    assuming same dual port video card add on (MSI X8400GS-TD512EH)
    at first glance it seems i3 would be faster for accounting side
    not sure about multi-tasking, document/application switching, searching

    gg, Jul 15, 2010

  2. gg

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jul 15, 2010

  3. gg

    Robert Myers Guest

    gg wrote:
    > pardon my ignore, which system would be faster for widows 7 as workstation
    > running ms office 2007 suite, accounting (simply, quickbook):
    > i3 540 (3.06GHz) with 4 GB ddr3, Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H
    > vs core 2 Q8300(2.5Ghz) with 4 GB 800Mhz ddr2, asus p4G41
    >
    > assuming same dual port video card add on (MSI X8400GS-TD512EH)
    > at first glance it seems i3 would be faster for accounting side
    > not sure about multi-tasking, document/application switching, searching

    You'd have to benchmark your actual workloads to tell the difference.
    In practice, I don't think you'd notice the difference for most common
    workloads (other than, conceivably, media processing, where the extra
    physical cores might win).

    Core i3 has hyperthreading, which means it can carry four simultaneous
    contexts, just like the Q8300, so I don't think task-switching is an
    issue. The only place where the extra physical cores will matter is if
    you have a parallelized workload that will put the extra execution
    resources of the extra physical cores to work.

    Barring further information, I'd say the i3 is the better bet for you,
    if only because of better memory technology.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Jul 16, 2010
  4. gg

    gg Guest

    thx all. your input is much appreciated.

    gg, Jul 17, 2010