    with will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno, Oct 9, 2006

  2. J.B. Moreno

    Per Rønne Guest

    Tim Lance <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:08:47 -0500, J.B. Moreno wrote
    > (in article <081020062108473428%>):
    >
    > > I've recently gotten a mac-mini with 10.4 and unlike the eMac I had
    > > before (with 10.3), it crashes constantly.
    > >
    > > The Dock freezes (typically when I'm running OE in Classic), and the
    > > computer grinds to a halt. It takes forever to switch windows or
    > > launch new applications, and the only fix is to launch the terminal
    > > window and "killall Dock". But that's a temporary fix (unless I
    > > reboot, which by the way I can't do when the Dock is frozen as it
    > > freezes somewhere in the process).
    > >
    > > So, I'd like to get rid of it completely and replace it with something
    > > else.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions for how to kill it permanently or what to replace it
    > > with will be greatly appreciated.

    > There are various ways but al result in losing Expose and your Desktop (all
    > tied into Dock). What many do is to put it at the top, centered, shrunken,
    > and set to be hidden. I use Onyx. I believe other such system tools have the
    > feature, too.

    I use ASM for that purpose. And aliasMenu to get frequently used
    programs and documents in pull-down menus. And QuicKeys for
    keyboard-shortcuts.

    The only use of the Dock is acces to the Trash folder.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

    Per Rønne, Oct 9, 2006

  3. J.B. Moreno

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "J.B. Moreno" <> wrote:

    > I've recently gotten a mac-mini with 10.4 and unlike the eMac I had
    > before (with 10.3), it crashes constantly.
    >
    > The Dock freezes (typically when I'm running OE in Classic), and the
    > computer grinds to a halt. It takes forever to switch windows or
    > launch new applications, and the only fix is to launch the terminal
    > window and "killall Dock". But that's a temporary fix (unless I
    > reboot, which by the way I can't do when the Dock is frozen as it
    > freezes somewhere in the process).
    >
    > So, I'd like to get rid of it completely and replace it with
    > something else.
    >
    > Any suggestions for how to kill it permanently or what to replace it
    > with will be greatly appreciated.

    Well, the obvious recommendation is to stop using OE! ;-) And minimize
    your use of Classic apps in general, if you can, they run much slower
    than native OS X apps.

    There are a few things you can do other than that, though. First, turn
    off all the widgets in Dashboard. They chew up memory and processor
    cycles even when they are not running. Second, try to avoid running
    other applications while you are running classic apps. Third, stuff
    that puppy full of as much RAM as it will hold.

    Tim McNamara, Oct 9, 2006
  4. J.B. Moreno

    Guest

    d (Per Rønne) writes:

    > The only use of the Dock is acces to the Trash folder.

    I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.

    cmd-delete always seemed a lot easier to me.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

    , Oct 9, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    > dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.

    I use it to drag something to the trash while in an application without
    having to switch to the Finder. Of course that works only if the icon
    isn't covered by a window.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 9, 2006
  6. J.B. Moreno

    FPP Guest

    I use Tinkertool to put the dock at the Top, in the Center of the screen.

    If you set the prefs to hide automatically, and set the size to the
    smallest possible - the dock is effectively eliminated, and Spotlight
    isn't affected. (Though I really like the search utility EasyFind a lot
    better than Spotlight.)

    (You have to hit the bottom of the menubar within a 2 pixel range in
    order to activate the dock. Hard to do on purpose... much less by
    accident.)

    As far as having the Trash on the desktop... I find that Dragthing is
    the best, by far. I can put the Trashcan anyhwere I want, and any size
    I want. You can drag and drop any icon onto the Trashcan to change it's
    name and appearance.

    It also acts as an Application switcher, and restores the ability to
    have pop-up windows/drawers at the bottom of the screen like OS9 used to
    have.

    If I could have only one system enhancement, Dragthng is the one
    indispensible utility I would keep.

    FPP

    --
    -------------------------------
    If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made

    FPP, Oct 10, 2006
  7. J.B. Moreno

    Per Rønne Guest

    <> wrote:

    > d (Per Rønne) writes:
    >
    > > The only use of the Dock is acces to the Trash folder.

    > I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    > dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.
    >
    > cmd-delete always seemed a lot easier to me.

    Yes - but how do you /recover/ files accidentally deleted if you can't
    drag them from the Trash?
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

    Per Rønne, Oct 10, 2006
  8. In article <1hmz5bs.1x2hwc5k2scw0N%>, Per Rønne
    <> wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > d (Per Rønne) writes:
    > >
    > > > The only use of the Dock is acces to the Trash folder.

    > > I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    > > dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.
    > >
    > > cmd-delete always seemed a lot easier to me.

    > Yes - but how do you /recover/ files accidentally deleted if you can't
    > drag them from the Trash?

    Simple. Don't delete files accidentally! ;)

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

    Jerry Kindall, Oct 10, 2006
  9. J.B. Moreno

    Guest

    d (Per Rønne) writes:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > d (Per Rønne) writes:
    > >
    > > > The only use of the Dock is acces to the Trash folder.

    > > I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    > > dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.
    > >
    > > cmd-delete always seemed a lot easier to me.

