How to turn off spontaneous deferral on Itanium?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Jungrae Kim, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Jungrae Kim

    Jungrae Kim Guest

    Hi,
    I'm a graduate student developing JAVA JIT compiler on Itanium.
    Working with Itanium, I got a problem with speculative loads and needs
    your kind help to get out of it.

    Here's my situation,
    I'm trying to use the "speculative load" feature of IA64 for
    performance. But I found speculative loads sometimes mark target
    register with NaT bits even if all the conditions are successful.

    I suspect the reason for the unexpected deferrals is "spontaneous
    deferral". According to "Intel Itanium architecture software
    developer's manual (revision 2.1)",
    "In addition to the deferral of exceptional conditions, speculative
    loads may be deferred automatically by hardware based on
    implementation-dependent criteria, such as the detection of a cache
    miss. Such deferral is referred to as 'spontaneous deferral', and is
    done in order to increase performance"(volume 2, section 5.5.5
    "deferral of speculative load faults")

    I wonder spontaneous deferral is turned on by default on Itanium.
    If so, I wanna know how to turn it off or bypass it.
    (I found several options on the manual to turn the spontaneous
    deferral off, but they all required system privilege.

    Your kind help will be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jungrae Kim, Jun 24, 2003