    Thanks for any information.

    Larry Mehl

    , Dec 15, 2008

  2. Adrian C Guest

    Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    John Navas wrote:
    > Yes, there are quality differences between vendors.
    > Go with Crucial -- it's what I do. Kingston is also good.

    Thinkpads are known to be somewhat fussy about memory specs, and
    generally don't play well with standard generic stuff. Price paid for
    buying a performance-dependable machine. Why strangle it?

    Anyway decent branded memory _with support_ is cheaper now than it has
    ever been. Crucial online everytime.

    Fill yer boots :)

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Adrian C Guest

    Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    John Navas wrote:
    > Known to be fussy?

    Yes, working in the memory support business a couple of years ago, we
    were fielding issues supporting thinkpad owners with queries about
    randomly disapearing and unrecognised memory upgrades. Some of it
    naturally put down to fakes modules, faulty sockets and user
    installation issues - but even with our branded products subtle changes
    at the chip sourcing caused similar issues. I never came away with the
    internal list of problem IBM laptops - wish I did :-(

    I've personally never had that kind of problem in
    > any of the 600-series and T-series ThinkPads I've owned and used --
    > they've worked fine with both major brand and off-brand memory.

    FWIW I've personally had T23 working well on some very off-brand back of
    a chinese sweat shop toy grade encapsulated ebay no-name PC133 stuff,
    but I maybe wouldn't control a missile launch battery with that... (just
    yet)

    >> Anyway decent branded memory _with support_ is cheaper now than it has
    >> ever been. Crucial online everytime.

    > Sure, but that's just because branded memory is now so cheap. When
    > memory was much more expensive I used a fair amount of off-brand memory.

    YMMV :)

    > Also, just because it looks branded doesn't mean it actually is branded
    > -- a significant percentage of apparent branded memory is actually fake.
    > Some of the fakes are pretty cheesy, but others are nearly
    > indistinguishable from genuine.

    One facinating incident of fakes were traced back to a factory that were
    in the day manufacturing the brand's normal products, and then in the
    night shift - gang workers crept back in to produce a batch using hooky
    sourced components, visually indistiguisable from daytime product!

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Guest

    Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    On Dec 15, 10:47 am, Adrian C <> wrote:
    > John Navas wrote:
    > > Known to be fussy?

    > Yes, working in the memory support business a couple of years ago, we
    > were fielding issues supporting thinkpad owners with queries about
    > randomly disapearing and unrecognised memory upgrades. Some of it
    > naturally put down to fakes modules, faulty sockets and user
    > installation issues - but even with our branded products subtle changes
    > at the chip sourcing caused similar issues. I never came away with the
    > internal list of problem IBM laptops - wish I did :-(
    >
    >    I've personally never had that kind of problem in
    >
    > > any of the 600-series and T-series ThinkPads I've owned and used --
    > > they've worked fine with both major brand and off-brand memory.

    > FWIW I've personally had T23 working well on some very off-brand back of
    > a chinese sweat shop toy grade encapsulated ebay no-name PC133 stuff,
    > but I maybe wouldn't control a missile launch battery with that... (just
    > yet)
    >
    > >> Anyway decent branded memory _with support_ is cheaper now than it has
    > >> ever been. Crucial online everytime.

    > > Sure, but that's just because branded memory is now so cheap.  When
    > > memory was much more expensive I used a fair amount of off-brand memory..

    > YMMV :)
    >
    > > Also, just because it looks branded doesn't mean it actually is branded
    > > -- a significant percentage of apparent branded memory is actually fake..
    > > Some of the fakes are pretty cheesy, but others are nearly
    > > indistinguishable from genuine.

    > One facinating incident of fakes were traced back to a factory that were
    > in the day manufacturing the brand's normal products, and then in the
    > night shift - gang workers crept back in to produce a batch using hooky
    > sourced components, visually indistiguisable from daytime product!
    >
    > --
    > Adrian C

    Thank you all.

