HP Pavilion Laptop Died

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Williams, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. Williams

    Williams Guest

    3-year old HP Pavilion DV9700
    Windows Vista (current with Windows Update)
    2 GB RAM (OEM)
    WD 320 GB HD (installed for about two months as boot drive)
    Hitachi 160 GB GD (original, now installed as backup)
    Three month old battery with no performance problems.

    Laptop has been trouble free until today. While typing an e-mail, the
    PC became unresponsive. It was locked up, could not Ctl-Alt-Del out of
    it. So I shut it down by holding down the power button.

    When I tried to restart it, it did not boot up. The blue lights came on
    the keyboard and the fan on the bottom ran, but after 2 or 3 seconds it
    powered down. It did not even get to the HP "splash" screen so I could
    go into the BIOS. On its own it tried to restart after about 8 seconds.
    This repeated until I unplugged it and removed the battery.

    Troubleshooting so far:
    1. Unplugged the AC adapter and tried from battery alone. Same results.
    2. Removed battery and tried from AC alone. Same results.
    3. Removed WD HD and tried to boot from Hitachi HD. Same results.
    4. Removed both HD and tried to boot from Windows CD. Same results.

    What am I dealing with here? Are there any further troubleshooting steps
    to try?

    TIA,
    Craig
    Williams, Jan 10, 2011

  2. Williams

    Williams Guest

    Follow-up: I learned how to do a Hard Reset. No change. I removed
    each memory module one at a time. No change.

    Williams, Jan 10, 2011

  3. Williams

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:CyGWo.10921$,
    Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:34:43 -0600:
    > 3-year old HP Pavilion DV9700
    > Windows Vista (current with Windows Update)
    > 2 GB RAM (OEM)
    > WD 320 GB HD (installed for about two months as boot drive)
    > Hitachi 160 GB GD (original, now installed as backup)
    > Three month old battery with no performance problems.
    >
    > Laptop has been trouble free until today. While typing an e-mail, the
    > PC became unresponsive. It was locked up, could not Ctl-Alt-Del out
    > of it. So I shut it down by holding down the power button.
    >
    > When I tried to restart it, it did not boot up. The blue lights came
    > on the keyboard and the fan on the bottom ran, but after 2 or 3
    > seconds it powered down. It did not even get to the HP "splash"
    > screen so I could go into the BIOS. On its own it tried to restart
    > after about 8 seconds. This repeated until I unplugged it and
    > removed the battery.
    > Troubleshooting so far:
    > 1. Unplugged the AC adapter and tried from battery alone. Same
    > results. 2. Removed battery and tried from AC alone. Same results.
    > 3. Removed WD HD and tried to boot from Hitachi HD. Same results.
    > 4. Removed both HD and tried to boot from Windows CD. Same results.
    >
    > What am I dealing with here? Are there any further troubleshooting
    > steps to try?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Craig

    Other things to try...

    1) Remove AC, remove battery, then press the power button down and keep
    it down for 10 seconds. Now try to use the laptop normally.

    2) Remove the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, WiFi card, RAM, and anything
    else like Bluetooth, etc. The idea here is one of these failed and maybe
    causing a fault. Last thing to disconnect to try would be the LCD panel.
    Although it is best to use an external monitor so you can see what is
    happening on the screen.

    3) The fan(s) could have failed and most laptops will power it down it
    the speed isn't right. The fan and laptop could be clod full of dust
    which can cause the laptop to shut down too.

    4) If none of this helps, sounds like the motherboard needs to be
    replaced. Say what kind of video chip does it supposed to have?

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jan 10, 2011
  4. Williams

    Williams Guest

    On 1/10/2011 11:17 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:CyGWo.10921$,
    > Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:34:43 -0600:
    >> 3-year old HP Pavilion DV9700
    >> Windows Vista (current with Windows Update)
    >> 2 GB RAM (OEM)
    >> WD 320 GB HD (installed for about two months as boot drive)
    >> Hitachi 160 GB GD (original, now installed as backup)
    >> Three month old battery with no performance problems.
    >>
    >> Laptop has been trouble free until today. While typing an e-mail, the
    >> PC became unresponsive. It was locked up, could not Ctl-Alt-Del out
    >> of it. So I shut it down by holding down the power button.
    >>
    >> When I tried to restart it, it did not boot up. The blue lights came
    >> on the keyboard and the fan on the bottom ran, but after 2 or 3
    >> seconds it powered down. It did not even get to the HP "splash"
    >> screen so I could go into the BIOS. On its own it tried to restart
    >> after about 8 seconds. This repeated until I unplugged it and
    >> removed the battery.
    >> Troubleshooting so far:
    >> 1. Unplugged the AC adapter and tried from battery alone. Same
    >> results. 2. Removed battery and tried from AC alone. Same results.
    >> 3. Removed WD HD and tried to boot from Hitachi HD. Same results.
    >> 4. Removed both HD and tried to boot from Windows CD. Same results.
    >>
    >> What am I dealing with here? Are there any further troubleshooting
    >> steps to try?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Craig

