    supply. The box is completely clean all plugs and cards are plugged in
    tightly. The green light on the back of the machine goes out when the
    power button is pushed.

    John, Mar 17, 2009

  2. John

    papajon Guest

    On Mar 17, 10:26 am, John <> wrote:
    > I received this computer from a friend and I believe it is the power
    > supply.  The box is completely clean all plugs and cards are plugged in
    > tightly.  The green light on the back of the machine goes out when the
    > power button is pushed.

    This sounds like you have the answer.

    papajon, Mar 17, 2009

  3. John

    Ben Myers Guest

    John wrote:
    > I received this computer from a friend and I believe it is the power
    > supply. The box is completely clean all plugs and cards are plugged in
    > tightly. The green light on the back of the machine goes out when the
    > power button is pushed.

    It's either the power supply or the motherboard. The a414x uses a
    standard ATX12v connector and 4-pin 12v connector from power supply to
    motherboard. The best advice I can give is to borrow another power
    supply to try, or to buy one. Why? Because a power supply is far less
    expensive than a replacement motherboard. The problem could also be
    that BOTH have failed, because HP uses the notoriously bad Bestec power
    supplies in some HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario models. When a Bestec
    brand power supply has failed, odds are real good that it would also
    take out the motherboard with a jolt of current.

    In short, don't put too much money into finding out which parts need
    replacing. Your friend may have given you a lousy gift... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 18, 2009
  4. John

    Chris H Guest

    Pick up one of those ATX power supply testers, disconnect the supply
    from the motherboard, and see if it's delivering the right voltages.
    A PS is a lot less of a hassle to replace than a motherboard, if that's
    the problem.

    Or, as has already been suggested, swap in a known good PS.

    You'll either fix the problem or at least narrow it down.

    Good Luck!

    Chris

    Chris H, Mar 18, 2009
  5. John

    John Guest

    Chris H wrote:
    > Pick up one of those ATX power supply testers, disconnect the supply
    > from the motherboard, and see if it's delivering the right voltages.
    > A PS is a lot less of a hassle to replace than a motherboard, if that's
    > the problem.
    >
    > Or, as has already been suggested, swap in a known good PS.
    >
    > You'll either fix the problem or at least narrow it down.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > John wrote:
    >> I received this computer from a friend and I believe it is the power
    >> supply. The box is completely clean all plugs and cards are plugged
    >> in tightly. The green light on the back of the machine goes out when
    >> the power button is pushed.

    Thanks to all of you that have replied. I will try a power Supply and
    if it doesn't work then I will give a Deep 6 in the recycle bin. We
    have a someone that picks them up for no cost.

    John, Mar 18, 2009