how to rotate Input Panel?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Mike J, Nov 26, 2009.

  1. Mike J

    Mike J Guest

    I'd like to rotate the Input Panel to about 45 degrees for a natural writing
    angle. For example, I like to lay back with the tablet propped up vertically
    on my knees and I'd like to keep the laptop in portrait mode at 90 degrees
    and at the same time be able to write at about 45-60 degrees. Without the
    ability to rotate the Input Panel, I'm forced to rotate the whole laptop onto
    its corner in order to write which is uncomfortable and makes it difficult to
    view content. I find myself constantly rotating the laptop, alternating
    between input and reading modes.

    The same applies, really, to landscape mode.

    Just think of how you write at an angle, but typically read *not* at angle.

    Is this possible? I've searched the Windows help files and search engines
    to no avail.

    1. Advertising

  2. Mike J wrote:
    > I'd like to rotate the Input Panel to about 45 degrees for a natural
    > writing angle. For example, I like to lay back with the tablet
    > propped up vertically on my knees and I'd like to keep the laptop in
    > portrait mode at 90 degrees and at the same time be able to write at
    > about 45-60 degrees. Without the ability to rotate the Input Panel,
    > I'm forced to rotate the whole laptop onto its corner in order to
    > write which is uncomfortable and makes it difficult to view content.
    > I find myself constantly rotating the laptop, alternating between
    > input and reading modes.
    >
    > The same applies, really, to landscape mode.
    >
    > Just think of how you write at an angle, but typically read *not* at
    > angle.
    >
    > Is this possible? I've searched the Windows help files and search
    > engines to no avail.

    No, there is no such option.

    Rainald

    1. Advertising

  3. >> No, there is no such option. <<

    You must be a pocketpc user ;-) The decade old WinCE input utility
    "Transcriber" had this nice feature.

    Have you looked to see if angled handwriting in Journal can be
    recognized? If so, a workaround might be to write in Journal and
    cut/paste export it later.

    Beverly Howard

  4. Sven

    Sven Guest

    Yea, but it really didn't have an input panel. It was (is) a write anywhere
    thing. Did have the option to specify how you typically wrote though to
    increase the recognition potential, as you say. Phatware used to have a
    write anywhere feature for tablets, but I don't see it anymore. Maybe I am
    missing it, or some other third party has a solution.

    "Beverly Howard" <> wrote in message
    > >> No, there is no such option. <<

    > You must be a pocketpc user ;-) The decade old WinCE input utility
    > "Transcriber" had this nice feature.
    >
    > Have you looked to see if angled handwriting in Journal can be recognized?
    > If so, a workaround might be to write in Journal and cut/paste export it
    > later.
    >
    > Beverly Howard

  5. Mike J

    Mike J Guest

    Journal *does* recognize writing on an angle - thanks! I was really hoping
    for an operating system-wide capability... I hope Microsoft sees this - It
    seems like a basic requirement for tablet input done right.

    thanks guys,
    Mike

    "Beverly Howard" wrote:

    > >> No, there is no such option. <<

    > You must be a pocketpc user ;-) The decade old WinCE input utility
    > "Transcriber" had this nice feature.
    >
    > Have you looked to see if angled handwriting in Journal can be
    > recognized? If so, a workaround might be to write in Journal and
    > cut/paste export it later.
    >
    > Beverly Howard
    >

    > .

  6. A related throught...

    I use note's handwriting a lot on the ppc, but, I tend to use it as I
    would writing on a piece of paper... in other words, I don't "recognize"
    the writing but mainly use it as a handwritten written reference,
    especially when I'm it an extended situation were notes are going to be
    many and critical.

    That allows me to completely let go of the possibilities of recognizer
    errors and concentrate on the task at hand... no matter how bad my
    writing is, I can generally understand what I had written, where, in
    contrast, there is no way of easily deciphering a recognizer error long
    after the fact.

    Later, if I need the notes transcribed, notes allows selection and
    recognition of "chunks" so that the errors are obvious and easily
    corrected before moving on to the next "chunk"... the same process works
    in journal.

    An additional benefit is the ability to add sketches just as one would
    on paper.

    hth,
    Beverly Howard

  7. Mike J wrote:
    > I hope Microsoft sees this - It seems like a basic requirement
    > for tablet input done right.

    You are hoping in vain.

    This unmonitored NewsGroup is just a peer-to-peer place. It's not a
    location for reaching MS.

    Rainald