    > Other things to try...
    >
    > 1) Remove AC, remove battery, then press the power button down and keep
    > it down for 10 seconds. Now try to use the laptop normally.
    >
    > 2) Remove the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, WiFi card, RAM, and anything
    > else like Bluetooth, etc. The idea here is one of these failed and maybe
    > causing a fault. Last thing to disconnect to try would be the LCD panel.
    > Although it is best to use an external monitor so you can see what is
    > happening on the screen.
    >
    > 3) The fan(s) could have failed and most laptops will power it down it
    > the speed isn't right. The fan and laptop could be clod full of dust
    > which can cause the laptop to shut down too.
    >
    > 4) If none of this helps, sounds like the motherboard needs to be
    > replaced. Say what kind of video chip does it supposed to have?

    Thanks for the suggestions, Bill.

    1) Did the "hard reset" with no change.
    2) Removed HDs, optical drive, both memory modules. No change.
    Connected external monitor, it never showed anything. No change.
    3) I can hear the fan spin up and can see it through the bottom
    ventilation grill. It hardly has any dust on it.
    4) I don't remember what video chip it has. Can probably get that from
    my invoice (if I can locate it) or from HP support.

    So it sounds like it might be a dead motherboard? Is that a
    user-replaceable device?

    Craig
    Williams, Jan 10, 2011
  5. Williams

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ChIWo.19326$,
    Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:33:06 -0600:
    > On 1/10/2011 11:17 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:CyGWo.10921$,
    >> Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:34:43 -0600:
    >>> 3-year old HP Pavilion DV9700
    >>> Windows Vista (current with Windows Update)
    >>> 2 GB RAM (OEM)
    >>> WD 320 GB HD (installed for about two months as boot drive)
    >>> Hitachi 160 GB GD (original, now installed as backup)
    >>> Three month old battery with no performance problems.
    >>>
    >>> Laptop has been trouble free until today. While typing an e-mail,
    >>> the PC became unresponsive. It was locked up, could not
    >>> Ctl-Alt-Del out of it. So I shut it down by holding down the power
    >>> button. When I tried to restart it, it did not boot up. The blue
    >>> lights
    >>> came on the keyboard and the fan on the bottom ran, but after 2 or 3
    >>> seconds it powered down. It did not even get to the HP "splash"
    >>> screen so I could go into the BIOS. On its own it tried to restart
    >>> after about 8 seconds. This repeated until I unplugged it and
    >>> removed the battery.
    >>> Troubleshooting so far:
    >>> 1. Unplugged the AC adapter and tried from battery alone. Same
    >>> results. 2. Removed battery and tried from AC alone. Same results.
    >>> 3. Removed WD HD and tried to boot from Hitachi HD. Same results.
    >>> 4. Removed both HD and tried to boot from Windows CD. Same results.
    >>>
    >>> What am I dealing with here? Are there any further troubleshooting
    >>> steps to try?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Craig

    >> Other things to try...
    >>
    >> 1) Remove AC, remove battery, then press the power button down and
    >> keep it down for 10 seconds. Now try to use the laptop normally.
    >>
    >> 2) Remove the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, WiFi card, RAM, and anything
    >> else like Bluetooth, etc. The idea here is one of these failed and
    >> maybe causing a fault. Last thing to disconnect to try would be the
    >> LCD panel. Although it is best to use an external monitor so you can
    >> see what is happening on the screen.
    >>
    >> 3) The fan(s) could have failed and most laptops will power it down
    >> it the speed isn't right. The fan and laptop could be clod full of
    >> dust which can cause the laptop to shut down too.
    >>
    >> 4) If none of this helps, sounds like the motherboard needs to be
    >> replaced. Say what kind of video chip does it supposed to have?