    Larry M

    , Dec 15, 2008
  5. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "" <> wrote in message
    > Hello --
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a vendor offering low prices on RAM.
    >
    > Is there much reliability variation between Crucial, Kingston and the
    > other manufacturers?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    I've bought Crucial and Corsair, both what I consider top of the line. I
    wouldn't hesitate to buy Kingston, either. I woudn't touch PNY with a barge
    pole.

    IMHO, go for reliable, not cheap. Of the three I consider top of the
    line -- Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston, in that order (but they're so close
    there's hardly a hair's breadth of difference), I'd even go for pulls, if I
    could find them, and wanted to save money. I've bought only new memory,
    though. But, there are other brands. Newegg advertises a lot of OCZ. Not
    sure how good they are, but I haven't bought anything bad from Newegg yet.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 16, 2008
  6. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 03:21:30 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
    > <> wrote in
    > <sWU1l.2937$>:
    >
    > >IMHO, go for reliable, not cheap. Of the three I consider top of the
    > >line -- Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston, in that order (but they're so

    close
    > >there's hardly a hair's breadth of difference), I'd even go for pulls, if

    > >could find them, and wanted to save money. I've bought only new memory,
    > >though. But, there are other brands. Newegg advertises a lot of OCZ.

    Not
    > >sure how good they are, but I haven't bought anything bad from Newegg

    yet.

    > And it stands behind what it sells. Highly recommended. But given the
    > dirt cheap price from Crucial direct, why go anywhere else?

    BION, Newegg sometimes sells Crucial cheaper than Crucial does. I've bought
    Crucial both ways, and as long as I'm buying Crucial, I'll go for the best
    price.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 18, 2008
  7. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Tom Rutherford" typed:
    > > "" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello --
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone recommend a vendor offering low prices on RAM.
    > >>
    > >> Is there much reliability variation between Crucial, Kingston and the
    > >> other manufacturers?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any information.

    > > I've bought Crucial and Corsair, both what I consider top of the
    > > line. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Kingston, either. I woudn't touch
    > > PNY with a barge pole.
    > >
    > > IMHO, go for reliable, not cheap. Of the three I consider top of the
    > > line -- Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston, in that order (but they're so
    > > close there's hardly a hair's breadth of difference), I'd even go for
    > > pulls, if I could find them, and wanted to save money. I've bought
    > > only new memory, though. But, there are other brands. Newegg
    > > advertises a lot of OCZ. Not sure how good they are, but I haven't
    > > bought anything bad from Newegg yet.

    > Yep, when I maxed out my T40 I got 2 x 1GB Transcend (with Samsung chips)
    > modules. They were NZ$70 each, postage included, and the vendor gave me
    > right-of-return for a month if they didn't work in my ThinkPad. They've

    been
    > great.

    Never heard of Transcend, but if they use Samsung chips, I wouldn't hesitate
    to buy them. Not sure what the exchange rate is between the NZ$ and the
    US$, but for DDR (not DDR2), US$79 is usually the street price these days.
    It's what Crucial wanted, last time I bought a gig for the laptop. Newegg
    wanted US$54, which is why I went with them.

    > In fact I've used Transcend in my last few desktop builds (I often build /
    > upgrade for others, friends and FoFs, usually in return for updated

    hardware
    > or, rarely, cash) and find it to be a good, reliable brand. There is no

    New
    > Zealand Crucial, Kingston or Corsair presence, just agents / importers who
    > price the stuff almost out of the market. Transcend *do* make some budget
    > stuff but I tend to not use their cheapest option, always buying at least
    > one level up.

    Well, it sounds like you don't really need those three biggies, then.

    > Most US mail/web order places (including Newegg) won't post international
    > and the few that do really bite with postal charges, making it

    uneconomical.

    Yipe! Newegg won't even sell to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico, as I
    recall; just the Continental U.S.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 18, 2008
  8. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:12:07 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
    > <> wrote in
    > <rXv2l.10236$>:
    >
    > >Never heard of Transcend, but if they use Samsung chips, I wouldn't

    hesitate
    > >to buy them.

