IBM T30 Will not bootup

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by dwn, Feb 12, 2011.

  1. dwn

    dwn Guest

    T30 Will not bootup

    I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
    and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.

    Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.

    Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    2Gb ram

    After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
    booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a few
    times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    "key’s error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB (keyboard)
    is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
    is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram. I
    have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
    junked it?

    dwn, Feb 12, 2011

  2. Re: T30 Will not bootup

    "dwn" <> wrote in message

    > I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
    > and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
    >
    > Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    > O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    > 2Gb ram
    >
    > After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
    > booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
    > few
    > times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    > "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    > wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
    > (keyboard)
    > is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
    > is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    > don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.
    > have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
    > junked it?

    No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.

    Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea where
    it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
    replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a keyboard,
    I'm sure. Good luck!

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Feb 12, 2011

  3. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Re: T30 Will not bootup

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote:

    >> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    >> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    >> 2Gb ram
    >>
    >> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
    >> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
    >> few
    >> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    >> "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    >> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
    >> (keyboard)
    >> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
    >> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    >> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.
    >> have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
    >> junked it?

    >No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.

    BTW, where is everybody? I tried posting in
    Thinkpad Forum, but dunno how to post correctly.

    >Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea where
    >it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
    >replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a keyboard,
    >I'm sure. Good luck!

    Ok, I will get a new replacement, and will return in a day or two.
    One more question: From Thinkpad Forum, a bad RAM may also cause
    the same symptom as I described above, is it true?

    Further both banks RAM are new, I may try to test reinstall the old RAM, if I
    can find them.

    Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

    dwn, Feb 13, 2011
  4. Re: T30 Will not bootup

    "dwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    >>> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    >>> 2Gb ram
    >>>
    >>> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
    >>> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
    >>> few
    >>> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    >>> "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    >>> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
    >>> (keyboard)
    >>> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the
    >>> Keyboard
    >>> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    >>> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb
    >>> ram.
    >>> have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
    >>> junked it?

    >>No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.

    > BTW, where is everybody? I tried posting in
    > Thinkpad Forum, but dunno how to post correctly.

    Neither do I, but I don't typically hit the web forums for help. Some of
    the interfaces are worse than unreadable for these eyes.

    >>Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea
    >>where
    >>it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
    >>replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a keyboard,
    >>I'm sure. Good luck!

    > Ok, I will get a new replacement, and will return in a day or two.
    > One more question: From Thinkpad Forum, a bad RAM may also cause
    > the same symptom as I described above, is it true?

    I wouldn't discount it, but since you already tried swapping the sticks, it
    doesn't seem likely. Now, if you did something stupid, like plugging 240V
    AC into the USB port, that could shoot the RAM, but it would also take out
    the rest of the system, probably.

    > Further both banks RAM are new, I may try to test reinstall the old RAM,
    > if I
    > can find them.

    That CMOS battery will go bad, eventually, anyway, so I'd try that first.

    > Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

    YW.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Feb 13, 2011
  5. Re: T30 Will not bootup

    "T.C." <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "dwn" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
    >> > and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
    >> >
    >> > Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    >> > O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    >> > 2Gb ram
    >> >
    >> > After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and
    >> > no
    >> > booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for
    >> > few
    >> > times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    >> > "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    >> > wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
    >> > (keyboard)
    >> > is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the
    >> > Keyboard
    >> > is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    >> > don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb
    >> > ram.
    >> > have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before
    >> > junked it?

    >> No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.
    >>
    >> Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea
    >> where
    >> it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
    >> replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a
    >> keyboard,
    >> I'm sure. Good luck!

    > Just a pointer:
    >
    > Hardware Maintenance Manuals:
    >
    > T30 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-42308.html
    > R51 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-53169.html

    Thanks!

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Feb 14, 2011
  6. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Re: T30 Will not bootup

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:18:57 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote:

    Thanks TC and to Tom, I have a flu and have not replace the CMOS battery nor did
    I try one more time switching the RAM.

    Please do come back after I did the above. I really wanna try to selvage this
    computer. Time are hard and every bit saving help a long way.

