I pulled the "move your Applications folder to another drive" stunt - don't.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AtomicBob, May 19, 2006.

  1. AtomicBob

    AtomicBob Guest

    10.2.8 Jaguar, was trying to gain more space on the boot volume.

    I managed to move the folder back to the boot drive and every app works
    as before, EXCEPT for NetInfo Manager and Disk Utility. When I try to
    start either of them, a small dialog comes up that says:

    "The operation could not be completed.
    An unexpected error occurred (error code 1000)."

    Booted from the 10.2 install disk, rand disk util, repaired permissions
    (that took about two hours) and did an incident-free disk repair.

    Still no go. I'm looking at an "archive and reinstall," aren't I?

    I read that there's a way to do what I want by setting up a symbolic
    link, but I have no idea how to do that.

    Thanks for any advice!
    AtomicBob, May 19, 2006

  2. AtomicBob

    Kiraly Guest

    Try repairing permissions again, this time while booted in the volume
    you are trying to repair rather than from a CD. Even if your Disk
    Utility won't launch, it can still be done from the command line. Log
    in as an administrator, launch Terminal, and enter:

    sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

    Enter your password when prompted.
    Kiraly, May 19, 2006

  3. AtomicBob

    aaJoe Guest

    > Try repairing permissions again, this time while booted in the volume
    > you are trying to repair rather than from a CD. Even if your Disk
    > Utility won't launch, it can still be done from the command line. Log
    > in as an administrator, launch Terminal, and enter:
    >
    > sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
    > Enter your password when prompted.

    Tried it but it didn't go anywhere. This is what it said:

    Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point
    |Disk Identifier|Device Node]
    Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.
    Ownership of the affected disk is required.
    Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

    So I tried sudo diskutil verifyPermissions and it said something
    similar. ??? There must be something wrong here. Also does it matter
    if permissions is capitalized? In the Apple message it is.
    aaJoe, May 19, 2006
  4. AtomicBob

    Király Guest

    In comp.sys.mac.system aaJoe <> wrote:
    > Tried it but it didn't go anywhere. This is what it said:
    >
    > Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point
    > |Disk Identifier|Device Node]
    > Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.
    > Ownership of the affected disk is required.
    > Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

    Hmmm. That's strange.

    Try these commands from Terminal:

    sudo chown root /
    sudo chgrp admin /
    sudo chown -R root /Applications
    sudo chgrp -R admin /Applications
    sudo chmod -R 775 /Applications

    See if Disk Utility will launch now.

    > So I tried sudo diskutil verifyPermissions and it said something
    > similar. ??? There must be something wrong here.

    It's very strange. It sounds like the permissions to Disk Utility and
    perhaps diskutil itself might be wrong, preventing you from using
    those apps.

    Have a look at this, it might help:

    > Also does it matter if permissions is capitalized? In the Apple
    > message it is.

    It shouldn't. Leaving it lower case works on my Mac (albeit running Tiger).

    --
    K.

    Te tetted e tettetett tettet? Te tettetett tettek tettese, te!
    Király, May 19, 2006
  5. AtomicBob

    Király Guest

    In comp.sys.mac.system aaJoe <> wrote:
    > Tried it but it didn't go anywhere. This is what it said:
    >
    > Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point
    > |Disk Identifier|Device Node]
    > Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.
    > Ownership of the affected disk is required.
    > Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

    Are you sure you remembered to type the forward slash at the end of the
    line? I get the identical message when I enter the line without the
    forward slash at the end.

    Király, May 19, 2006