    > There's much more to a good memory module than the chips -- you can have
    > Samsung (or any other brand) chips and it can still be a poorly designed
    > and/or poorly made module that's flaky in us. The brand of module does
    > matter!

    Okay, but why make a lousy module with good components? Whatever, I guess.
    I'll just keep buying Crucial, Corsair, etc.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 21, 2008
  9. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    > >> Yep, when I maxed out my T40 I got 2 x 1GB Transcend (with Samsung
    > >> chips) modules. They were NZ$70 each, postage included, and the
    > >> vendor gave me right-of-return for a month if they didn't work in my
    > >> ThinkPad. They've been great.

    > > Never heard of Transcend, but if they use Samsung chips, I wouldn't
    > > hesitate to buy them. Not sure what the exchange rate is between the
    > > NZ$ and the US$, but for DDR (not DDR2), US$79 is usually the street
    > > price these days. It's what Crucial wanted, last time I bought a gig
    > > for the laptop. Newegg wanted US$54, which is why I went with them.

    > I think that NZ$1 buys about 70 cents US. That means I paid around US$50 a
    > module. Not bad, usually we pay 1.5x US prices here despite being closer

    > Asia. However, when I bought them they *were* on a one-day only special

    with
    > my usual supplier.

    I hear that from folks in Oz, too, about paying more, even though they're
    closer to Asia. I do like those one-day deals, though, when I need
    something, and just happen to run across a good deal.

    > >> In fact I've used Transcend in my last few desktop builds (I often
    > >> build / upgrade for others, friends and FoFs, usually in return for
    > >> updated hardware or, rarely, cash) and find it to be a good,
    > >> reliable brand. There is no New Zealand Crucial, Kingston or Corsair
    > >> presence, just agents / importers who price the stuff almost out of
    > >> the market. Transcend *do* make some budget stuff but I tend to not
    > >> use their cheapest option, always buying at least one level up.

    > > Well, it sounds like you don't really need those three biggies, then.

    > Yeah, although a lot of people read US reviews / magazines / websites so

    pay
    > through the nose for whatever is mentioned..

    I can see where that would happen. Do you have anything analogous to
    "Consumer Reports", only for NZ? It would be nice to be able to
    compare/contrast locally available brands with those available here. I've
    read of a few brands available in Oz that I'd never heard of, but they
    appear to be top notch.

    > We actually get a few brand-names or models here that it's very hard to

    find
    > English-language info on.

    Heh! Sometimes, what is supposed to be English in manuals for products sold
    here turns out to be Manglish. :) With Taiwanese motherboards, Korean
    memory, Japanese this and Chinese that, it gets confusing. I bought a
    little handheld transceiver last March that transmits in the 2m, 1.5m, and
    70cm amateur radio bands. The radio is made by Vertex Standard, which I
    believe is Japanese. It's re-badged as Yaesu, also Japanese. There are
    versions of the radio for North America, Europe, and Asia, with certain
    frequencies blocked and certain others opened up, maybe some differences in
    power output on different bands. The radio, TTBOMK, is made in Japan, but
    some accessories are made in China. It amazes me that the manual turned out
    to be as well done as it is! There are some slight inconsistencies in the
    radio's firmware, though, like some of the shortwave presets being invalid.
    F'rinstance, there is no more BBC World Service available via shortwave, yet
    if you tune through the 83 preset shortwave frequencies, that one comes up
    from time to time. And, I haven't figured out how to edit the text tags on
    those presets to correct them. Still, I'm glad I bought the radio, because
    it performs well in the amateur bands.

    > >> Most US mail/web order places (including Newegg) won't post
    > >> international and the few that do really bite with postal charges,
    > >> making it uneconomical.

    > > Yipe! Newegg won't even sell to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico, as I
    > > recall; just the Continental U.S.

