How to model cosmic ray corruption of DRAM memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob Day, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. Bob Day

    Bob Day Guest

    I'd like to study how well Chipkill advanced ECC detects
    multiple errors in a DRAM memory module. I've written software
    that implements the Chipkill algorithm, and now I'm seeking more
    detail about exactly how cosmic rays can corrupt DRAM bits.
    Such as, when a cosmic ray changes a bit in DRAM, how many
    adjacent bits on the average are likely to be affected as well?
    What would be the probability density of the number of bits altered
    per cosmic ray strike? Of course, it's likely to depend on the density
    of the DRAM. I'd much appreciate any information anyone can
    provide on this.

    --Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com

    1. Advertising

  2. trodas

    trodas

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Messages:
    22
    Location:
    Czech republic
    I did not tell you how to model it, but if you can get hold of the mobile X-ray machine used on operation rooms (basically, it is just a _big_ "C" letter) and place the simulated to get errors DRAM memory into the target area, then you fire up the Xray and you get your corruption.
    Wear the safety apron, tough ;)

    Cosmis rays are basicaly Xrays and others, as Sun was generating all the frequency spectrum of them. Same is true for any unshielded atomic reactor, except the the Sun is way way much more powerfull.