    thanks very much,

    John
    , Sep 18, 2008

  2. ShadowTek Guest

    wrote in news:5f90b715-6447-4e10-af65-675b46cdf2f5
    @x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a dv9000 HP laptop that has suddenly started to shut itself off
    > after it's been on for a while. Last night, I was watching television
    > on it in my dorm when it suddenly shut down. I believe this is heat
    > related and am not sure what to do about it. The laptop is about 12
    > months old, has a Vista OS, sets squarely on the desk with nothing
    > under it (clothing, table clothes, etc). It was on for a little over
    > an hour when this happened and it hasn't been all that hot here in the
    > PNW these past days so... Anyone else have similar problems or know
    > what I might do about it?
    >
    > thanks very much,
    >
    > John

    You could test for hardware stability by running a Memtest+86 boot disk. If
    you get any errors, then you'll know that you have a hardware problem.

    You could also try installing something like Speedfan for Windows, which
    will give you a good listing of your available temperature sensors. Once
    installed, you could try running a few stress tests to see what kind of
    temps are being generated.
    ShadowTek, Sep 18, 2008

  3. AJ Lake Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a dv9000 HP laptop that has suddenly started to shut itself off
    >after it's been on for a while... I believe this is heat related...

    Have you checked your fan compartment? It may be clogged with dust. On my HP
    laptop (zd7000) there is a bottom panel for access to the compartment. My
    laptop has never shut down when it's clogged, but I sure know it because the
    fans will speed up much higher than normal.
    AJ Lake, Sep 18, 2008