    soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
    and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?

    Thnx
    Andrew, Feb 27, 2004

  2. In all honesty, you are not likely going to see much or a difference in real
    world performance. Most applications simply don't take advantage of it and
    some things actually can slow down due to the extra overhead.

    Patrick L Parks, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Andrew

    Leythos Guest

    In article <wcP%b.17$>, "Andrew"
    <the_weirdo@@@> says...
    > Hey
    >
    > I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
    > soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
    > and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?

    In most cases, the limited amount of HT support found in Windows 2000
    and XP Professional won't make much of a difference (if any that you can
    actually see).

    If you were running Windows 2003 server you would notice it, but 2003
    server is not for desktop machines.

    I ran a couple tests on a Quad CPU Xeon database server - had several
    100gb databases with 70+ users connected via client server apps, and
    found no difference with HT on or off under Windows 2000 Advanced
    Server.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Andrew

    Dr. Indera Guest

    hi patrick,

    i didn't realize that the hyperthreading could be turned off.
    if you turn it off, will the machine run faster?
    does this also apply to laptops?
    i'm thinking about ordering the 675 laptop, which has hyperthreading.

    thank you
    indera

    Dr. Indera, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Hyperthreading is usually enabled or disable in the systems BIOS setup
    menus.

    In normal everyday use, you probably won't see much of a difference in
    performance either way, on or off.

    Timothy Drouillard, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Andrew

    Dr. Indera Guest

    hi timothy,

    thank you for letting me know.
    that is just one less thing i need to worry about.

    indera

    Dr. Indera, Feb 29, 2004
  7. My company has found very good performance gains with SQL 2000 and Windows
    Server 2003 using HT technology.

    Instead of buying quad processor boxes and paying MS (4 x $10,000) for
    licensing SQL, we instead by dual processor boxes and only pay MS (2 x
    $10,000), but they peform as if they are quad processor systems. Maybe not
    exactly 2 to 1 performance, but they are performing great. Also, we are
    running a cluster with SQL instances on both cluster nodes and with only
    buying 2 licenses for each node, we get a ton of performance.

    Patrick L Parks, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Andrew

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My company has found very good performance gains with SQL 2000 and Windows
    > Server 2003 using HT technology.

    My guess is that you are not really seeing the performance gains you
    think you are. 2003 has full support for HT and I've seen marked
    increases in performance with a server using HT, but 2000 has limited
    support for it, esp when it comes to MS SQL 2000.

    > Instead of buying quad processor boxes and paying MS (4 x $10,000) for
    > licensing SQL, we instead by dual processor boxes and only pay MS (2 x
    > $10,000),

    Which version of MS SQL 2000 are you using, the standard SQL CPU license
    is only $4,995 US.

    > but they peform as if they are quad processor systems. Maybe not
    > exactly 2 to 1 performance, but they are performing great. Also, we are
    > running a cluster with SQL instances on both cluster nodes and with only
    > buying 2 licenses for each node, we get a ton of performance.

    Since you're running a cluster, are you running it on 2000 or 2003? As I
    said before, I've tested HT for SQL 2000 on 2000 Server with HT on/off
    and was not able to get more than a 1% difference in performance.

    SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 with HT enabled has shown up to 20% increase in
    performance, but not sustained.

    If you could, you should disable HT on the 2000 boxes and measure your
    performance, you might find, as I did, that you don't really benefit
    from HT.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 29, 2004