IBM Thinkpad T20 ERROR: 0271 - Check Date and Time Settings ??

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Mandy Cuthbert, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Hi. Whenever I power-up my IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop, the following error
    occurs:

    0271 - Check Date and Time Settings

    I am then prompted for the password (CMOS password?) which is always
    prompted, but when I type the password, it doesn't accept it and after
    three attempts it locks me out.

    Can someone please help me determine what it is I have to replace? Is it
    the Li-Ion battery (Fru P/N: 02K6627 / ASM P/N: 02K6621)? or is there
    like a CMOS chip somewhere I have to replace or is it the small
    Panasonic CR2032 lithium round battery that is connected to the
    motherboard (i think) once the battery is taken out (IBM P/N 02K6541 /
    FRU P/N: 02K6572)..

    If I can identify what needs to be replaced then I can buy the part to
    do this.. if someone can help it would be sincerely appreciated as i'm
    hopeless when it comes to computers/laptops.

    Thank you.

    Mandy Cuthbert, Feb 27, 2006

  2. Mandy Cuthbert

    Woody Guest

    Go to the IBM support site and download the hardware service manual for your
    thinkpad. The instructions to reset the cmos password should be in it.
    http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/s...downloadsDriversLandingPage.vm&validate=false

    Woody, Feb 27, 2006

  3. Mandy Cuthbert

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:46:42 +1100, Mandy Cuthbert wrote:

    >Whenever I power-up my IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop, the following
    >error occurs:
    >
    >0271 - Check Date and Time Settings
    >
    >Can someone please help me determine what it is I have to replace?
    > is it the small Panasonic CR2032 lithium round battery that is
    >connected to the motherboard

    That is the one, the 2032.

    Don't confuse a hardware password with any password
    you might have set in Windows. Chanses are that you do
    not have any Bios password. Try enter nothing at all.

    Lars
    Stockholm

    , Feb 27, 2006
  4. Mandy Cuthbert

    COLD WIND

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    COLD WIND, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Mandy Cuthbert

    poetbill

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    0271 after BIOS password lock out remedy

    Good Day,
    The fable of "problem from hell" once one has become BIOS password locked out of simple boot up using the "usual remedy" of "Remove the battery" (most of which are indeed removeable and replacable) followed by 0271 Check Time and Date which is not recoverable because "The password was not known so forget it" has been addressed theoretically by many programmers whom always end with " send it in to be decyphered " ..... GROW UP Microsoft !

    I was Presented with that challenge intentionally and it took me 30 minutes to see the "remove the battery" was a BIOS repair that removed the password yet "Why" does it not boot. Well fellow genius prodigies with a simple bridge meter test I see......... The "password unknown cut out malarky is housed within the keyboard itself" so now Three reenactments later the issue is clear, pull the plug on the keyboard, plug in an old windows 95 (or windows 98 , it worked also) keyboard and the theoretical "remove the battery to erase the Bios password theory IS VALID" once the keyboard has been replaced, even if by a barbaric one.

    Hey Windows ME isn't that bad after all , nor are the others plagued by BIOS password TRICKERY....... it's a Keyboard issue whic puts the "secondary sympto, 1271 Date and time suspect/victim back on the road to "No buying a new PUTER" the old one is "Just fine".

    Tee Hee, total time spent on the problem, including finding my old bridge meter under a pile of ......crud.... 1 1/2 hours..... beat that.

    How many got thrown out because the theoretical remedy din't work...to many.

    poetbill, Jan 25, 2009