    more responsive.

    Just thought i would share...

    NuTs
    nut cracker, Feb 2, 2004

  2. nut cracker

    Dave Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:

    > I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
    > rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
    > ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
    >
    > I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
    >
    > It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
    > more responsive.
    >
    > Just thought i would share...
    >
    > NuTs

    I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
    too.
    Dave, Feb 2, 2004

  3. nut cracker

    Kai Robinson Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
    >
    > > I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off

    gaming
    > > rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have

    1G
    > > ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
    > >
    > > I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
    > >
    > > It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it

    would be
    > > more responsive.
    > >
    > > Just thought i would share...
    > >
    > > NuTs

    > I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
    > too.

    I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters and
    storyline - and a few interesting twists.
    Kai Robinson, Feb 2, 2004
  4. nut cracker

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:43:34 +0100, "Kai Robinson"
    <> wrote:

    >I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters and
    >storyline - and a few interesting twists.

    I am sure Legend will be pleased to hear that someone liked it. They
    can put that on their headstone.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
    Andrew, Feb 2, 2004
  5. nut cracker

    nut cracker Guest

    Its like I said... it looked beautiful, and the game play (story line,
    etc..) was nice. I liked playing it, but i thought it would be more...
    something.

    Its just for a 64 bit proc, 1GB of Ram, and the most kick-ass nVidia GPU
    available.... I was expecting more. Its not that I am commenting on the game
    titles, its my disappointment in my experience with the collection of
    hardware. Of course, they may have been running XP32bit and not XP64, which
    might have made a difference. I dont know. I guess I expected something...
    different. I guess I thought the diff would fell like going from a PIII 750
    to an Athlon XP 2100 + (which was HUGE....).... oh well..

    I did get a cool black keyboard for like $3.00 though. And some 80MM case
    fans with LOOOONNNGGGG 3pin power cables for $6 each. The day wasnt a a
    complete loss.

    Cheers,

    NuTs

    nut cracker, Feb 2, 2004
  6. nut cracker

    John Lewis Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
    >
    >> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
    >> rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
    >> ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
    >>
    >> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
    >>
    >> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
    >> more responsive.
    >>
    >> Just thought i would share...
    >>
    >> NuTs

    >I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
    >too.

    Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
    amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
    At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
    got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.
    COD MP reputedly will get PunkBuster someday.

    John Lewis
    John Lewis, Feb 2, 2004
  7. nut cracker

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:09:55 GMT, (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >Unreal2 never got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.

    Erm, what is this then?

    http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1071024112/
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
    Andrew, Feb 2, 2004
  8. nut cracker

    James Riske Guest

    wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
    >>> rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
    >>> ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
    >>>
    >>> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
    >>>
    >>> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
    >>> more responsive.
    >>>
    >>> Just thought i would share...
    >>>
    >>> NuTs

    >>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
    >>too.
    >>

    >Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
    >amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
    >At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
    >got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.
    >COD MP reputedly will get PunkBuster someday.
    >
    >John Lewis

    http://www.unreal2.com/download_xmp.html

    It has been out for a while.

    --
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    James Riske, Feb 2, 2004
  9. nut cracker

    Walter Mitty Guest

    (John Lewis) brightened my day with his incisive
    wit when in news: he conjectured that:

    > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off
    >>> gaming rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It
    >>> claimed to have 1G ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950
    >>> Ultra.
    >>>
    >>> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
    >>>
    >>> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it
    >>> would be more responsive.
    >>>
    >>> Just thought i would share...
    >>>
    >>> NuTs

    >>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
    >>too.
    >>

    > Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
    > amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
    > At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
    > got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.

    Actually there were no assertions before its release.

    However they certainly DID release multiplayer : and a very good
    multiplayer too.
    Walter Mitty, Feb 3, 2004
  10. nut cracker

    John Lewis Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:40:07 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <> wrote:

    > (John Lewis) brightened my day with his incisive
    >wit when in news: he conjectured that:

    >>>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
    >>>too.
    >>>

    >> Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
    >> amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
    >> At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
    >> got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.

    >Actually there were no assertions before its release.
    >
    >However they certainly DID release multiplayer : and a very good
    >multiplayer too.

    oops... many apologies... brain f**t.......too much coffee too late
    at night....

    Thanks to all for setting me straight.

    John Lewis
    John Lewis, Feb 4, 2004
  11. nut cracker

    Sith Lord Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600 in
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "nut cracker"
    <> wrote:

    >I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
    >rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
    >ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
    >
    >I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
    >
    >It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
    >more responsive.
    >
    >Just thought i would share...

    Those run fine on my rig (XP2000+/512MB/FX5600) so it wouldn't make
    much of a difference on faster h/w apart from turning up res and AA,
    etc.
    Sith Lord, Feb 4, 2004