    2GB of RAM
    Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
    2 case fans
    bornfree, Nov 17, 2007

  2. bornfree

    Paul Guest

    bornfree wrote:
    > Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
    > Here are my system specs
    >
    > Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
    > Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
    > 2GB of RAM
    > Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
    > 2 case fans

    If you look in your manual, in section 2.4.2, it says there
    is a control under "Advanced" "Frequency/Voltage Control".
    Look for "CPU Clock". With an E6300 installed, the starting
    value for "CPU Clock" should be 266, and you can raise that
    setting.

    When the input clock is raised, it is possible the memory
    clock will be raised as well.

    For your first overclock, only change the CPU Clock by a small
    amount. If it starts at 266, set it to 270, and boot into
    Windows. Use this program, to help you understand what changing
    the CPU clock has done. I.e. Compare the frequency numbers at
    the default 266MHz, to the numbers you get at 270MHz.

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    You raise the CPU clock, only a little bit at a time. Then test
    with a program like Prime95 or Orthos. The purpose of the testing,
    is to detect when the machine is becoming unstable, but without
    crashing it. Once the instability point has been detected, turn
    the clock down a bit, so that you can actually use the computer
    for something.

    Orthos for Windows
    http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 17, 2007

  3. bornfree

    Ivan Guest

    "bornfree" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
    > Here are my system specs
    >
    > Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
    > Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
    > 2GB of RAM
    > Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
    > 2 case fans

    I have an E6320 (same default speed as yours) running at 3.01 Ghz (430 Mhz x
    7) with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink with no intervention as to the
    voltage.

    Make sure you have the latest BIOS. You need to raise FSB (from default 266
    Mhz onwards) in your BIOS if it allows to do so. Start with e.g. 333 Mhz
    FSB.

    For maximum stability you must also pay attention to the fact that your RAM
    isn't simultaneously overclocked (too high) and that PCI-Express/AGP bus
    stays at the default frequency.
    Ivan, Nov 18, 2007
  4. bornfree

    bornfree Guest

    On 18 Nov, 21:22, "Ivan" <> wrote:
    > "bornfree" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
    > > Here are my system specs

    > > Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
    > > Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
    > > 2GB of RAM
    > > Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
    > > 2 case fans

    > I have an E6320 (same default speed as yours) running at 3.01 Ghz (430 Mhz x
    > 7) with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink with no intervention as to the
    > voltage.
    >
    > Make sure you have the latest BIOS. You need to raise FSB (from default 266
    > Mhz onwards) in your BIOS if it allows to do so. Start with e.g. 333 Mhz
    > FSB.
    >
    > For maximum stability you must also pay attention to the fact that your RAM
    > isn't simultaneously overclocked (too high) and that PCI-Express/AGP bus
    > stays at the default frequency.

    Thanks for the advice both of you!

    Could you give me a quick explanation of how to use CPUID? It's a but
    daunting!
    bornfree, Nov 21, 2007
  5. bornfree

    Paul Guest

    bornfree wrote:
    > On 18 Nov, 21:22, "Ivan" <> wrote:
    >> "bornfree" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
    >>> Here are my system specs
    >>> Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
    >>> Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
    >>> 2GB of RAM
    >>> Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
    >>> 2 case fans

    >> I have an E6320 (same default speed as yours) running at 3.01 Ghz (430 Mhz x
    >> 7) with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink with no intervention as to the
    >> voltage.
    >>
    >> Make sure you have the latest BIOS. You need to raise FSB (from default 266
    >> Mhz onwards) in your BIOS if it allows to do so. Start with e.g. 333 Mhz
    >> FSB.
    >>
    >> For maximum stability you must also pay attention to the fact that your RAM
    >> isn't simultaneously overclocked (too high) and that PCI-Express/AGP bus
    >> stays at the default frequency.

    > Thanks for the advice both of you!
    >
    > Could you give me a quick explanation of how to use CPUID? It's a but
    > daunting!

    Double click cpuz.exe . There are a bunch of tabs along the top.
    This is what my processor reads out as, when not overclocked. You
    want to do an initial check as well, to see what your settings are like
    when not overclocked. Your first run, shows the nominal settings. You
    can use this, to verify that you understand how the BIOS works.

    CPU tab has: Memory tab has:

    Core speed 2800MHz Frequency 200MHz
    Multiplier x14 FSB:DRAM 1:1
    Bus Speed 200MHz tCL 2.5
    Rated FSB 800MHz tRCD 3
    tRP 3
    tRAS 8

    My system is mildly overclocked. It uses an old S478 processor.
    These are my current settings.

    CPU tab has: Memory tab has:

    Core speed 3150MHz Frequency 225MHz
    Multiplier x14 FSB:DRAM 1:1
    Bus Speed 225MHz tCL 2.5
    Rated FSB 900MHz tRCD 3
    tRP 3
    tRAS 8

    What you notice, with my current settings, is the clock feeding the CPU,
    has the same speed as the clock feeding the memory. The "ratio" is 1:1.

    As I increase the clock on the CPU to 225MHz, the memory also increases
    to 225MHz. That corresponds to DDR450, which is faster than the memory
    is rated for. My memory is PC3200, DDR400 memory. To make it go faster,
    I increased tCL by a little bit. I think my memory could probably be
    pushed to DDR500 at tCL of 3.0, but my processor won't let me go that
    high.

    The purpose of CPUZ, is as a learning tool. For your first overclock,
    you'll be increasing the CPU input clock by a tiny amount. The theory
    is, that tiny change will not affect the stability of your system. Then,
    you'll visit CPUZ again, and see what has changed. It's to help you
    understand how ratios work. See how the overclock has pushed your memory,
    perhaps passed its rated settings. What that tells you, is you need to
    reduce your memory setting in the BIOS. The combination of an increased
    CPU clock, and a reduced memory bus setting, helps keep the memory from
    going past its spec. In my case, I didn't have to do that, because I
    happen to know my memory will go all the way to DDR500. The only surprise
    I got, is how crappy my processor is. 3150 is as far as it goes.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 21, 2007