    > Yeah, I think that's right. I remember trying to get some capacitors sent

    > me from badcaps.com. No luck there either, I had to open a trade account
    > with a local branch of a wholesaler. It saved me money though. ;-)

    That's rough. I hope you got your capacitors. Here, we'd either go to the
    local Radio Shack (Tandy to you, maybe; it's Tandy in Oz) and order them, or
    we'd order them from Digi-Key or Jameco. Or, if we happened to be in a town
    where there's a real electronic supply store, there's where we'd go. Maybe
    things will improve as time goes by.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 21, 2008
  10. Adrian C Guest

    Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    Tom Rutherford wrote:
    > "John Navas" <> wrote in message

    >> There's much more to a good memory module than the chips -- you can have
    >> Samsung (or any other brand) chips and it can still be a poorly designed
    >> and/or poorly made module that's flaky in us. The brand of module does
    >> matter!

    Yup.

    > Okay, but why make a lousy module with good components?

    It sells :-(

    "Good" Components are actually graded like potatoes and the best end up
    on one modules and the worst on another. Some of the worst will be
    re-marked to look like the best, or in the case of some re-marked to
    look completely anonymous. The you have the fake stuff to contend with.

    Whatever, I guess.
    > I'll just keep buying Crucial, Corsair, etc.

    The issue is that there should be technical support and a decent RMA
    system, and a guarantee that you will hardly need to use either.

    Crucial... :)

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, Dec 21, 2008
  11. Adrian C Guest

    Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    John Navas wrote:

    >> "Good" Components are actually graded like potatoes and the best end up
    >> on one modules and the worst on another.

    > I have no idea where you're getting that,

    Sampling / Speed binning. A chip manufacturer will label (and resell to
    others - not illegal) circuits from wafers for use at different timing
    specifications. The wafers may be packaged (in plastic with wires) with
    a differing spec part number to others. They all started out as "good"
    (with the exception of early failures) and have been sub-divided to suit
    how they can be marketted on different modules be it major or 3rd party.

    but it's not generally true --
    > all parts of a given part number from major vendors are certified to
    > pass the spec for that part number. Higher grade parts have different
    > part numbers.

    Yes, the packaged chips will have different part numbers. That is unless
    fraudulently changed by devious persons keen just to make money by
    labelling a slow batch with a faster batches part number.

    The customer then buys a major-on-third module, he sees Samsung on the
    chips and unfortunately is none the wiser.

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, Dec 21, 2008
  12. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Tom Rutherford" typed:
    >>>
    >>> I think that NZ$1 buys about 70 cents US. That means I paid around
    >>> US$50 a module. Not bad, usually we pay 1.5x US prices here despite
    >>> being closer to Asia. However, when I bought them they *were* on a
    >>> one-day only special with my usual supplier.

    >> I hear that from folks in Oz, too, about paying more, even though
    >> they're closer to Asia. I do like those one-day deals, though, when
    >> I need something, and just happen to run across a good deal.

    > Yes. I find it rarely happens but when it does it's great. :)

    What usually happens to me is I'll come upon a good deal just after I've
    spent my extra funds on something else. :-(

    >>> Yeah, although a lot of people read US reviews / magazines /
    >>> websites so pay through the nose for whatever is mentioned..

    >> I can see where that would happen. Do you have anything analogous to
    >> "Consumer Reports", only for NZ?

    > Not that I'm aware of, not specifically for computer components.

    Something else we have, or used to have, that I totally forgot about, was
    Computer Shopper. It's a monthly magazine that must be close to a thousand
    pages. It's mosly ads, but there are reviews and other articles in it, too.
    I haven't even looked for one in the past 15 years or so, so they may be
    gone by now. But, they were a good source of information, if you cared to
    slog through the ads to get to it.

    >> It would be nice to be able to
    >> compare/contrast locally available brands with those available here.
    >> I've read of a few brands available in Oz that I'd never heard of,
    >> but they appear to be top notch.

