    Is this a BIOS issue, which hides those drives by default?

    What else can I do?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 28, 2007

  2. Hans-Peter Diettrich

    Brett Kline Guest

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they all
    > do not see any harddisks :-(

    Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Copy them to the root
    directory of a floppy.

    During Windows setup you will be prompted to press F6 to install
    SCSI/SATA/RAID drivers. Press F6 then insert the floppy when prompted.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f6 + sata + windows xp&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    Brett Kline, Dec 28, 2007

  3. Brett Kline wrote:

    >> On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they
    >> all do not see any harddisks :-(

    > Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Copy them to the root
    > directory of a floppy.

    Fine - but I don't have an floppy drive :-(

    But I see the big picture, perhaps I can merge the driver into a new
    setup disk.

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 28, 2007
  4. Hans-Peter Diettrich

    Brett Kline Guest

    Brett Kline, Dec 28, 2007
  5. Hans-Peter Diettrich

    Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:02:21 -0600, Brett Kline <>
    wrote:

    >Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    >> On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they all
    >> do not see any harddisks :-(

    >Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Copy them to the root
    >directory of a floppy.
    >
    >During Windows setup you will be prompted to press F6 to install
    >SCSI/SATA/RAID drivers. Press F6 then insert the floppy when prompted.
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f6 + sata + windows xp&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    This has to be a BIOS thing. If you can't see the drives until windows
    loads how will you ever load it?
    If you have onboard BIOS support for SATA it should be able to see
    them before you do anything, hence the word boot(strap).
    Do you see the drives in BIOS?
    Your real problem may simply be that they are not partitioned and
    formatted. You should find those utilities on the windoze CD or create
    the partitions on another system and swap the drives in.

    , Dec 28, 2007
  6. wrote:

    > This has to be a BIOS thing. If you can't see the drives until windows
    > loads how will you ever load it?

    The drive is visible in the BIOS.

    I tried to enable IDE mode for the drive, what allowed to start the
    installation of XP, but only until the first reboot - then the disk was
    unusable. Could this be related to the size (360 GB) of the drive, which
    is not supported in IDE mode?

    Fortunately I could repair the drive, using the Vista repair features,
    without loss of partitions or data. Apart from the Linux bootloader, of
    course <BG>. Perhaps I had much luck, when I tried to install XP only in
    the first 60 GB of the drive?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 29, 2007
  7. Brett Kline wrote:

    > Download the RAID Slipstreamer utility as well as MagicISO or PowerISO.

    How is SATA related to RAID?

    The support pages of my system include an download of "Intel(R) Matrix
    Storage Manager" - is this what I need to get the required driver(s)?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Hans-Peter Diettrich

    Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 02:05:26 +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> This has to be a BIOS thing. If you can't see the drives until windows
    >> loads how will you ever load it?

    >The drive is visible in the BIOS.
    >
    >I tried to enable IDE mode for the drive, what allowed to start the
    >installation of XP, but only until the first reboot - then the disk was
    >unusable. Could this be related to the size (360 GB) of the drive, which
    >is not supported in IDE mode?
    >
    >Fortunately I could repair the drive, using the Vista repair features,
    >without loss of partitions or data. Apart from the Linux bootloader, of
    >course <BG>. Perhaps I had much luck, when I tried to install XP only in
    >the first 60 GB of the drive?
    >
    >DoDi

    You could try that (loading the 60 as C:)
    The other thing might be to partition that drive into 2 smaller drives

    , Dec 29, 2007
  9. wrote:

    >>Fortunately I could repair the drive, using the Vista repair features,
    >>without loss of partitions or data. Apart from the Linux bootloader, of
    >>course <BG>. Perhaps I had much luck, when I tried to install XP only in
    >>the first 60 GB of the drive?

    > You could try that (loading the 60 as C:)
    > The other thing might be to partition that drive into 2 smaller drives

    The drive was already partitioned into 3 primaries of 20-30 GB each, and
    one extended partition.

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 29, 2007
  10. Brett Kline wrote:

    > This process is known as "slipstreaming".
    >
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    > Download the RAID Slipstreamer utility as well as MagicISO or PowerISO.
    >
    > http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85842

    Thanks for the links :)

    First I made a slipstream distribution of XP+SP2. Then I added the RAID
    drivers, and the result didn't fit on a CD. No problem, I could burn a
    DVD that booted and saw the SATA drive. But after the first step of the
    installation the disk again was unusable :-(

    Perhaps I did too much at once?

    It looks to me as if the new drivers now are used, but the treatment of
    the disk (MBR...) still seems to be inappropriate.

    And I also couldn't find an $OEM$ folder - has this one been removed
    from the newer Slipstreamer?

    And a last question (for now ;-), how would I incorporate all the XP
    drivers, supplied with my system?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 31, 2007
  11. Hans-Peter Diettrich

    Brett Kline Guest

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > Brett Kline wrote:
    >
    >> This process is known as "slipstreaming".
    >>
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    >> Download the RAID Slipstreamer utility as well as MagicISO or PowerISO.
    >>
    >> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85842

    > Thanks for the links :)
    >
    > First I made a slipstream distribution of XP+SP2. Then I added the RAID
    > drivers, and the result didn't fit on a CD. No problem, I could burn a
    > DVD that booted and saw the SATA drive. But after the first step of the
    > installation the disk again was unusable :-(
    >
    > Perhaps I did too much at once?
    >
    > It looks to me as if the new drivers now are used, but the treatment of
    > the disk (MBR...) still seems to be inappropriate.
    >
    > And I also couldn't find an $OEM$ folder - has this one been removed
    > from the newer Slipstreamer?
    >
    > And a last question (for now ;-), how would I incorporate all the XP
    > drivers, supplied with my system?

    Something did not work correctly. Windows XP with integrated SP2 and all
    of the drivers included with the RAID Slipstreamer comes to less than 600MB.

    Brett Kline, Dec 31, 2007
  12. Brett Kline wrote:

    > Something did not work correctly. Windows XP with integrated SP2 and all
    > of the drivers included with the RAID Slipstreamer comes to less than
    > 600MB.

    May be, I already found comments about possible problems with the Medion
    Recovery CDs, which I used to create the Slipstream distribution. The
    mere size doesn't matter, I want to put all the additional software
    packages on the same disc, once I can make it work.

    At least I could verify that the DVD installs XP properly in a VM, even
    with a 320 GB virtual disk. There must be something special with the
    management info of SATA drives (MBR...), which still are garbled during
    the installation.

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Jan 1, 2008