    correct overclock?

    --
    Ciao
    Nicole, Sep 5, 2007

  2. Nicole

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Nicole' wrote:
    | I have a Asus P5N32E-SLI with Q6600 but when i set FSB click at 1333 the
    | system don't start and i need to reset by motherboard with jumper.
    |
    | Where is the problem? Where i can find a descrition od operation to do to
    | correct overclock?
    _____

    You can find many posts in this newsgroup on overclocking Core 2 Duo CPUs.
    The basic methods of overclocking Core 2 Duo CPUs is the same, 2 core or 4
    core.

    It is likely that your problem is jumping directly to a 1333 MHz FSB from
    the stock 1066 MHz FSB. Overclocking is based on trading the built-in
    frequency margin of Intel CPUs, core voltage increases, and core temperature
    decreases for higher CPU frequencies. The procedure is generally to
    increase the FSB by small increments (10 MHz increases for the 267 CPU clock
    for your CPU) and checking for complete system stability after each
    increase. When unstable operation occurs, then increase the CPU core stock
    voltage (stock voltage varies with individual CPU chips) by a VERY small
    amount ( ~ 0.050 volts ) and check again for stability. Repeat until stable
    operation is achieved, but in NO case increase the CPU voltage above ~ 1.45
    volts.

    You will need to keep the CPU (full load on all cores) core temperature at
    65 C or lower for a stable high percentage overclock. Intel 'TAT' does a
    good job of reporting the correct CPU core temperatures and fully loading at
    least 2 cores (I do not know if it will load 4 cores.) Most CPU core
    temperature reporting programs do not report the correct temperature for
    Core 2 Duo processors (reported temperatures are perhaps 20 to 30 C low.)
    'Orthos' is also a good stress test, at least for 2 cores.

    There are other considerations:

    proper memory parameters, including Memory clock speed, link to CPU clock,
    timings, and voltage

    proper chipset voltage

    PCI-E speed locked to 100 MHz.

    All of the above considerations interact, and must be taken into account to
    be successful in any but the mildest overclock (10% or less.)

    Keep good records, work methodically, check at every step to make sure that
    the changes you have made are the ones you actually wanted to make, make
    only one change at time, and only by small increments.

    As you read the earlier posts here, you will perhaps see tips such as
    'disable all but one core to check overclocking stability while keeping the
    CPU temperature lower'.

    Read and re-read the motherboard manual. Different motherboard
    manufacturers use different terminology and different names for settable
    parameters in the BIOS set-pages. Try to avoid any of the automatic
    overclocking options - so far the automatic overclocking functions do not
    seem to work well, and are useless for higher percentage overclocks. Most
    motherboard manuals are difficult to read because they seem to be written in
    one language, proof read in a second language, translated back to the first
    language for correction, then translated to ... well, you get the idea B^)

    You might also want to download overclocking information from the nVidia
    website.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Sep 5, 2007