    What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay with
    AMD? Then which one?

    Go to an Intel or other MB and an Intel CPU? Which one?
    Ritter 197, Feb 15, 2008

  2. Ritter 197

    Augustus Guest

    "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My question regarding a possible update.
    >
    > I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
    > AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
    > ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
    > adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
    >
    > What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay
    > with AMD? Then which one?

    What are you using it for?
    Augustus, Feb 15, 2008

  3. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
    beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
    presentation.

    Ritter 197, Feb 15, 2008
  4. Ritter 197

    Augustus Guest

    "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    > No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
    > beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
    > presentation.

    Honestly, there's really not much point in going much upgrading this system
    due to the proprietary nature of the motherboard . There is a version
    5.51.28.50 BIOS with a Dec 2007 release date for the A8M2N-LA motherboard.
    Whether or not this update provides support for the more newer X2, FX and
    Opteron dual core lines I don't know. Release notes were hard to find and I
    can't be bothered to dig a whole lot deeper. It's your box, after all. If
    it could, then get an Opteron 185 which is a 2.6Ghz 2Mb L2 cache unit. It
    (other than the FX60 which is basically identical other than being fully
    unlocked rather than partially like the Opteron and four time the cost) is
    the ultimate and final sokcet 939 upgrade. You'll really see a difference
    with it.....if the BIOS can be upgraded to support it. Don't just buy one
    off eBay and stick it in, without checking. About $210.
    Augustus, Feb 16, 2008