HP / Compaq have succeeded !!

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by VmnEjG, Aug 5, 2007.

  1. VmnEjG

    VmnEjG Guest

    Hello everyone !

    I have an motherboard from a Compaq Presario Desktop PC 7EL7000T-131. I have
    tryed to find a manual or some information regarding the "LED-Connectors" on
    this
    MOBO. Can anybody help or know an URL for this ?!.

    I would be so happy, send an ice-cream and a couple of shorts !!.

    It really are amazing how hard it is to find drivers manuals etc. on those
    companys bloody homepage´s.
    If legally possible somebody should set up a page with
    drivers etc. that doesn´t take a day to find.
    I might be a stupid unintelligent person, but I´m not alone.
    I´m now looking for the adress to the company here in Sweden, I will visit
    there office and hide soooo much stuff
    for them. YES It´s revenge !!.

    Thank´s in advance !

    Mr. Power Switch

    PC 7EL7000T-131
    succeeded

    VmnEjG, Aug 5, 2007

  2. VmnEjG

    - Bobb - Guest

    Not every bit of info for every part is kept online forever. As stock of
    parts is depleted, there is no need to keep the info online. If you try
    to search for parts info on that model, you get:

    "Information is not available on HP PartSurfer for this product. For parts
    information, please call (800) 227-8164 between 5 AM and 6 PM Pacific
    Time, Monday thru Friday."

    So follow instructions here, and enter THAT info to search for.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=94674&lang=en#N542

    If no hits, then you'll not find it at HP. Especially if the info you are
    looking for is ' nice to know' but not necessary to repair. ( designed to
    swap out MOBO , not repair it onsite)

    Try ebay etc for your model PC. I often find what info I need for old
    models there.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Aug 6, 2007

  3. Hi!

    > I have tryed to find a manual or some information regarding the
    > "LED-Connectors" on this MOBO. Can anybody help or know an
    > URL for this ?!.

    Try looking at the connector with a magnifying glass to see if it might have
    markings on it that tell you what connector would go where. You might get
    lucky and it only takes a few minutes.

    If this is a relatively new PC (within the last five years or so), you might
    also try looking on the motherboard for a model number. Such a number can
    usually be found between the PCI expansion slots or in the middle of the
    board. Punch that number into Google or your favorite search engine and see
    what you find. You may find that the board in your computer is nothing more
    than a rebadged version of a model sold by any of the big motherboard
    makers.

    I recently did that with a new Compaq and found that the motherboard inside
    was nothing more than a variant of a model offered by ECS/Elitegroup.
    Although the Compaq variant has only one PCI Express slot, it still took the
    ECS BIOS and drivers without issue. Strangely enough, the CPU has a Asus fan
    and heatsink on it.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 6, 2007
  4. VmnEjG

    Ben Myers Guest

    ECS/Elitegroup? A new low in quality, then, for the HPaq. This is simply
    another motherboard made by that paragon of manufacturers, PCChips, and
    stickered with ECS/Elitegroup markings to cover up the origin of manufacture.
    PCChips achieved its reputation by placing fake cache chips on its 486
    motherboards way back when.

    HPaq boards OEM'ed from Asus and FIC are at least respectable in quality.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 6, 2007
  5. Hi!

    > ECS/Elitegroup? A new low in quality, then, for the HPaq.

    That's what it is, but in model # only. There isn't a sticker on it
    proclaiming its maker. The model # has an extra "H" and does not match up
    precisely with any ECS product.

    Some Google searching turned up a technical information page (don't have it
    handy right now, nor am I front of the system) from HP stating that the
    board was made by ECS/Elitegroup. I do happen to think that the board is of
    decent quality and looks to be reasonably well made. I wouldn't have
    associated it with PC Chips. Yes, the system is a low-end inexpensive model
    sold at a steep discount.

    I still don't know why it's got an Asus fan/sink assembly on it. I didn't
    know they sold those standalone. (But then again, perhaps someone grabbed
    the wrong brand for the finished system.

    > PCChips achieved its reputation by placing fake cache chips on its 486
    > motherboards way back when.

    Interestingly, I have a loose 286-20MHz (featuring a Harris Semiconductor
    80286-20 CPU) PC Chips board that is still working great. I have used it for
    a variety of things, but most of the time it sits around on an anti-static
    mat. Even the onboard battery is still working and accepting a charge when
    powered up. I don't know, but this would seem to suggest that at one time
    (now past us, or so I think) PC Chips did know how to build a good board.

    > HPaq boards OEM'ed from Asus and FIC are at least respectable in quality.

    I have a 2005-era eMachine across the room from the Compaq that is using a
    FIC board. Haven't seen too many of those...but this one has always been
    reliable. When I've built my own systems, I've used Asus boards. Only two
    exceptions exist--one system I put together needed a lot of PCI slots and
    only Supermicro had enough. (Asus marketed a board that would have worked,
    but it looked to be vaporware when I got there with my needs.) The second
    was a system built around an Iwill P55TV (loved that board) and a Cyrix 6x86
    CPU (didn't really like the CPU). It worked until I zapped the board while
    working on the system.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 9, 2007
  6. VmnEjG

    Ben Myers Guest

    It is common, nay, the usual practice for PCChips-ECS-Amptron-Matsonic-etc to
    obscure as much as possible the origin of motherboards. Very few markings on
    the boards themselves, although the BIOS identifiers typically give away the
    manufacturer. If you are unfortunate enough to ever get a boxed retail version
    of one of their boards, the box betrays nothing about the ultimate manufacturing
    source, and the installation manual contains no clue as to manufacturer or tech
    support contact.

    Pride of ownership in ones products? Just the opposite. The attitude
    expressed is one of "Here is the product. Don't EVER bother me." Part of the
    whole scam is to come up with these other brand names... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 9, 2007