HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card?

Discussion in 'HP' started by fl, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. fl

    fl Guest

    Hi,
    I have a HP Pavilion a820n computer. I would like to replace the on-
    board graphics card with a plug-in type in order to use my LCD
    monitor(1680X1050). On ebay, I find some cards are PCI-Express. On
    internet I find the mother board in Pavilion a802n has three PCI
    slots, see below. I want to know whether the PCI Express card can work
    in my computer. Thanks in advance.

    Expansion slots: Three PCI

    fl, Jun 24, 2008

  2. fl

    fl Guest

    On Jun 23, 8:36 pm, fl <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a HP Pavilion a820n computer. I would like to replace the on-
    > board graphics card with a plug-in type in order to use my LCD
    > monitor(1680X1050). On ebay, I find some cards are PCI-Express. On
    > internet I find the mother board in Pavilion a802n has three PCI
    > slots, see below. I want to know whether the PCI Express card can work
    > in my computer. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Expansion slots:  Three PCI

    Although the specification of a820n says that it has three PCI slots.
    I see only one notch in the bus connector. So, it is PCI or PCI
    Express bus? Thanks.

    fl, Jun 24, 2008

  3. fl

    Ben Myers Guest

    The motherboard in the A820n is a low-end one which lacks any sort of true video
    card slot, either AGP or PCI-Express. PCI and PCI-Express are incompatible,
    despite the similarities in names. Your only choice with the system would be a
    PCI card capable of handling the LCD resolution... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 24, 2008
  4. fl

    ShadowTek Guest

    ShadowTek, Jul 3, 2008