    machines so close together situated around a corner with the printer
    in between, it's virtually impossible for two people to use the two
    computers at the same time; it shouldn't be an issue.
    SlickRCBD, Sep 11, 2009

  2. SlickRCBD

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: HPDeskJet 812C printer, can I make 2 direct connections withparallel & USB?

    SlickRCBD wrote:
    > Since nobody has come up with a solution to my Vista printing woes,
    > I'm wondering about an alternate solution. The printer supports both a
    > parallel connection and a USB connection. Is it possible to use both
    > at the same time? Hook the old Win98SE machine up with the parallel
    > cable it's always used, and hook up the Vista computer to the USB
    > port? When I print from the Virtual WinXP machine I can continue to
    > use the Win98SE share, but when I print from Vista I will use the
    > built-in drivers and print via a direct USB connection instead of a
    > network share.
    >
    > Will this solution work, or will I get problems besides the obvious
    > conflict if I try to print from both machines simultaneously. I have
    > never done that, and given it's a home environment, with the two
    > machines so close together situated around a corner with the printer
    > in between, it's virtually impossible for two people to use the two
    > computers at the same time; it shouldn't be an issue.

    The direct answer to your question is: "Sort of". A device with both
    parallel and USB ports can usually use only one port at a time. You
    would be forced to power down the printer and change the cable connected
    each time you wanted to print from a different computer.

    Is there some reason why you can't connect the 812C to the Vista
    computer and share it from there with the Windows 98SE computer?

    I am convinced that the best way to share a printer is through a
    network, assuming you have one already for both computers to access the
    internet. In that case, you need a print server, a small box connected
    to a router or hub via Ethernet, and connected to the printer itself.
    Print servers are both wired and wireless, with wired being least
    expensive. With your setup, a wired (i.e. Ethenet) print server would
    do the job... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Sep 12, 2009

  3. SlickRCBD

    SlickRCBD Guest

    On Sep 11, 9:03 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > SlickRCBD wrote:
    > > Since nobody has come up with a solution to my Vista printing woes,
    > > I'm wondering about an alternate solution. The printer supports both a
    > > parallel connection and a USB connection. Is it possible to use both
    > > at the same time? Hook the old Win98SE machine up with the parallel
    > > cable it's always used, and hook up the Vista comuter to the USB
    > > port? When I print from the Virtual WinXP machine I can continue to
    > > use the Win98SE share, but when I print from Vista I will use the
    > > built-in drivers and print via a direct USB connection instead of a
    > > network share.

    > > Will this solution work, or will I get problems besides the obvious
    > > conflict if I try to print from both machines simultaneously. I have
    > > never done that, and given it's a home environment, with the two
    > > machines so close together situated around a corner with the printer
    > > in between, it's virtually impossible for two people to use the two
    > > computers at the same time; it shouldn't be an issue.

    > The direct answer to your question is: "Sort of". A device with both
    > parallel and USB ports can usually use only one port at a time. You
    > would be forced to power down the printer and change the cable connected
    > each time you wanted to print from a different computer.
    >
    > Is there some reason why you can't connect the 812C to the Vista
    > computer and share it from there with the Windows 98SE computer?
    >
    > I am convinced that the best way to share a printer is through a
    > network, assuming you have one already for both computers to access the
    > internet. In that case, you need a print server, a small box connected
    > to a router or hub via Ethernet, and connected to the printer itself.
    > Print servers are both wired and wireless, with wired being least
    > expensive. With your setup, a wired (i.e. Ethenet) print server would
    > do the job... Ben Myers

    I completely forgot about this post as I made several and forgot to
    bookmark this newsgroup I had cross-posted and nobody responded on the
    other group. Unlike my old newsreader, Google Groups doesn't seem to
    track a cross-posted thread very well. Here's the issue I'm having.
    The printer has been connected to the parallel port on the Win98SE
    computer since I got it. When I later acquired a Windows XP computer,
    I shared it from the Win98SE machine with no problems. I later got a
    job at a company and needed to be able to connect to the domain with
    XP, so the company subsidized me buying XP pro. That upgrade
    surprisingly had no problems at all. The XP computer has since
    suffered hardware failure. I replaced it with a brand new Windows
    Vista 64-bit Home Premium computer. Now I have problems. The printer
    share works the first time I install the printer, but after shutting
    everything off for the night, the Vista computer will no longer
    recognize the DeskJet as being online and available. No matter what I
    do it insists the printer is "offline" and holds the documents I send
    to it in queue. Adding another printer using the same port results in
    the Vista computer once again being able to print TO THE NEW PRINTER
    ONLY, but only until I shut everything down for the night.

    The procedure i use in both XP and Vista is to "add a local printer"
    and print to the port created when I try and fail to "connect" to the
    DeskJet. This works in XP, doesn't work in Vista.

