    --
    Charles Berliner: Geschichte der Annaëlle

    http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_anna.htm
    Happy Oyster, Apr 19, 2010

  2. Are you SURE it's the BIOS and not Windows?

    Normally, BIOS' have a reset function in them. Or, on a DESKTOP, remove
    the CMOS battery with the machine unplugged and off (this does not work
    on most laptops, however).

    Barry Watzman, Apr 19, 2010

  3. Happy Oyster

    Happy Oyster Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:52:03 -0400, Barry Watzman <>
    wrote:

    >Are you SURE it's the BIOS and not Windows?

    Absolutely sure. I installed DOS. DOS boots, but suddenly I find the characters
    are messed up.

    Instead of "a" it is "A". That means that the character set is "shifted up".
    That would make sense if shift lock were set. But it isn't.

    Next: the characters on the cipher button line appear as "!", etc, but somehow
    mixed up.

    It took some twisted typing on the keybord with shift, shift lock, etc. until
    normal case is back again.

    The problem persist with each boot and power line disconnected.

    With Linux (SuSE 11.2) dring boot 3 times an error message show up, the first
    one complaining about "low memory...".

    It is NOT the keyboard. An external keyboard show just the same.

    I have never before seen such a thing.

    ..
    --
    Die volle Härte: http://www.kindersprechstunde.at
    Die Medienmafia » Die Regividerm-Verschwörung
    Happy Oyster, Apr 19, 2010
  4. Happy Oyster

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Happy Oyster typed on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:13:00 +0300:
    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:52:03 -0400, Barry Watzman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you SURE it's the BIOS and not Windows?

    > Absolutely sure. I installed DOS. DOS boots, but suddenly I find the
    > characters are messed up.
    >
    > Instead of "a" it is "A". That means that the character set is
    > "shifted up". That would make sense if shift lock were set. But it
    > isn't.
    >
    > Next: the characters on the cipher button line appear as "!", etc,
    > but somehow mixed up.
    >
    > It took some twisted typing on the keybord with shift, shift lock,
    > etc. until normal case is back again.
    >
    > The problem persist with each boot and power line disconnected.
    >
    > With Linux (SuSE 11.2) dring boot 3 times an error message show up,
    > the first one complaining about "low memory...".
    >

    > It is NOT the keyboard. An external keyboard show just the same.
    >

    > I have never before seen such a thing.

    I have, on Asus laptops and netbooks. Don't mess with the BIOS or the
    CMOS battery. Disconnect the AC, remove the main battery, and press and
    hold the power button down for 10 seconds or longer. Replace the battery
    (and the AC if you want). Now it should be just fine.

    It that doesn't work, there should be a tiny hole that has a reset
    button (make sure it isn't a mic hole if you have a built in mic). If
    so, do the same except pressing the power button, press the reset button
    instead (with a straighten paperclip). And you should be just fine.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    BillW50, Apr 19, 2010
  5. Happy Oyster

    Happy Oyster Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:13:01 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Happy Oyster typed on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:13:00 +0300:
    >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:52:03 -0400, Barry Watzman
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are you SURE it's the BIOS and not Windows?

    >> Absolutely sure. I installed DOS. DOS boots, but suddenly I find the
    >> characters are messed up.
    >>
    >> Instead of "a" it is "A". That means that the character set is
    >> "shifted up". That would make sense if shift lock were set. But it
    >> isn't.
    >>
    >> Next: the characters on the cipher button line appear as "!", etc,
    >> but somehow mixed up.
    >>
    >> It took some twisted typing on the keybord with shift, shift lock,
    >> etc. until normal case is back again.
    >>
    >> The problem persist with each boot and power line disconnected.
    >>
    >> With Linux (SuSE 11.2) dring boot 3 times an error message show up,
    >> the first one complaining about "low memory...".
    >>

    >> It is NOT the keyboard. An external keyboard show just the same.
    >>

    >> I have never before seen such a thing.

    >I have, on Asus laptops and netbooks. Don't mess with the BIOS or the
    >CMOS battery. Disconnect the AC, remove the main battery, and press and
    >hold the power button down for 10 seconds or longer. Replace the battery
    >(and the AC if you want). Now it should be just fine.
    >
    >It that doesn't work, there should be a tiny hole that has a reset
    >button (make sure it isn't a mic hole if you have a built in mic). If
    >so, do the same except pressing the power button, press the reset button
    >instead (with a straighten paperclip). And you should be just fine.

    I found no reset button.

    The power supply battery is taken out. The power comes from the external supply.
    The plug I pulled out. Does not change a thing.

    There was a PCMCIA card with 2 USB connectors. When I had that in the notebook,
    I installed IBM PC-DOS 7. That is back from 1994... It asked me if I wanted to
    install PCMCIA support ("permanent"). As that perhaps would help me to use the
    cards with DOS (so I hoped), I clicked "yes". Deinstalling the stuff did not
    change a thing. I do not know WHERE it did WHAT. There is no description AND it
    referenced to some IBM stuff I never had heard of before.

    My first guess was that it had written some nonsense to the HDD (MBR or
    somewhere else), so I reinstalled DOS and Linux from scratch. Did not help...

    ..
    Happy Oyster, Apr 20, 2010
  6. Happy Oyster

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:eek:,
    Happy Oyster typed on Tue, 20 Apr 2010 02:51:17 +0300:
    > I found no reset button.
    >
    > The power supply battery is taken out. The power comes from the
    > external supply. The plug I pulled out. Does not change a thing.
    >
    > There was a PCMCIA card with 2 USB connectors. When I had that in the
    > notebook, I installed IBM PC-DOS 7. That is back from 1994... It
    > asked me if I wanted to install PCMCIA support ("permanent"). As that
    > perhaps would help me to use the cards with DOS (so I hoped), I
    > clicked "yes". Deinstalling the stuff did not change a thing. I do
    > not know WHERE it did WHAT. There is no description AND it referenced
    > to some IBM stuff I never had heard of before.
    >
    > My first guess was that it had written some nonsense to the HDD (MBR
    > or somewhere else), so I reinstalled DOS and Linux from scratch. Did
    > not help...

    Well it is possible that something is written to the boot drive to
    change the keyboard layout I suppose. But you could prove that by
    booting something else from floppy, CD/DVD, or flash, or other USB
    drive.

    Without any reset button. It can be a tiny hole on the bottom of the
    laptop, btw. There should be two CMOS reset pads on the motherboard. You
    shouldn't have to disassemble anything. As you should be able to see it
    by removing one of the trap doors on the bottom of the laptop. And just
    short the two pads together with the main battery and the AC removed. No
    need to remove the CMOS/RTC battery either.

    BillW50, Apr 20, 2010
  7. Happy Oyster

    Happy Oyster Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:20:49 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >Without any reset button. It can be a tiny hole on the bottom of the
    >laptop, btw. There should be two CMOS reset pads on the motherboard. You
    >shouldn't have to disassemble anything. As you should be able to see it
    >by removing one of the trap doors on the bottom of the laptop. And just
    >short the two pads together with the main battery and the AC removed. No
    >need to remove the CMOS/RTC battery either.

    There is no such hole to be found. It is a L2400D.

    What would the reset do? Reset the CMOS?
    Happy Oyster, Apr 20, 2010