    Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
    w2k. Is that possible???
    Thanks
    Jenny, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Jenny

    HH Guest

    I may be wrong, but I don't believe that's possible. The Dell screen is in
    BIOS.

    HH

    HH, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Jenny

    Ray Guest

    The splash screen image is nothing other than a .bmp image that you should
    find in the C:\WINDOWS folder (My Dell splash image had a file name of
    DELL.BMP.). If you do not find it there, do a search for .BMP files and you
    will find all .BMP images on your system including the ones that are
    available from the Desktop Display Properties menu. You can modify the
    existing images or create a new one, place in that file, and pull it up via
    a desktop display properties. If creating a new one, I would suggest a 1020
    X 770 pixel image size with a resolution of at least 100 pixels/inch or
    better.

    Ray, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Jenny

    Noah Guest

    Jenny <> wrote:
    > I would like to put my own image in the place of the
    > Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
    > w2k. Is that possible???
    > Thanks

    Sorry, it's not possible. There might be a way to piggy back a chip
    or reverse engineer Dell's nvram scheme, but I doubt it's worth pursuing.
    This is awfully close to the password protection code too, so I'd guess
    it's a well kept secret and purposefully obfusicated.

    Retail Intel motherboards do have a user programmable flash region for
    the logo - with utilities to make your own "company" logo.

    The bright side is that you have better-than-retail theft protection.
    Noah, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    Hi Ray, it appears the others are right. I don't have a dell.bmp \
    You must have a different dell than I do. And it only makes sense
    that the splash on opening is not in windows because windows hasn't
    opened yet.
    But thanks much,
    Jenny

    Jenny, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Jenny

    Tom Scales Guest

    It depends on what screen you're talking about. The screen that says DELL in
    big letters, no you can't.

    The screen that says Windows, or Windows By Dell, yes, you can, it is a
    files called logo.sys. Just google search logo.sys and you'll find examples.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    I mean the first screen that has DELL with WWW. Dell...whatever. So I
    gather
    it can't be changed. That's a shame.
    Thanks

    Jenny, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Jenny wrote:

    > I mean the first screen that has DELL with WWW. Dell...whatever. So I
    > gather
    > it can't be changed. That's a shame.

    No insult intended, but... It's beyond me why some people are so against
    the Dell screen.

    Turn on your computer, grab a cup of coffee (or whatever), and by the
    time you come back, the screen will be gone. <g>

    Larry
    Lawrence Glasser, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Jenny

    Dave Guest

    "Lawrence Glasser" <> wrote in message
    > Jenny wrote:
    > >
    > > I mean the first screen that has DELL with WWW. Dell...whatever. So I
    > > gather
    > > it can't be changed. That's a shame.

    > No insult intended, but... It's beyond me why some people are so against
    > the Dell screen.
    >
    > Turn on your computer, grab a cup of coffee (or whatever), and by the
    > time you come back, the screen will be gone. <g>
    >
    > Larry

    Or, don't ever turn off the PC. Wait, that won't work. It's probably
    running Windows, you have no control when it gets turned off. Or, don't
    turn on your monitor until several long moments after you turn on the PC.
    Or, here's the non-flippant answer, disable quiet boot. The quiet boot
    option shows a BIG dell logo until the Windows logo comes up (usually). By
    disabling it, you get a small dell logo with a bunch of POST info.

    I know it's probably not the Dell logo you want to get rid of. You probably
    just want to put up your own really cool logo. I would probably check out
    some pc mod sites. Modders do this kind of thing all the time. I don't
    know many mod sites, but I've heard of www.yoshi.us, and www.pimprig.com.

    --
    Dave
    "stirkus ersu venete"
    Dave, Jan 29, 2004
  10. "Jenny" <> wrote in message
    > I mean the first screen that has DELL with
    > WWW. Dell...whatever. So I gather
    > it can't be changed. That's a shame.
    > Thanks

    Dell makes it very easy to change the splash screen on the
    portable line. Of course, that doesn't really help with your
    L550r.
    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Jenny

    Tom Scales Guest

    How?

    Tom Scales, Jan 30, 2004
  12. >>>I mean the first screen that has DELL with
    >>>WWW. Dell...whatever. So I gather
    >>>it can't be changed. That's a shame.
    >>>Thanks

    >>Dell makes it very easy to change the splash screen on the
    >>portable line. Of course, that doesn't really help with your
    >>L550r.

    > How?

    Dell provides a nifty SPLASH.EXE utility just for this purpose. A
    company I did some work for re-splashed their systems with their company
    logo as part of the asset tagging procedure.

    Virtually any 640x480 bitmap can be used as long as it's dithered down
    to 16 colors (and less than 150Kb).

    Here's a link to the utility -
    http://support.dell.com/filelib/format.aspx?releaseid=R55037
    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 30, 2004
  13. Jenny

    Tom Scales Guest

    But that just changes the Windows startup screen. The Original Poster was
    asking how to change the BIOS screen. Different animal.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 30, 2004
  14. Tom Scales wrote:
    > But that just changes the Windows startup screen. The Original Poster was
    > asking how to change the BIOS screen. Different animal.
    >
    > Tom

    Umm.. Nope. It surely does change the BIOS POST bitmap.

    Please re-read the documentation on Dell's site.
    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 30, 2004
  15. Jenny

    Tom Scales Guest

    My bad.

    Tom Scales, Jan 30, 2004
  16. Jenny

    Steve W. Guest

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    > > But that just changes the Windows startup screen. The Original

    Poster was
    > > asking how to change the BIOS screen. Different animal.
    > >
    > > Tom

    > Umm.. Nope. It surely does change the BIOS POST bitmap.
    >
    > Please re-read the documentation on Dell's site.

    Inspiron 600m
    Latitude D600
    for ONLY those units.
    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Jan 31, 2004
  17. Steve W. wrote:

    > Inspiron 600m
    > Latitude D600
    > for ONLY those units.

    Actually, as per Dell's documentation it supports the Dell Latitude
    C-Series and D-Series systems, except for Latitude CP and Latitude CPi;
    Dell Inspiron 3700, 3800, 4000 series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 500m
    series, 600m series and Dell Precision M-Series.

    Bay Wolf's Splash FAQ site breaks it down a bit further by mentioning
    the following systems: Inspiron 4150, Inspiron 4100, Inspiron 600m,
    Inspiron 500m, Inspiron 8200, Inspiron 3700, Inspiron 4000, Inspiron
    8000, Inspiron 8500, Inspiron 9100, Inspiron 8100, Inspiron 3800,
    Latitude C840, Latitude C640, Latitude D600, Latitude CPtS, Latitude
    CPxJ, Latitude C810, Latitude CPtV, Latitude CPxH, Latitude CPtC,
    Latitude CPiR, Latitude D500, Latitude C510 / C610, Latitude C500 /
    C600, Latitude D800, Latitude C800, Latitude CS, Latitude CSx, Latitude
    C400, Latitude D400, Latitude CPiA, Precision M60, Precision M40,
    Precision M50.

    It also mentions that, although not specifically listed, it is reported
    to work on the Inspiron 5100.
    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 31, 2004
  18. Jenny

    Steve W. Guest

    Yep, BUT since the OP was about a desktop it is kind of useless.

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Feb 1, 2004