    > Thanks for the suggestions, Bill.
    >
    > 1) Did the "hard reset" with no change.
    > 2) Removed HDs, optical drive, both memory modules. No change.
    > Connected external monitor, it never showed anything. No change.
    > 3) I can hear the fan spin up and can see it through the bottom
    > ventilation grill. It hardly has any dust on it.
    > 4) I don't remember what video chip it has. Can probably get that
    > from my invoice (if I can locate it) or from HP support.
    >
    > So it sounds like it might be a dead motherboard? Is that a
    > user-replaceable device?
    >
    > Craig

    Kind of sounds that way. User replaceable? No not normally. Although if
    you are good at taking things apart and can find the service manual on
    the Internet, you will probably be okay. Cheapest prices are usually on
    eBay and often used.

    BillW50, Jan 10, 2011
  6. Williams

    Williams Guest

    On 1/10/2011 4:45 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:ChIWo.19326$,
    > Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:33:06 -0600:
    >> On 1/10/2011 11:17 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >>> In news:CyGWo.10921$,
    >>> Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:34:43 -0600:

    >>> Other things to try...
    >>>
    >>> 1) Remove AC, remove battery, then press the power button down and
    >>> keep it down for 10 seconds. Now try to use the laptop normally.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Remove the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, WiFi card, RAM, and anything
    >>> else like Bluetooth, etc. The idea here is one of these failed and
    >>> maybe causing a fault. Last thing to disconnect to try would be the
    >>> LCD panel. Although it is best to use an external monitor so you can
    >>> see what is happening on the screen.
    >>>
    >>> 3) The fan(s) could have failed and most laptops will power it down
    >>> it the speed isn't right. The fan and laptop could be clod full of
    >>> dust which can cause the laptop to shut down too.
    >>>
    >>> 4) If none of this helps, sounds like the motherboard needs to be
    >>> replaced. Say what kind of video chip does it supposed to have?

    >> Thanks for the suggestions, Bill.
    >>
    >> 1) Did the "hard reset" with no change.
    >> 2) Removed HDs, optical drive, both memory modules. No change.
    >> Connected external monitor, it never showed anything. No change.
    >> 3) I can hear the fan spin up and can see it through the bottom
    >> ventilation grill. It hardly has any dust on it.
    >> 4) I don't remember what video chip it has. Can probably get that
    >> from my invoice (if I can locate it) or from HP support.
    >>
    >> So it sounds like it might be a dead motherboard? Is that a
    >> user-replaceable device?
    >>
    >> Craig

    > Kind of sounds that way. User replaceable? No not normally. Although if
    > you are good at taking things apart and can find the service manual on
    > the Internet, you will probably be okay. Cheapest prices are usually on
    > eBay and often used.

    Thanks again. I really don't think I'm up to the task or the potential
    costs. I found an online supplier of the motherboard for about $250,
    which seems way too high. And buying a used one is definitely a no-no
    for me. We can survive with the desktop until I find a good laptop on
    sale. And it won't be an HP.

    Craig
    Williams, Jan 11, 2011
  7. Williams

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:RcNWo.30992$,
    Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:09:21 -0600:
    > Thanks again. I really don't think I'm up to the task or the
    > potential costs. I found an online supplier of the motherboard for
    > about $250, which seems way too high. And buying a used one is
    > definitely a no-no for me. We can survive with the desktop until I
    > find a good laptop on sale. And it won't be an HP.
    >
    > Craig

    Yes that is usually best. Also that is a pretty common high price for a
    known working motherboard. Although you could list this laptop on eBay
    and list it "as is" and "sold for parts". Then describe that it turns
    on, but then it shuts down. And you can use that money towards a new
    laptop.

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2011
  8. Williams

    Williams Guest

    On 1/10/2011 6:36 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:RcNWo.30992$,
    > Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:09:21 -0600:
    >> Thanks again. I really don't think I'm up to the task or the
    >> potential costs. I found an online supplier of the motherboard for
    >> about $250, which seems way too high. And buying a used one is
    >> definitely a no-no for me. We can survive with the desktop until I
    >> find a good laptop on sale. And it won't be an HP.
    >>
    >> Craig

    > Yes that is usually best. Also that is a pretty common high price for a
    > known working motherboard. Although you could list this laptop on eBay
    > and list it "as is" and "sold for parts". Then describe that it turns
    > on, but then it shuts down. And you can use that money towards a new
    > laptop.

    Bill,

    I ended up buying a new motherboard direct from HP. One of their forum
    experts pointed me to a download of an illustrated step-by-step service
    manual. It definitely looks like it is within my abilities! Since we
    have really liked the HP, it was a much cheaper option. The price for
    the new MB was $245 including shipping and tax, with return of the old MB.

