HP P400 RAID controller reporting p-disks incorrectly

Discussion in 'HP' started by Harout S. Hedeshian, Jun 24, 2009.

  1. Has anyone using the P400 controller experienced the ACU CLI utility
    reporting the physical disks incorrectly? Whenever I do a show config
    detail from the hpacucli (and hpaducli), it reports the three drives
    as all being 0:0 with box 0 bay 0 and is reporting the model
    information for the disk repeated. This is problematic as I can't
    perform operations on the disks individually. The disks are SATA3G
    (1.5G limited by controller). I am running the card on an Intel
    S5000XSL motherboard in a supermicro chassis. I don't expect the card
    to report bay/box given the non-hp backplane, but why all drives on
    channel 0:0 with the first drive repeated? I can't figure it out. Of
    course, I have the latest firmware and hpacucli.

    After some googling, I found this forum thread on HP with no
    resolution:
    http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service...47626 1245803945537 28353475&threadId=1296865

    What's also inconsistent is the drive show NCQ capable and enabled by
    the controller config shows false...

    Thanks for the input,

    Harout

    HP Array Configuration Utility CLI 8.28-13.0
    => ctrl slot=3 show config detail

    Smart Array P400 in Slot 3
    Bus Interface: PCI
    Slot: 3
    Serial Number: PA5360BBFT4NKZ
    Cache Serial Number: PA82C0CBFSY6UC
    RAID 6 (ADG) Status: Enabled
    Controller Status: OK
    Chassis Slot:
    Hardware Revision: Rev B
    Firmware Version: 5.26
    Rebuild Priority: High
    Expand Priority: Medium
    Surface Scan Delay: 15 secs
    Post Prompt Timeout: 0 secs
    Cache Board Present: True
    Cache Status: OK
    Accelerator Ratio: 25% Read / 75% Write
    Drive Write Cache: Disabled
    Total Cache Size: 256 MB
    No-Battery Write Cache: Disabled
    Cache Backup Power Source: Batteries
    Battery/Capacitor Count: 1
    Battery/Capacitor Status: OK
    SATA NCQ Supported: False

    Array: A
    Interface Type: SATA
    Unused Space: 0 MB
    MultiDomain Status: OK

    Logical Drive: 1
    Size: 596.1 GB
    Fault Tolerance: RAID 5
    Heads: 255
    Sectors Per Track: 32
    Cylinders: 65535
    Stripe Size: 256 KB
    MultiDomain Status: OK
    Array Accelerator: Enabled
    Parity Initialization Status: Initialization Completed
    Unique Identifier: 600508B1001042424654344E4B5A0008
    Disk Name: /dev/cciss/c0d0
    Mount Points: /volumes/c0d0p1 596.1 GB
    Logical Drive Label: A021625DPA5360BBFT4NKZD3C7

    physicaldrive 0:0
    Box: 0
    Bay: 0
    Drive Type: Data Drive
    Interface Type: SATA
    Size: 320.0 GB
    Firmware Revision: 3.AAE
    Serial Number: 6QF1SA0A
    Model: ATA ST3320620AS
    SATA NCQ Capable: True
    SATA NCQ Enabled: True
    PHY Count: 1
    PHY Transfer Rate: 1.5GBPS
    physicaldrive 0:0
    Box: 0
    Bay: 0
    Drive Type: Data Drive
    Interface Type: SATA
    Size: 320.0 GB
    Firmware Revision: 3.AAE
    Serial Number: 6QF1SA0A
    Model: ATA ST3320620AS
    SATA NCQ Capable: True
    SATA NCQ Enabled: True
    PHY Count: 1
    PHY Transfer Rate: 1.5GBPS
    physicaldrive 0:0
    Box: 0
    Bay: 0
    Drive Type: Data Drive
    Interface Type: SATA
    Size: 320.0 GB
    Firmware Revision: 3.AAE
    Serial Number: 6QF1SA0A
    Model: ATA ST3320620AS
    SATA NCQ Capable: True
    SATA NCQ Enabled: True
    PHY Count: 1
    PHY Transfer Rate: 1.5GBPS

    1. Advertising

  2. * Harout S. Hedeshian:
    > Has anyone using the P400 controller experienced the ACU CLI utility
    > reporting the physical disks incorrectly? Whenever I do a show config
    > detail from the hpacucli (and hpaducli), it reports the three drives
    > as all being 0:0 with box 0 bay 0 and is reporting the model
    > information for the disk repeated. This is problematic as I can't
    > perform operations on the disks individually. The disks are SATA3G
    > (1.5G limited by controller). I am running the card on an Intel
    > S5000XSL motherboard in a supermicro chassis. I don't expect the card
    > to report bay/box given the non-hp backplane, but why all drives on
    > channel 0:0 with the first drive repeated?

    Because the HP utilities are not able to resolve the drive location due
    to the lack of a HP backplane. If you look at a HP backplane you'll
    notice that there is more on it than just SATA/SAS connectors and power
    connectors, it contains some logic which tells the controller the slot
    numbers and the type of enclosure. Standard backplanes don't have this
    logic, so the HP utilities report all disks as 0:0.

    I have a ProLiant ML350G5 with the original 6-slot (4+2 slots) backplane
    and a non-HP (Icy Box) 4-slot backplane (the Icy Box BP and the 4 slots
    of teh HP backplane are connected to a Smart Array P400, the 2 slots of
    the HP backplane are connected to a Smart Array E200), and ADU/ACU both
    show the same 0:0 for the disks in the Icy Box backplane.

    > What's also inconsistent is the drive show NCQ capable and enabled by
    > the controller config shows false...

    Sure, since the Smart Array P400 only supports SATA 1.5Gbps (SATA1)
    which while not being a performance bottleneck doesn't support NCQ
    (which requires SATA2).

    Benjamin

    1. Advertising

  3. > Because the HP utilities are not able to resolve the drive location due
    > to the lack of a HP backplane. If you look at a HP backplane you'll
    > notice that there is more on it than just SATA/SAS connectors and power
    > connectors, it contains some logic which tells the controller the slot
    > numbers and the type of enclosure. Standard backplanes don't have this
    > logic, so the HP utilities report all disks as 0:0.

    I was afraid of this. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be
    a workaround. It seems kind of odd that retailers (like Newegg) will
    sell the card as a drop-in solution if you need to install it in HP
    hardware to use the management tools? The breakout cables I bought
    have 6-pin connectors for the SES logic. It looks like my backplane
    (Supermicro SATA-743) doesn't have the headers. Is there a way to
    override the management tool's faulty thinking? The card doesn't seem
    to have a problem on bootup. This is quite crippling.

    > I have a ProLiant ML350G5 with the original 6-slot (4+2 slots) backplane
    > and a non-HP (Icy Box) 4-slot backplane (the Icy Box BP and the 4 slots
    > of teh HP backplane are connected to a Smart Array P400, the 2 slots of
    > the HP backplane are connected to a Smart Array E200), and ADU/ACU both
    > show the same 0:0 for the disks in the Icy Box backplane.

  4. * Harout S. Hedeshian:

    > I was afraid of this. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be
    > a workaround. It seems kind of odd that retailers (like Newegg) will
    > sell the card as a drop-in solution if you need to install it in HP
    > hardware to use the management tools?

    You don't need to install it in a HP server just to use the management
    tools.

    > The breakout cables I bought
    > have 6-pin connectors for the SES logic. It looks like my backplane
    > (Supermicro SATA-743) doesn't have the headers. Is there a way to
    > override the management tool's faulty thinking? The card doesn't seem
    > to have a problem on bootup. This is quite crippling.

    There is no way to change the management tools display (which isn't
    faulty btw but fully correct), but there also is no need to. The
    management tools still work perfectly fine, and if your backplane
    supports activity/fault display (my Icy Box does) then if a drive fails
    it will show up via the fault LED of the affected drive.

    Also, you should not forget that these controllers are made for use in
    HP ProLiant and Integrity servers and nowhere else. HP doesn't sell them
    for use in other machines, and they also don't support that. However,
    aside from the (more cosmetical) problem that the HP tools are unable to
    detect a drive's location without the right backplane, the Smart Array
    controllers work perfectly fine in most non-HP machines. Which is good
    since the Smart Arrays are one of the best hardware RAID controllers you
    can get.

    Benjamin

  5. >>The management tools still work perfectly fine.
    I disagree. I can't add/change/assign hot spares, create new arrays
    etc... because all drives are 0:0. That makes it BROKEN. Unless, of
    course, your definition of broken is the same as Microsoft's.
    I can see array status just fine, and migrate stripe size just fine. I
    unplugged one drive and the ACUCLI showed all drives as failed
    (although the array was clearly functional). I then reinserted the
    drives and the controller rebuilt it no problem (and the ACU showed
    correct status/progress). But seriously, no being able to manipulate
    the p-disks is a showstopper because ORCA is useless.

    I ordered the SAS backplane (CSE-SAS-743TQ) for my chassis and the
    associated cables (CBL-0175L-01). The backplane supports SES-II
    management through 8-pin sideband connectors. It supports I2C and
    SGPIO. It will be interesting to see if it works.

  6. * Harout S. Hedeshian:
    >>> The management tools still work perfectly fine.

    > I disagree. I can't add/change/assign hot spares, create new arrays
    > etc... because all drives are 0:0.

    Strange, as I can add/change/assign hot spares, create new arrays etc.
    even with the drives that are listed as 0:0.

    > That makes it BROKEN. Unless, of
    > course, your definition of broken is the same as Microsoft's.

    What should that be, another stupid anti-MS rant? I can give you a long
    list of things that are still broken in Linux while working fine in
    Windows for years, but that has nothing to do with the topic of this
    thread or this newsgroup. So please keep your stupid OS flamewars out of
    here.

    And just a little reality check for you: it is *you* who put together a
    bunch of unsupported hardware to build a server, by doing so it should
    have been obvious that there are potential problems waiting to arise
    (which is one reason why for anything that needs at least some form of
    reliability it is just silly to build a server from standard hardware,
    especially when considering that brand name servers like HP ProLiants
    aren't necessarily more expensive).

    The HP tools are *not* broken because they work for what they have been
    designed for (managing HP disk drives in HP servers and drive enclosures
    using HP controllers). It is hardly HP's fault if you use the wrong
    hardware.

    > I can see array status just fine, and migrate stripe size just fine. I
    > unplugged one drive and the ACUCLI showed all drives as failed
    > (although the array was clearly functional). I then reinserted the
    > drives and the controller rebuilt it no problem (and the ACU showed
    > correct status/progress). But seriously, no being able to manipulate
    > the p-disks is a showstopper because ORCA is useless.

    This sounds to me as if your backplane is a really primitive one which
    only has SATA and power connectors. If this is the case then the
    controller has no way to communicate with it.

    > I ordered the SAS backplane (CSE-SAS-743TQ) for my chassis and the
    > associated cables (CBL-0175L-01). The backplane supports SES-II
    > management through 8-pin sideband connectors. It supports I2C and
    > SGPIO. It will be interesting to see if it works.

    It should, but the problem of ACU/ADU showing 0:0 for all drives will
    probably persist.

    Benjamin

  7. Benjamin Gawert <> wrote:
    > * Harout S. Hedeshian:

    >> I disagree. I can't add/change/assign hot spares, create new arrays
    >> etc... because all drives are 0:0.

    > Strange, as I can add/change/assign hot spares, create new arrays etc.
    > even with the drives that are listed as 0:0.
    >
    >> That makes it BROKEN. Unless, of
    >> course, your definition of broken is the same as Microsoft's.

    > What should that be, another stupid anti-MS rant? I can give you a long
    > list of things that are still broken in Linux while working fine in
    > Windows for years, but that has nothing to do with the topic of this
    > thread or this newsgroup. So please keep your stupid OS flamewars out of
    > here.
    >
    > And just a little reality check for you: it is *you* who put together a
    > bunch of unsupported hardware to build a server, by doing so it should
    > have been obvious that there are potential problems waiting to arise
    > (which is one reason why for anything that needs at least some form of
    > reliability it is just silly to build a server from standard hardware,
    > especially when considering that brand name servers like HP ProLiants
    > aren't necessarily more expensive).

    Ha.

    Benjamin is correct here. It's just not possibly to make a storage system
    better than HP does yourself. HP's PC server lineup (Proliants) even make
    larger storage systems from places like Sun look childish and stupid as
    well.