    f6 during setup and install the sata driver. Then I can install xp and it
    works.

    thanks
    J, Jun 6, 2004

  2. J

    TomG Guest

    if you enable the SATA controller in raid mode with raid ROM enabled, even
    though you are planning to use the controller in non-raid mode, then reboot,
    XP will attempt to install a driver for the controller even if no hard drive
    is connected to it.

    the problem then becomes getting the system to find the new boot path when
    you move the OS over to the SATA drive. there could be a number of issues
    at work here from not having the bios set correctly to boot to the SATA
    controller to having XP fall over when it is looking for the boot drive.

    you need to be more specific for us and tell us what happened when you tried
    to boot to the SATA controller... did you see any boot screens from XP or
    did the system just halt at the end of the bios screens? if the latter
    happened, it would imply that the bios boot priority was not set correctly
    to allow the system to boot from the SATA controller.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "J" <> wrote in message
    > I want to replace my maxtor 40 gig on ide 1 with a maxtor 200 gig sata
    > connected to sata 1. I'm going to use maxblast3 utility to copy the 40 gig
    > to the 200 gig, then remove the 40 gig and use the 200 gig as as the boot
    > drive. How do you install the sata driver from the abit cd to the existing
    > hd so the new one will boot after the copy? I tried to copy without
    > installing the sata driver but the new drive won't boot. The only way I

    can
    > get the new drive to work is to do a fresh xp install on the 200 gig and

    hit

    TomG, Jun 6, 2004

  3. J

    J Guest

    After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40 gig and
    tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as far as listing
    the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool data". I have hd set
    as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the sata, on chip sata is auto.
    Without changing anything from here I can do a fresh install of xp on the
    sata drive and it works. I just can't get the copied drive to boot. Also
    this board is sata only , no raid if that makes a differance.

    Thanks again.

    J, Jun 6, 2004
  4. J

    ICee Guest

    J wrote:
    > After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40
    > gig and tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as
    > far as listing the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool
    > data". I have hd set as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the
    > sata, on chip sata is auto. Without changing anything from here I can
    > do a fresh install of xp on the sata drive and it works. I just can't
    > get the copied drive to boot. Also this board is sata only , no raid
    > if that makes a differance.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    I'm not sure what you should do, but here is an article that gives
    causes and solutions for that problem (stops at verifying dmi pool
    data). If nothing else, it's good for a reference.

    ICee, Jun 6, 2004
  5. J

    J Guest

    thanks for the info, I did a new install of xp and everthing is ok. Still
    don't know why the drive won't work when the 40 gig is copied to it?

    J, Jun 6, 2004
  6. J

    ICee Guest

    J wrote:
    > thanks for the info, I did a new install of xp and everthing is ok.
    > Still don't know why the drive won't work when the 40 gig is copied
    > to it?

    You're welcome. Glad you were able to get everthing working. When
    installing XP, it asks you for the SATA driver very early in the
    installation, and since it wasn't done when you installed it on the the
    PATA drive, XP probably couldn't boot due to the missing proper
    configuration and driver. You may have been able to edit the boot.ini
    file to fix it, but I wouldn't know what you would have to have done.
    XP is not at all like 95/98; with the earlier OS's, you could change
    just about anything and it would just detect new hardware and boot right
    up.

    ICee, Jun 6, 2004
  7. J

    TomG Guest

    try setting the SATA controller to raid mode and raid ROM enabled before you
    ever move/change the drives. get the driver installed and then you can try
    moving things around and setting the boot priority to add in device and then
    add in device set to onchip SATA.

    TomG, Jun 6, 2004
  8. J

    TomG Guest

    if it is stopping at DMI pool, it seems to me that it is not finding the
    proper boot drive to go to and never even trying to load the OS.

    TomG, Jun 6, 2004
  9. J

    Chris Catt Guest

    Hi, why didn't you install the sata drivers on the 40g b4 you made the
    transition???
    Chris C

    Chris Catt, Jun 8, 2004