    Craig
    Williams, Jan 13, 2011
  9. Williams

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:vEsXo.10882$,
    Williams typed on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:34:19 -0600:
    > On 1/10/2011 6:36 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:RcNWo.30992$,
    >> Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:09:21 -0600:
    >>> Thanks again. I really don't think I'm up to the task or the
    >>> potential costs. I found an online supplier of the motherboard for
    >>> about $250, which seems way too high. And buying a used one is
    >>> definitely a no-no for me. We can survive with the desktop until I
    >>> find a good laptop on sale. And it won't be an HP.
    >>>
    >>> Craig

    >> Yes that is usually best. Also that is a pretty common high price
    >> for a known working motherboard. Although you could list this laptop
    >> on eBay and list it "as is" and "sold for parts". Then describe that
    >> it turns on, but then it shuts down. And you can use that money
    >> towards a new laptop.
    >>

    > Bill,
    >
    > I ended up buying a new motherboard direct from HP. One of their
    > forum experts pointed me to a download of an illustrated step-by-step
    > service manual. It definitely looks like it is within my abilities!
    > Since we have really liked the HP, it was a much cheaper option. The
    > price for the new MB was $245 including shipping and tax, with return
    > of the old MB.
    > Craig

    Sounds good to me. Please keep us updated on your progress and if you
    run into any trouble at all, we are here to help. ;-)

    BillW50, Jan 13, 2011
  10. Williams

    Williams Guest

    On 1/13/2011 5:47 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:vEsXo.10882$,
    > Williams typed on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:34:19 -0600:
    >> On 1/10/2011 6:36 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    >>> In news:RcNWo.30992$,
    >>> Williams typed on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:09:21 -0600:

    >>> Yes that is usually best. Also that is a pretty common high price
    >>> for a known working motherboard. Although you could list this laptop
    >>> on eBay and list it "as is" and "sold for parts". Then describe that
    >>> it turns on, but then it shuts down. And you can use that money
    >>> towards a new laptop.
    >>>

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> I ended up buying a new motherboard direct from HP. One of their
    >> forum experts pointed me to a download of an illustrated step-by-step
    >> service manual. It definitely looks like it is within my abilities!
    >> Since we have really liked the HP, it was a much cheaper option. The
    >> price for the new MB was $245 including shipping and tax, with return
    >> of the old MB.
    >> Craig

    > Sounds good to me. Please keep us updated on your progress and if you
    > run into any trouble at all, we are here to help. ;-)

    Thanks very much Bill. I ordered the MB yesterday morning. It was
    delivered by FedEx today. Wow! Of course it only had to come about 100
    miles from Nashville.

    I will definitely post updates, and I may even put some photos on Flickr.

    Craig
    Williams, Jan 14, 2011
  11. Williams

    Williams Guest

    On 1/13/2011 6:03 PM, Williams wrote:
    > On 1/13/2011 5:47 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:vEsXo.10882$,
    >> Williams typed on Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:34:19 -0600:

    >>> Bill,
    >>>
    >>> I ended up buying a new motherboard direct from HP. One of their
    >>> forum experts pointed me to a download of an illustrated step-by-step
    >>> service manual. It definitely looks like it is within my abilities!
    >>> Since we have really liked the HP, it was a much cheaper option. The
    >>> price for the new MB was $245 including shipping and tax, with return
    >>> of the old MB.
    >>> Craig

    >> Sounds good to me. Please keep us updated on your progress and if you
    >> run into any trouble at all, we are here to help. ;-)
    >>

    > Thanks very much Bill. I ordered the MB yesterday morning. It was
    > delivered by FedEx today. Wow! Of course it only had to come about 100
    > miles from Nashville.
    >
    > I will definitely post updates, and I may even put some photos on Flickr.
    >
    > Craig

    New motherboard is installed and running. Everything seems to be fine.
    It really wasn't that hard. But there were a few tense moments, like
    when I almost stripped the slots in the screw for the WAN board.

    Craig
    Williams, Jan 15, 2011
  12. Williams

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:SIpYo.60732$,
    Williams typed on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:03:12 -0600:
    > New motherboard is installed and running. Everything seems to be
    > fine. It really wasn't that hard. But there were a few tense
    > moments, like when I almost stripped the slots in the screw for the
    > WAN board.
    > Craig

    Good show Craig! You are soon on your way of being a pro. ;-)

    BillW50, Jan 15, 2011