    flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally it will power up and
    work fine until the next time it is powered on. How do I disassemble the
    T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still wouldn't come apart.
    digi2, Jun 19, 2004

  2. digi2

    Ian S Guest

    "digi2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a T21 that I purchased new several years ago. It now has a power

    up
    > problem. Most of the time, when the power button is pressed, the HD led
    > flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally it will power up and
    > work fine until the next time it is powered on. How do I disassemble the
    > T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still wouldn't come apart.

    If it just gives you a blank screen with no POST and no error messages, it
    sounds like the problem that developed with my T22. Fortunately, it's still
    under warranty because they're replacing the MB. As far as dissassembly, if
    you have another computer with access to the internet, you should be able to
    find the instructions for taking it apart on the IBM website. The document
    is called "IBM Mobile Systems ThinkPad Computer Hardware Maintenance Manual"
    and cover the T2x series of Thinkpad. Good luck!
    Ian S, Jun 19, 2004

  3. digi2

    B.M. Wright Guest

    digi2 <> wrote:
    > I have a T21 that I purchased new several years ago. It now has a power up
    > problem. Most of the time, when the power button is pressed, the HD led
    > flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally it will power up and
    > work fine until the next time it is powered on. How do I disassemble the
    > T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still wouldn't come apart.

    I'm not sure, but if you find the answer I'd like to know as
    well. I have one that is between 3-4 years old and it has started to do
    the same thing. The first time it happened I gave up after pulling out
    all of the memory/mini-pci/disk drive/battery/etc.. and trying to power
    it on. I also tried a different power adapter and battery, nothing
    worked. After it sat in the bag for a while one day I tried it again
    and it just worked. It worked for quite a while, then recently it did
    the same thing, I disconnected the power adapter and pulled the battery
    out, let it sit for a day or two, then it powered back on.

    This seems to happen after it's been powered on for some time
    then I shut it off and leave it connected to the power adapter. When
    it's connected and it happens I just get a faint flicker of the HD
    light, if I disconnect the adapter I actually get a bit of a "click"
    noise coming from, what I believe is the speaker. It's really strange,
    almost as if there's a relay that trips when the button is presed and
    that relay is getting "stuck", preventing it from powering on.

    Does anyone repair these regularly and if so are you familiar
    with this problem and the fix because it seems quite common.

    Thanks for any help.
    B.M. Wright, Jun 21, 2004
  4. digi2

    JHEM Guest

    digi2 <> wrote:
    > I have a T21 that I purchased new several years ago. It now has a
    > power up problem. Most of the time, when the power button is
    > pressed, the HD led flashes and thats all that happens. Occasionally
    > it will power up and work fine until the next time it is powered on.
    > How do I disassemble the T-21? I took out 16 screws and it still
    > wouldn't come apart.

    Change the CMOS (RTC) battery!

    Remove the primary battery and you'll see the RTC battery under a small
    plastic holder.

    --
    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Jun 21, 2004
  5. digi2

    Doug7738

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    T-21 lcd problem

    my thinkpad 2648 T-21 started to have lcd problem this last week,after reading all forums on the subject I think my problem is a short, my screen stays working as long as i dont move it .. if i shut it down and startup and find it blank,turning the laptop upside down and opening the top all the way open and closing it almost all the way has brought the screen back on, I had a no boot issue for about a month and almost gave up on this laptop until a friend got it working, after one day getting it back with a fresh lease on life this blank screen issue happened ,.perhaps unrelated but no data was able to be retrieved from my hard drive, nothing anyway I have been reading how it could be one of four things; inverter board, back light, lcd cable or cover switch .Iam leaning towards lid switch or lcd cable ,
    Doug7738, Nov 20, 2007