HP Pavillion a1610, 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz upgrade. How and what?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Ritter 197, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    My question regarding a possible update.

    I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology, AMD
    Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive, ASUSTek
    NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display adapter,
    Windows XP media edition installed.

    What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay with
    AMD? Then which one?

    Go to an Intel or other MB and an Intel CPU? Which one?

    1. Advertising

  2. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    > My question regarding a possible update.
    >
    > I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
    > AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
    > ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
    > adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
    >
    > What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay
    > with AMD? Then which one?

    What are you using it for?

    1. Advertising

  3. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
    beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
    presentation.

    "Augustus" <> wrote in message

    > "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    >> My question regarding a possible update.
    >>
    >> I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
    >> AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
    >> ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
    >> adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
    >>
    >> What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay
    >> with AMD? Then which one?

    > What are you using it for?

  4. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    > No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
    > beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
    > presentation.

    Honestly, there's really not much point in going much upgrading this system
    due to the proprietary nature of the motherboard . There is a version
    5.51.28.50 BIOS with a Dec 2007 release date for the A8M2N-LA motherboard.
    Whether or not this update provides support for the more newer X2, FX and
    Opteron dual core lines I don't know. Release notes were hard to find and I
    can't be bothered to dig a whole lot deeper. It's your box, after all. If
    it could, then get an Opteron 185 which is a 2.6Ghz 2Mb L2 cache unit. It
    (other than the FX60 which is basically identical other than being fully
    unlocked rather than partially like the Opteron and four time the cost) is
    the ultimate and final sokcet 939 upgrade. You'll really see a difference
    with it.....if the BIOS can be upgraded to support it. Don't just buy one
    off eBay and stick it in, without checking. About $210.

  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Augustus wrote:
    > "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    >> No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
    >> beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
    >> presentation.

    > Honestly, there's really not much point in going much upgrading this system
    > due to the proprietary nature of the motherboard . There is a version
    > 5.51.28.50 BIOS with a Dec 2007 release date for the A8M2N-LA motherboard.
    > Whether or not this update provides support for the more newer X2, FX and
    > Opteron dual core lines I don't know. Release notes were hard to find and I
    > can't be bothered to dig a whole lot deeper. It's your box, after all. If
    > it could, then get an Opteron 185 which is a 2.6Ghz 2Mb L2 cache unit. It
    > (other than the FX60 which is basically identical other than being fully
    > unlocked rather than partially like the Opteron and four time the cost) is
    > the ultimate and final sokcet 939 upgrade. You'll really see a difference
    > with it.....if the BIOS can be upgraded to support it. Don't just buy one
    > off eBay and stick it in, without checking. About $210.

    If this is the motherboard, the socket is AM2.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...531&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#

    This is the processor support list for a similar Asus board (AM2, 6150 chipset).
    Notice that at least with Asus own boards, the BIOS release needed varies
    with processor type. Whether the HP BIOS is as rev-happy as this, I can't
    say.

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...?type=1&name=M2NPV-VM&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    A 6400+ runs at 125W TDP, so whether that would be feasible would depend
    on what kind of cooling the HP box has, and whether the Vcore regulator
    and the HP power supply can provide juice to run it. Some pre-built
    computers have pretty anemic cooling systems.

    One of the benefits of building your own computer, is you get a
    list, like that Asus one. If HP provided an upgrade list for
    the processor socket, that would make it a better platform
    for home upgrades.

    You could attempt to upgrade it, but if the computer doesn't
    POST with the new processor, you're not going to be too happy.

    Paul

  6. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Augustus wrote:
    >> If this is the motherboard, the socket is AM2.
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...531&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#

    > Hmm, he says his A1610 is an A64 X2 4200+......is there an AM2 socket
    > version of this?

    There are some 4200+ in the Asus list.

    Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (CU),512Kx2,rev.F2,65W,SocketAM2 ALL 0303
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (CU),512Kx2,rev.F2,89W,SocketAM2 ALL 0303
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (DD),512Kx2,rev.G1,65W,SocketAM2 ALL 1103
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (DO),512Kx2,rev.G2,65W,SocketAM2 ALL 1201

    The AMD list shows five.

    http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...X2 Dual-Core&f2=4200+&f3=2200&f4=512&f9=2000&

    Paul

  8. Ritter 197