HP DesignJet 800 Printer Banding Printing Problem.

Discussion in 'HP' started by Phil Spyder, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Phil Spyder

    Phil Spyder Guest

    Wondering if anyone can please help me on this…

    I am a professional photographer and print large photorealistic
    posters on an HP DesignJet 800 - 42” Printer using Adobe PhotoShop7,
    Win XP Pro SP2 on a Dual Core Pentium Intel Platform with 2GB Computer
    RAM, 250GB Computer Hard Drive along with 160 MB Printer RAM (Max RAM
    the printer will allow) and a 20GB Printer Hard Drive.

    I have no difficulty printing both TIFF or JPEG files up to a file
    size of about 55MB with the “Best (Enhanced)” feature for “Images” at
    “Maximum Detail” enabled on the “Paper/Quality” tab of the “HP
    DesignJet 800 Properties” window and am very happy with the print
    quality this setup delivers. However, when I try printing anything
    larger than this file size, every print I try gives me a pair of
    banding lines at about one third and another pair of banding lines at
    about two thirds the way through of the print’s length using the
    “Portrait” orientation.

    Does anybody know what might be causing this and if there is a
    workable fix that can resolve this problem? I’ve recently upgraded the
    printer’s RAM from the standard 96 MB to the full 160 MB and that
    didn’t help at all. As far as I can see I think I have enough capacity
    in terms of computer and printer memory. I’m now wondering if a RIP
    might not resolve this problem. Does anyone have any similar
    experiences and if so can you please tell me if installing a software
    based RIP helped to resolve this or a similar problem? If so, which
    RIP is best? Features vs. Price, etc… Any help would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Phil
    Phil Spyder, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Phil Spyder

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Phil Spyder" <> wrote in message
    > Wondering if anyone can please help me on this…

    > I have no difficulty printing both TIFF or JPEG files up to a file
    > size of about 55MB with the “Best (Enhanced)” feature for “Images” at
    > “Maximum Detail” enabled on the “Paper/Quality” tab of the “HP
    > DesignJet 800 Properties” window and am very happy with the print
    > quality this setup delivers. However, when I try printing anything
    > larger than this file size, every print I try gives me a pair of
    > banding lines at about one third and another pair of banding lines at
    > about two thirds the way through of the print’s length using the
    > “Portrait” orientation.

    Have you tried printing from other software? If so does it do the same thing?
    We have a DesignJet 800ps (42") here and see no problem like that.
    We usually use CorelDraw to do our printing. Sometimes we get posters made in
    PowerPoint since some users only know haw to use that. No problem there,
    either.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Sep 11, 2008