    The strange thing is that I installed Virtual PC 2007 on the
    computer, and installed Windows XP Pro under Virtual PC. That virtual
    machine has no problems whatsoever with the 98SE share even though
    it's on the same hardware, and VIsta is running as the host OS.

    Hence why I thought maybe I could connect the USB cable to the new
    Vista computer and leave the parallel port as is. The printer is
    sitting on an old printer stand between the two computers.

    I'm not sure if VIsta would be able to share with win98SE as win98SE
    does NOT have "HP DeskJet812C" as a built-in option in the list. I
    have to install the driver from the CD, and it doesn't have the .inf
    file. I have to run an exe to install it.
    SlickRCBD, Sep 28, 2009
  4. SlickRCBD

    SlickRCBD wrote:
> [...]

    > and print to the port created when I try and fail to "connect" to the
    > DeskJet. This works in XP, doesn't work in Vista.
    >
    > The strange thing is that I installed Virtual PC 2007 on the
    > computer, and installed Windows XP Pro under Virtual PC. That virtual
    > machine has no problems whatsoever with the 98SE share even though
    > it's on the same hardware, and VIsta is running as the host OS.
    >
    > Hence why I thought maybe I could connect the USB cable to the new
    > Vista computer and leave the parallel port as is. The printer is
    > sitting on an old printer stand between the two computers.
    >
    > I'm not sure if VIsta would be able to share with win98SE as win98SE
    > does NOT have "HP DeskJet812C" as a built-in option in the list. I
    > have to install the driver from the CD, and it doesn't have the .inf
    > file. I have to run an exe to install it.

    Well, it sounds like your best option is to connect the 812C to the
    Vista computer, then share it with the Win 98 one.

    Your second best and more costly option would be to get a network
    printer device (a small device with an Ethernet port and either a USB
    port or parallel port), attach the printer to it, and connect the
    printer device to a port on the router you must have there. Install the
    net printing device, and configure it with an IP address in the range of
    your router, e.g. 192.168.1.50. Then install the printer drivers on
    both computers and select a TCP/IP port for the printer (again,
    192.168.1.50). Print a test page from both computers to make sure it
    works. You will end up with a printer that can run all by itself,
    independent of either computer. You can then print without having the
    other computer powered up... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Sep 28, 2009
  5. SlickRCBD

    SlickRCBD Guest

    On Sep 28, 5:50 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > file. I have to run an exe to install it.

    > Well, it sounds like your best option is to connect the 812C to the
    > Vista computer, then share it with the Win 98 one.
    >
    > Your second best and more costly option would be to get a network
    > printer device (a small device with an Ethernet port and either a USB
    > port or parallel port), attach the printer to it, and connect the
    > printer device to a port on the router you must have there.  Install the
    > net printing device, and configure it with an IP address in the range of
    > your router, e.g. 192.168.1.50.  Then install the printer drivers on
    > both computers and select a TCP/IP port for the printer (again,
    > 192.168.1.50).  Print a test page from both computers to make sure it
    > works.  You will end up with a printer that can run all by itself,
    > independent of either computer.  You can then print without having the

    I'm hesitant to do that because the Win98SE computer locks up whenever
    I try to access a Vista FILE share. I tried using VirtualPC on the
    Vista computer with both Win95 and a copy of the Win98SE computer's
    hard drive (complete with OEM Win98SE) and the virtual computers also
    locked up. I should note that the XP VPC machine takes at least a
    minute the first time I try to get a directory listing from a Vista
    share, which may be related. I had a long e-mail session with
    Microsoft when I first got the machine (when I was in the free support
    period) and they were unable to solve the problem. with the shares.
    I'm embarassed to say that I hadn't done any printing on the new
    computer in the native OS during that 3 month period, and the XP Pro
    virtual machine had NO network problems at all. It's shares worked
    fine for both the Win98SE and the Vista computer, and it had no
    problems printing to the Win98SE share.
    The Vista computer has no problems with the win98SE file shares.
    SlickRCBD, Sep 30, 2009
  6. SlickRCBD

    SlickRCBD wrote:
> [...]

    > Vista computer with both Win95 and a copy of the Win98SE computer's
    > hard drive (complete with OEM Win98SE) and the virtual computers also
    > locked up. I should note that the XP VPC machine takes at least a
    > minute the first time I try to get a directory listing from a Vista
    > share, which may be related. I had a long e-mail session with
    > Microsoft when I first got the machine (when I was in the free support
    > period) and they were unable to solve the problem. with the shares.
    > I'm embarassed to say that I hadn't done any printing on the new
    > computer in the native OS during that 3 month period, and the XP Pro
    > virtual machine had NO network problems at all. It's shares worked
    > fine for both the Win98SE and the Vista computer, and it had no
    > problems printing to the Win98SE share.
    > The Vista computer has no problems with the win98SE file shares.

    Then spend a couple of bucks and take the second best option. In my own
    personal experience with my own printers and supporting the printers of
    others, networked printers are the most trouble-free... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Sep 30, 2009