    > The same thing happens here. For instance, we get Acbel powersupllies
    > marketed as such. It's my understanding that, in the US market they are an
    > OEM manufacturer for several companies, including (but not limited to)
    > Asus and that their own name is almost never on the PSU itself. Here they
    > market under their own name and give a lifetime warranty. The quality
    > seems great and the warranty is hard to beat but finding a review on a
    > particular model is next-to-impossible.

    That's interesting. I'm sure there are some like that here, but I can't
    think of any.

    >>> We actually get a few brand-names or models here that it's very hard
    >>> to find English-language info on.

    >> Heh! Sometimes, what is supposed to be English in manuals for
    >> products sold here turns out to be Manglish. :)

    > LOL, I've heard the term "Chinglish" used.

    I like that. :) The funniest example I saw, though, was from Japan.
    Another handheld ham rig, but this one was Icom. It came with a nice
    owner's manual, schematics, circuit board X-ray views, and a block diagram.
    I cracked up when I saw one of the blocks on that diagram labelled, "Voltage
    Regurator".

    >>> Yeah, I think that's right. I remember trying to get some capacitors
    >>> sent to me from badcaps.com. No luck there either, I had to open a
    >>> trade account with a local branch of a wholesaler. It saved me money
    >>> though. ;-)

    >> That's rough. I hope you got your capacitors.

    > Aye. I did, thanks. I ended up dealing with RC components.

    Peachy.

    --
    -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, portable.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 24, 2008
  13. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "Adrian C" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Rutherford wrote:
    >> "John Navas" <> wrote in message

    >>> There's much more to a good memory module than the chips -- you can have
    >>> Samsung (or any other brand) chips and it can still be a poorly designed
    >>> and/or poorly made module that's flaky in us. The brand of module does
    >>> matter!

    > Yup.
    >

    >> Okay, but why make a lousy module with good components?

    > It sells :-(

    Yeah, I guess. :-(

    > "Good" Components are actually graded like potatoes and the best end up on
    > one modules and the worst on another. Some of the worst will be re-marked
    > to look like the best, or in the case of some re-marked to look completely
    > anonymous. The you have the fake stuff to contend with.

    Seems like a reputable chip mfr. would destroy anything that was less than
    Grade B, maybe. Oh, well...

    > Whatever, I guess.
    >> I'll just keep buying Crucial, Corsair, etc.

    > The issue is that there should be technical support and a decent RMA
    > system, and a guarantee that you will hardly need to use either.
    >
    > Crucial... :)

    Absolutely. :)

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 24, 2008
  14. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 00:57:08 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
    > <> wrote in
    > <Ear3l.10585$x%>:
    >

    >>"John Navas" <> wrote in message
    >>> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    >>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:12:07 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
    >>> <> wrote in

    >>hesitate
    >>>
    >>> There's much more to a good memory module than the chips -- you can have
    >>> Samsung (or any other brand) chips and it can still be a poorly designed
    >>> and/or poorly made module that's flaky in us. The brand of module does
    >>> matter!

    >>Okay, but why make a lousy module with good components? Whatever, I
    >>guess.
    >>I'll just keep buying Crucial, Corsair, etc.

    > Often those "good components" are counterfeit -- it's a big problem.

    Gotcha.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 24, 2008
  15. Re: T60 - vendor for RAM

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:45:34 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
    > <> wrote in
    > <Bcr4l.11334$>:
    >
    > >"Adrian C" <> wrote in message

    > >> "Good" Components are actually graded like potatoes and the best end up

    on
    > >> one modules and the worst on another. Some of the worst will be

    re-marked
    > >> to look like the best, or in the case of some re-marked to look

    completely
    > >> anonymous. The you have the fake stuff to contend with.

    > >Seems like a reputable chip mfr. would destroy anything that was less

    than
    > >Grade B, maybe. Oh, well...

    > It's supposed to be destroyed, but may be stolen by dishonest employees
    > and sold into the black market. It's a big problem.

    LISB4, I guess I'll just buy recognized brands, and hope *they* don't get
    burned.

    Tom Rutherford, Jan 2, 2009