How to find out the real, maximum possible CPU speed (WITHOUT overclocking) ?

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Peter Meister, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. I was running an AMD Athlon CPU on an older Elitegroup motherboard.
    Some diagnostic tools show me a modell 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+ for this CPU.

    Then, a week ago, I changed the motherboard to another Elitegroup motherboard (K7S5A).
    Note: I moved the old CPU to the new motherboard as well

    Much to my surprise the same diagnostic tools show now a CPU modell: 1046MHz (10.5 x 100)

    So the CPU modell changes when the underlying motherboard changes ?

    It seems to me that the CPU diagnostic software tools show only the effective Mhz
    But how do I get the real, maximum possible Mhz of the current CPU (WITHOUT Overclocking) ?

    I assume that the new motherboard is setup with FSB of 100 in contrast to 133 on the old motherboard.

    How can I change the FSB from 100 to 133: Is this possible by Software, BIOS or Jumper ?

    How do I find out all possible combinations between CPU speed and FSB speed ?

    Peter

    1. Advertising

  2. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    "Peter Meister" <> wrote in message
    > I was running an AMD Athlon CPU on an older Elitegroup motherboard.
    > Some diagnostic tools show me a modell 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+ for this

    CPU.

    > Then, a week ago, I changed the motherboard to another Elitegroup motherboard

    (K7S5A).
    > Note: I moved the old CPU to the new motherboard as well
    >
    > Much to my surprise the same diagnostic tools show now a CPU modell: 1046MHz

    (10.5 x 100)

    > So the CPU modell changes when the underlying motherboard changes ?
    >
    > It seems to me that the CPU diagnostic software tools show only the effective

    Mhz
    > But how do I get the real, maximum possible Mhz of the current CPU (WITHOUT

    Overclocking) ?

    > I assume that the new motherboard is setup with FSB of 100 in contrast to 133

    on the old motherboard.

    > How can I change the FSB from 100 to 133: Is this possible by Software, BIOS

    or Jumper ?

    > How do I find out all possible combinations between CPU speed and FSB speed ?
    >
    > Peter

    It's in the BIOS.
    If you install another BIOS (there are some good ones listed in the Elitegroup
    or HoneyX forums, you will have more speed options.
    I use the HoneyX BIOS and it is excellent.
    I find that the 138/138 speed works the best when dealing with a 133MHz core
    cpu.
    There is a free program called SpeedFan which will allow you to try different
    FSB settings while in Windows with even the original BIOS.

    1. Advertising

  3. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    Look at this link for good info on the K7S5a motherboard:
    http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum