    --
    Ignorantly,
    Allan Adler <>
    Allan Adler, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Allan Adler

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Allan Adler <> wrote:
    > When it was alive, it ran Redhat 7.2 Linux. This morning,
    > I turned it on, went into emacs and then walked away for
    > a moment. When I came back, the terminal was frozen. When I pressed the
    > on/off switch, it wouldn't shut off. I turned off the terminal strip
    > and then turned it back on and rebooted. It got as far as the screen telling
    > you to press F1 for setup and just hung. Again the on/off switch didn't
    > work. I turned off the terminal strip and turned it on again. This time
    > all I got was a black screen. This is my main computer for all my work
    > and I haven't backed it up in at least a year. Hopefully, the hard drive
    > is ok, but I'm not sure what to do.

    Remove the HDD, put it in a different computer as secondary HDD
    and read your data from it. I think you have a pretty good chance
    of this being not a disk-issue.

    Ways to connect to another computer also include per external
    USB-connected enclosure. If you are ubnsure on how to do that, get
    somebody with more experience to help you.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Allan Adler

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Allan Adler" <> wrote in message
    > When it was alive, it ran Redhat 7.2 Linux. This morning,
    > I turned it on, went into emacs and then walked away for
    > a moment. When I came back, the terminal was frozen. When I pressed the
    > on/off switch, it wouldn't shut off. I turned off the terminal strip
    > and then turned it back on and rebooted. It got as far as the screen
    > telling
    > you to press F1 for setup and just hung. Again the on/off switch didn't
    > work. I turned off the terminal strip and turned it on again. This time
    > all I got was a black screen. This is my main computer for all my work
    > and I haven't backed it up in at least a year. Hopefully, the hard drive
    > is ok, but I'm not sure what to do.

    The inability to shut it off with the on/off button suggests that this may
    be a dying power supply which has keeled over a little bit more each time
    you tried to reboot it.
    M.I.5¾, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Allan Adler

    Allan Adler Guest

    Allan Adler <> writes:

    > When it was alive, it ran Redhat 7.2 Linux. This morning,
    > I turned it on, went into emacs and then walked away for
    > a moment. When I came back, the terminal was frozen. When I pressed the
    > on/off switch, it wouldn't shut off. I turned off the terminal strip
    > and then turned it back on and rebooted. It got as far as the screen telling
    > you to press F1 for setup and just hung. Again the on/off switch didn't
    > work. I turned off the terminal strip and turned it on again. This time
    > all I got was a black screen. This is my main computer for all my work
    > and I haven't backed it up in at least a year. Hopefully, the hard drive
    > is ok, but I'm not sure what to do.

    A friend of mine who is good at hardware came over to look at this
    computer and the other failed computers in my apartment and fixed them
    all. I'll comment on the others in the threads in which I mentioned
    them.

    What my friend did provided an important lesson in dealing with hardware:
    sometimes, all you have to do is open the thing up, remove components and
    put them back and it will then work. That is basically what happened.

    The computer was absolutely in the dismal state I described in my original
    posting. He removed the power supply from its bay to make it easy to get
    at parts, but didn't unplug it. I don't remember all the details of what
    happened. At one point, it did start but at a certain point in power up,
    after the memory check, it complained about a memory error. We shut off
    the machine (by the way, the reason that the off button didn't work is
    that it was never intended to work: one of the way the system is protected
    is that pressing the off button triggers a power down response from the
    BIOS, and if the BIOS doesn't get off the ground in the first place,
    it can't respond to pushing the off button) by turning off the power
    strip. Then my friend removed the lower 64 MB memory module and put it
    aside and moved the upper 128 MB memory module into its place. This
    was sufficient to start the machine and boot Linux. He then put the
    64 MB module into the place formerly occupied by the 128 MB module
    and it also worked. Then, just to be thorough, he switched them back
    and it still worked. So, it just seems to have been a problem with
    memory modules coming loose and needing to be reseated.

    It boots just fine and everything is intact, just as I left it. So, I can
    now get back to work on what I was doing before this hiatus. There is,
    however, another problem.

    At my friend's suggestion, I obtained a 250 GB external HD to facilitate
    backing up my system. There is a resident USB 1.1 (?) card which my friend
    thought would be too slow to back up gigabytes of data. So, he brought a
    USB 2.1 (?) card that he said ought to copy stuff much more quickly to
    the external HD. I think he removed mine from and inserted his in Slot #1.
    We tested the external HD with his cards and with the resident USB port on
    the motherboard found that, perhaps for reasons having to do with the version
    of Linux (RedHat 7.1), it was no faster to use his card. So, he removed it as
    the last official act before closing up the machine and put mine back. That
    was when the new problem appeared.

    On bootup, on the screen where it tells you to press F1 for setup,
    the following message appeared after the memory test:

    WARNING
    ERROR
    Resource Conflict -- PCI Network Controller in Slot 01
    Bus: 01 Device 0E Function: 00

    It offered the choice of F1 for setup or F2 to continue. There was no
    useful information in setup. I pressed F2 and it continued to boot
    Linux normally and seems to work fine. I guess I should test the USB
    ports again with a flash drive or the external HD. But this successful
    boot didn't actually change anything: I get the same error every time I
    boot up now. It just means I have to press F2 as part of the boot
    process.

    If someone knows what might be going on with this new problem, please let
    me in on it.
    --
    Ignorantly,
    Allan Adler <>