    > Yes - but how do you /recover/ files accidentally deleted if you can't
    > drag them from the Trash?

    cmd-delete puts them into the trash. It doesn't empty the
    trash.

    You can still open up the trash and un-trash the items.

    There doesn't seem to be any trivial way (there are
    several non-trivial ways, though) to open the trash
    without the Dock, though.

    OTOH, I'm not a Dock-hater. I don't really mind it in the
    slightest.

    So, hide it, minimize it, and on those rare occurences where
    you need to pull something out which you wrongly put in there
    (whether with cmd-del or otherwise), unhide it and open the
    trash.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

    , Oct 10, 2006
  10. J.B. Moreno

    Per Rønne Guest

    <> wrote:

    > d (Per Rønne) writes:
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    > > > dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.
    > > >
    > > > cmd-delete always seemed a lot easier to me.

    > > Yes - but how do you /recover/ files accidentally deleted if you can't
    > > drag them from the Trash?

    > cmd-delete puts them into the trash. It doesn't empty the
    > trash.
    >
    > You can still open up the trash and un-trash the items.

    I'm perfectly aware of that.

    > There doesn't seem to be any trivial way (there are
    > several non-trivial ways, though) to open the trash
    > without the Dock, though.

    Exactly. That is the only use of the Dock - for me.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

    Per Rønne, Oct 10, 2006
  11. J.B. Moreno

    Paul Sture Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > d (Per Rønne) writes:
    >
    > > The only use of the Dock is acces to the Trash folder.

    > I can't remember the last time I actually dragged and
    > dropped something on the Trash folder on the dock.
    >
    > cmd-delete always seemed a lot easier to me.

    Agreed, and I've also got a Delete icon on my Finder Toolbar (well to
    the right of the others, to reduce the chance of mis-clicking).

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Oct 10, 2006
  12. J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno Guest

    Tim McNamara <> wrote:

    > "J.B. Moreno" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've recently gotten a mac-mini with 10.4 and unlike the eMac I had
    > > before (with 10.3), it crashes constantly.
    > >
    > > The Dock freezes (typically when I'm running OE in Classic), and the
    > > computer grinds to a halt. It takes forever to switch windows or
    > > launch new applications, and the only fix is to launch the terminal
    > > window and "killall Dock". But that's a temporary fix (unless I
    > > reboot, which by the way I can't do when the Dock is frozen as it
    > > freezes somewhere in the process).
    > >
    > > So, I'd like to get rid of it completely and replace it with
    > > something else.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions for how to kill it permanently or what to replace it
    > > with will be greatly appreciated.

    > Well, the obvious recommendation is to stop using OE! ;-)

    I know, I've even bought Gemini, but I'm used to it...

    > And minimize
    > your use of Classic apps in general, if you can, they run much slower
    > than native OS X apps.

    No can do -- have one that I have to use (or write my own program,
    which I've considered more than once).

    > There are a few things you can do other than that, though. First, turn
    > off all the widgets in Dashboard. They chew up memory and processor
    > cycles even when they are not running. Second, try to avoid running
    > other applications while you are running classic apps. Third, stuff
    > that puppy full of as much RAM as it will hold.

    I read elsewhere that they didn't use anything when not running.

    --
    J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno, Oct 11, 2006
  13. J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno Guest

    Tim Lance <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:08:47 -0500, J.B. Moreno wrote
    > (in article <081020062108473428%>):

    -snip-
    > > Any suggestions for how to kill it permanently or what to replace it
    > > with will be greatly appreciated.

    > There are various ways but al result in losing Expose and your Desktop (all
    > tied into Dock).

    That's acceptable. So how do I do it?

    --
    J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno, Oct 11, 2006
  14. J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > "J.B. Moreno" <> said:
    >
    > > I've recently gotten a mac-mini with 10.4 and unlike the eMac I had
    > > before (with 10.3), it crashes constantly.
    > >
    > > The Dock freezes (typically when I'm running OE in Classic), and the
    > > computer grinds to a halt.

    -snip-
    > The Dock freezing is surely a *symptom* rather than your actual
    > *problem*. On well-functioning Mac OS X systems, the Dock does not
    > cause the sort of problem you describe.

    You have more confidence in NeXT/Apple than I do...

    > With that said, this AppleScript will kill the Dock:
    >
    > -- begin script
    > >> do shell script "perl -e 'if(`ps
    > >> ax`=~/Dock\\.app/){for($i=1;$i<=10;$i++){system(\"killall
    > >> Dock>/dev/null 2>&1\");}}'"

    > -- end script
    >
    > Copy and paste this script into Script Editor. Save the script as an
    > application. Then add the script application to your Login Items (in
    > System Preferences under "Accounts"). The script will kill the Dock
    > each time you log in.

    How does that script differ from just typing "killall Dock.app" in a
    terminal window?

    > Please keep in mind that certain Apple applications expect the Dock to
    > be running. In particular, you may find that Dashboard ceases to
    > function if the Dock is not running! You've been warned.

    I don't mind loosing the Dashboard, don't really use it.

    --
    J.B. Moreno

    J.B. Moreno, Oct 13, 2006