    Does anybody know whether the motherboard in an IBM Aptiva 2178-840 is ATX
    form factor or LPX form factor?

    Kjeld Olesen
    Kjeld Olesen, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Kjeld Olesen

    Tom Goodman Guest

    Kjeld Olesen wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anybody know whether the motherboard in an IBM Aptiva 2178-840 is ATX
    > form factor or LPX form factor?
    >
    > Kjeld Olesen

    IBM knows, and if you go to their support site and search by the model
    you should be able to download the tech docs including manuals with mb
    spec and drawings.
    I own and run XP Pro and SuSe Linux 9.2 pro on an old Aptiva 2176/392.
    It has an LPX board with riser.
    Just for interest, I've upgradedit to AMD K6 III 450MHZ running at
    400MHZ with a powerleap adaptor. I've upped it to 128MB ram and an LG
    DVD writer. Nero runs ok and it manages to write DVD's successfully.

    Booting into SuSe via GRUB (on a second 8GB drive) everything runs quite
    well except that the ATI Rsge pro chip is not supported, so no 3d
    acceleration.

    I did an ftp install of SuSE from ftp.heanet.ie and it went as smoothly
    as silk.
    My next plan is to kick out the Suse drive and stick in a blank 40GB rom
    anothe rmachine, having upgraded XP pro SP1 with the seagate patch for
    large drives, then use the Seagate diskwizard to transfer XP and all
    files to to 40 GB. Stick in the 40 as drive 1, boot up and put in
    another 40GB to replace the measly 8GB Suse, then reinstall SuSe by FTP.

    I'll then have twin 40GB drives dual booting into XP Pro and SuSe 9.2 pro.

    There is plenty of life in the old machine yet. SuSE even plays video
    files using Kaffeine in SuSE with the advantage that SuSe 9.2 now
    includes support for the old Aureal vortex soundcard which I found in a
    skip. I kicked out the mwave adaptor because Linux has no support for
    it, though XP Pro recognises it just fine.

    Best wishes

    Tom.
    Tom Goodman, Feb 19, 2005