC's with ISA and Socket-775.<<

    There is also an Intel 865G based LGA-775 board with AGP 8x and ISA
    slots (e.g. MB865), in addition to the Intel 865 and 875 based mPGA-478
    boards with ISA slots (e.g. MB820). Besides being more costly, the
    iBase Taiwan boards don't seem to have much in the way of reasonably
    frequent BIOS updates available for download. Its possible they only
    do email support WRT BIOS updates.

    , Mar 11, 2006
  12. Custom Computers

    Soyo Guy Guest

    wrote:

    >> I don't think the P4SCA supports Prescott.

    > From SuperMicro Support FAQs:
    >
    > Q: Which current Intel P4 processors work with the P4SCA?
    >
    > A: The 90nm (nanometer) processors are fine. Any Prescott
    > processor will work except the new LGA775 package processors.

    They must have recently updated that board for prescott support (like
    Soyo did). I've got a P4SCA still in the box. Bought it about a year
    ago. I could check the book to see what it says.

    >> The P4SCA has very pathetic ATI Rage XL (8 mb ram).

    > Rage XL 8MB (PCI) is more than adequate for its industrial ...

    Sometimes you need a fully-functional desktop machine (with custom ISA
    board) running XP. Users would balk at 8mb graphics card. But yes,
    PCI video is an option (which is fast disappearing I think).

    >> I don't know what the Soyo has.

    > The Soyo has Intel Extreme Graphics.

    Yes - which tells me nothing. No chipset number, no idea how much ram
    it has.

    How does "Intel Extreme Graphics" compare to, say, NVidia GeForce?

    > There is also an Intel 865G based LGA-775 board with AGP 8x
    > and ISA slots (e.g. MB865)

    I can't see anywhere saying the MB865 has AGP 8x. Not here:

    http://www.ibase-china.com/Datasheet/MB865.pdf

    Price for 865 is not bad ($294):

    http://tinyurl.com/radd9

    Soyo Guy, Mar 11, 2006
  13. Custom Computers

    Guest

    >They must have recently updated that board for prescott support (like
    >Soyo did). I've got a P4SCA still in the box. Bought it about a year
    >ago. I could check the book to see what it says.

    Support for newer processors has been added via BIOS update, but all
    revisions of this board can support Prescott and Celeron D.

    >Sometimes you need a fully-functional desktop machine (with custom ISA
    >board) running XP. Users would balk at 8mb graphics card. But yes,
    >PCI video is an option (which is fast disappearing I think).

    Radeon 9250 PCI 128MB and 256MB with CRT + DVI are fairly plentiful.
    GF FX5500 and FX5700LE are also available in PCI but more difficult to
    find (and more expensive).

    >Yes - which tells me nothing. No chipset number, no idea how much ram
    >it has. How does "Intel Extreme Graphics" compare to, say, NVidia GeForce?

    Intel 845G family; G/GE/GL/GV. The newer Soyo board uses 845GV. Intel
    Extreme Graphics is an integrated solution with shared memory
    (UMA/DVMT). Its performance compares with other low-end UMA integrated
    graphics from VIA and SIS, but Intel has much better driver refinement.

    >I can't see anywhere saying the MB865 has AGP 8x. Not here:

    The AGP slot is clearly seen on the board image and the product specs
    list:

    1 x AGP, 4 x PCI, 2 x ISA slots

    Also here:

    http://www.ibase.com.tw/mb865.htm

    Notice it doesn't specify that the PCI slots are 32-bit and 33MHz,
    either, but we reasonably can presume they are. Intel 865G chipset
    features external AGP 8x interface (AGP 3.0). Intel 845 family is AGP
    4x (AGP 2.0).

    MB865V (a.k.a. MB865GV) model variant use Intel 865GV with integrated
    Intel Extreme 2 Graphics and NO AGP slot.

    , Mar 11, 2006
  14. Custom Computers

    qwertybob

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    UK Distributor

    Does anyone know of a UK distributor for any of these boards? We need to plug an old retinal camera into one.

    Any help much appreciated.

    qwertybob, Aug 10, 2006
  15. Custom Computers

    dhruba.bandopadhyay

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Nice! I don't believe it! A socket 775 P4 motherboard with all 3 interface slots (AGP 8x, PCI & ISA)!!! Does anyone know whether Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 ISA will work on this?

    dhruba.bandopadhyay, Aug 16, 2006