    is there anything avail where I can somehow unplug the laptop HDD,
    and install a ribbon cable and then attach 2 HDDs for image copy ?
    Phil -
    Phil Schuman, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Phil Schuman

    Brian Lycett Guest

    Hi.

    The easiest way to do it would be to use a desktop PC and two 3.5 inch to
    2.5 inch ide adapters.
    If partition magic boots from a cdrom (I've never used it), then you can
    set up your pc so that the cdrom drive is the slave drive on the 1st
    (primary) IDE channel, and the old laptop hdd will be the master.
    You'll need to use the IDE adapter to connect the laptop HDDs to the pc
    ide cables & power.
    Connect the second, new laptop hdd as the secondary master (on the 2nd IDE
    channel). Make sure the pc detects the laptop hdd's in the bios, and that
    it's set to boot from the cdrom.
    The boot partition magic from the cd, and you should be able to image the
    drive.
    I picked up an ide apapter for around $8, and they should be available
    from most PC hardware shops.

    Hope this helps.

    Brian Lycett, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Phil Schuman

    John Guest

    Phil,

    For 2.5" drive to 3.5" IDE converter to mount a laptop
    drive in your desktop as a secondary drive, checkout:

    http://www.cyberguys.com/
    Conduct a search for 1610405

    John
    John, Sep 30, 2003