I need some advice on reformatting my hard drive

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jamie Parker, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Jamie Parker

    Jamie Parker Guest

    Due to a botched video driver update, I may need to completely reformat my
    drive and start over from scratch. But I've never done this procedure
    before.

    1) Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to reformat my hard drive?
    Do I need to make a bootable floopy disk, or can I boot straight from the
    WIN XP CD?

    2) This is a Dell 4550 system that I bought in February of this year. It
    came with 3 months of McAfee Security Center with VirusScan Online. After
    the 3 months, I renewed this service for a full year. After I format my
    hard drive, will McAfee VirusScan Online go out to the net and see that I
    still have nearly a year's worth of service left? Or do I need to do
    something else prior to formatting my drive to ensure that I'll still have
    that year's worth of service after the reformatting is done?

    My system:

    Win XP Home
    Pentium IV 2.66 Ghz
    1 GB DDR SD RAM
    120 GB HD
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro vid card
    16 X DVD Drive
    40X/10X/40X CD-RW Drive
    Soundblaster Live

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This seems like a huge step, and I
    need a little hand-holding. :)

    Jamie Parker, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Jamie Parker

    Eddie Grant Guest

    "Jamie Parker" <> wrote in message
    > Due to a botched video driver update, I may need to completely reformat my
    > drive and start over from scratch. But I've never done this procedure
    > before.
    >
    > 1) Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to reformat my hard drive?
    > Do I need to make a bootable floopy disk, or can I boot straight from the
    > WIN XP CD?
    >
    > 2) This is a Dell 4550 system that I bought in February of this year. It
    > came with 3 months of McAfee Security Center with VirusScan Online. After
    > the 3 months, I renewed this service for a full year. After I format my
    > hard drive, will McAfee VirusScan Online go out to the net and see that I
    > still have nearly a year's worth of service left? Or do I need to do
    > something else prior to formatting my drive to ensure that I'll still have
    > that year's worth of service after the reformatting is done?
    >
    > My system:
    >
    > Win XP Home
    > Pentium IV 2.66 Ghz
    > 1 GB DDR SD RAM
    > 120 GB HD
    > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro vid card
    > 16 X DVD Drive
    > 40X/10X/40X CD-RW Drive
    > Soundblaster Live
    >
    > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This seems like a huge step, and I
    > need a little hand-holding. :)

    There should be a bit near the back of your system manual which tells you
    exactly what to do.
    Good luck, I've done it 'millions' of times and its a fairly easy procedure.
    Nothing that you can really screw up as long as you follow the instructions.
    Im not sure about the AV tho, but you should be able 2 retrieve the account
    somehow

    Eddie Grant, Jun 25, 2003