    Thanks again, :)

    dwn, Feb 15, 2011
  7. Re: T30 Will not bootup

    "dwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:18:57 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Thanks TC and to Tom, I have a flu and have not replace the CMOS battery
    > nor did
    > I try one more time switching the RAM.
    >
    > Please do come back after I did the above. I really wanna try to selvage
    > this
    > computer. Time are hard and every bit saving help a long way.
    >
    > Thanks again, :)

    Oh, I don't plan to go anywhere. :) Hope the flu flies away soon.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Feb 15, 2011
  8. dwn

    Bob Villa Guest

    Re: T30 Will not bootup

    On Feb 12, 12:35 am, dwn <> wrote:
    > I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
    > and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
    >
    > Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    > O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    > 2Gb ram
    >
    > After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
    > booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a few
    > times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    > "key’s error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    > wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB (keyboard)
    > is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
    > is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    > don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.I
    >  have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion beforeI
    > junked it?

    I have had "new" ram (All-Components) go bad after a few months (no
    boot). A31

    Bob Villa, Feb 16, 2011
  9. Re: T30 Will not bootup

    "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 12, 12:35 am, dwn <> wrote:
    > I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
    > and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
    >
    > Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
    > O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
    > 2Gb ram
    >
    > After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
    > booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
    > few
    > times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
    > "key’s error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
    > wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
    > (keyboard)
    > is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
    > is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
    > don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.
    > have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
    > junked it?

    I have had "new" ram (All-Components) go bad after a few months (no
    boot). A31

    (Hmmm...Where'd the ">" go?) I typically buy Crucial or Corsair RAM, and
    that just hasn't gone bad on me yet. Have a couple 1GB sticks of one or the
    other in my R51. Think it's Corsair, but not 100%.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Feb 16, 2011
  10. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Re: T30 Will not bootup

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:11:59 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote:

    >Oh, I don't plan to go anywhere. :) Hope the flu flies away soon.

    I am back and the flu did flies awayand did a lot of walking yesterday.

    I found the exact Panasonic battery, but I cannot find a shrink wrap (yellow
    color wrapping that hold both terminals in place), no one able to shrink wrap
    the CMOS. While looking for the battery, a store checked my CMOS and they are
    still good. I tried switching the RAM module and no change. I guess that's all I
    could do, the T30 is dead?

    dwn, Feb 17, 2011
  11. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Re: T30 Will not bootup

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 04:18:12 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa <>
    wrote:

    <snip for brevity>

    >I have had "new" ram (All-Components) go bad after a few months (no
    >boot). A31

    Your experienced raise an interesting thing I did previously. While switching
    the RAM, I found one of the RAM was not installed properly. I reinsert it and
    still the same. Both are new and one is Kingston and the other Crucial (1Mbg
    each). Got it from Fry, while I was still in CA. I am very reluctant to test it
    with other RAM from my standby Dell computer.

    Further, I encounter the BBS (blank, black screen) when I first got the T30. I
    replaced the HD. It work OK for a while, till I upgrade the RAM, it went BBS
    again. I shims both RAM (not sure if crack solders). It work and later I remove
    the shims, it still work OK, than the BBS reappear. I tried shimming again, no
    luck this time.

    Thanks for your comment.

    dwn, Feb 17, 2011
  12. Re: T30 Will not bootup

    "dwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:11:59 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Oh, I don't plan to go anywhere. :) Hope the flu flies away soon.

    > I am back and the flu did flies awayand did a lot of walking yesterday.
    >
    > I found the exact Panasonic battery, but I cannot find a shrink wrap
    > (yellow
    > color wrapping that hold both terminals in place), no one able to shrink
    > wrap
    > the CMOS. While looking for the battery, a store checked my CMOS and they
    > are
    > still good. I tried switching the RAM module and no change. I guess that's
    > all I
    > could do, the T30 is dead?

    I don't know. Hopefully, one of the other folks around here can give you
    some info that will bring it back.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Feb 17, 2011
  13. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Re: T30 Will not bootup