    2 Gig Memory
    2 SATA WD5000AAKS with the cache located on the second hard drive.

    Marc
    Marc, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Marc

    Paul Guest

    Re: I have another problem. When I rum Everest Home (thanks Paul)only one of the cores shows being used.

    Marc wrote:
    > Someone mention over on 24.hoursupport.helpdesk that I should have 2 cores
    > showing in task manager and I don't. My son has a Intel dual core with a
    > slower processor and it is much faster than my desk top. Is there something
    > need to turn on?
    >
    > Here's what I have:
    >
    > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    > K9N SLI Platinum
    > 2 Gig Memory
    > 2 SATA WD5000AAKS with the cache located on the second hard drive.
    >
    > Marc

    Go to Device Manager. Check the "Computer" entry. The
    driver there is called a HAL or hardware abstraction layer.

    Mine reads "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", and I see two charts
    for my processor. If you had something like "Standard PC"
    as the HAL, then only expect to see one chart, and reduced
    power management functions. Tell us what version is listed
    there, on your current install.

    Some of the possible values are shown here. The OS can
    "promote" to the better choice, only in limited circumstances.
    For example, I've automatically been changed from
    "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". But
    if you're trapped in "Standard PC", that one is a lot harder
    to fix (as in reinstall the OS perhaps, not really sure).

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/en-us

    Once the HAL issue is sorted, there are other tweaks
    for dual core users. This thread hints at some of this.
    Always read the latest info for this, as to which
    things still need to be installed. None of this is
    for fixing the "one chart" problem.

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 25, 2007

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Paul it's there but only one instance. ACPI Multiproccessor PC. What do you
    mean by charts? Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I tried the patch and still only one core in Everest shows being used. I
    followed that link about increasing the performance and read that and it had
    a AMD patch and this seems to have made a big difference.

    Thanks Paul

    Marc, Nov 26, 2007
  5. Marc

    Marc wrote:
    > I tried the patch and still only one core in Everest shows being used. I
    > followed that link about increasing the performance and read that and it had
    > a AMD patch and this seems to have made a big difference.
    >
    > Thanks Paul

    Two charts, upper right, should be present if you have a dual core.

    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/img/fig5.jpg

    That is the Task Manager display.

    *******
    This is what a quad processor looks like. (French OS). 4 charts.

    http://renderfred.free.fr/4TaskManager.gif

    And for giggles, this is what a computer with 32 virtual cores
    looks like, in the Task Manager. This would be running
    some kind of server OS. (8 dual core Xeons, each with Hyperthreading.)

    http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/09/Lotsa processors-thumb.jpg

    This is (only) 16 virtual cores. 26GB of RAM.

    http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/08/6800.jpg

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 26, 2007
  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks Paul!!! After I did the AMD patch I have the 2 graphs.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 26, 2007