How to access "unused" PCI connector, Dell Dimension 4500S

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Paul Soderman, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. I've had a Dell Dimension 4500S for a couple of years and am pleased with
    it. In the "card cage" there is an Ethernet card for the cable modem
    connection, as well as a Predator sound card I installed. Looks like that
    cage only has room for the 2 cards.

    I recently picked up an Adaptec 1394 card to enable the use of 3 "Firewire"
    connections; however, in opening up the Dell I realized that there's only
    room for the 2 cards in the "Cage". Right behind, or next to, the cage is
    another empty card slot. The manual only refers to this as being an "unused
    connector". The PCI card lines up with the slot, but the small metal cover
    on the back of the computer (ie. where the ports for outside connection to
    the card itself would be accessible for hookup to cables) is not lined up so
    as to permit easy installation. Of course, the manual has no info on how one
    is to use this "unused connector"!

    Am I out of luck in hoping to install this card in this location? If
    necessary, I guess that I could install the Ethernet card in that slot and
    simply hook the cable around, into the Dell itself, for access to the card,
    as this would enable the 1394 card to be installed in the "cage". Am I
    viewing the card and its access to outside of the computer in the proper
    way?

    Thanks for any help!

    Paul
    Paul Soderman, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Paul Soderman

    snoopy Guest

    You can always replace the sound card with one of these. They have a
    Firwwire port. Hopefully you can return the Adaptec card.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-158&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-162&depa=0

    snoopy, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Paul Soderman <> wrote in message news:<BCA1F2F2.D508%>...
    > I've had a Dell Dimension 4500S for a couple of years and am pleased with
    > it. In the "card cage" there is an Ethernet card for the cable modem
    > connection, as well as a Predator sound card I installed. Looks like that
    > cage only has room for the 2 cards.
    >
    > I recently picked up an Adaptec 1394 card to enable the use of 3 "Firewire"
    > connections; however, in opening up the Dell I realized that there's only
    > room for the 2 cards in the "Cage". Right behind, or next to, the cage is
    > another empty card slot. The manual only refers to this as being an "unused
    > connector". The PCI card lines up with the slot, but the small metal cover
    > on the back of the computer (ie. where the ports for outside connection to
    > the card itself would be accessible for hookup to cables) is not lined up so
    > as to permit easy installation. Of course, the manual has no info on how one
    > is to use this "unused connector"!
    >
    > Am I out of luck in hoping to install this card in this location? If
    > necessary, I guess that I could install the Ethernet card in that slot and
    > simply hook the cable around, into the Dell itself, for access to the card,
    > as this would enable the 1394 card to be installed in the "cage". Am I
    > viewing the card and its access to outside of the computer in the proper
    > way?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Paul

    question in perfect english, grammar, spelling and punctuation. What
    a pleasure it is to read something that can be digested
    instantaneously without having to re-read and re-read until it makes
    sense!! Mike
    Michael P Gabriel, Apr 17, 2004