    i just had it in and it took 4 F*^&$&^ weeks to get it back and i dont
    want to see those idiots again.

    i updated the bois to the latest version.

    Brent Starkes, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Brent Starkes

    Bobby Guest

    Serial # and model information is in the registry. You would get invalid
    machine type if you take a drive with the OS on it from one machine and
    install it in another - this causes a mismatch between what is in BIOS and
    what the registry reports.

    There are multiple entries in the Registry and you have to change all of
    them.

    Bobby, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Brent Starkes

    GomJabbar Guest

  4. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:08:59 -0400, "Bobby" <> wrote:

    > Serial # and model information is in the registry.

    That is bad information. They are embedded in firmware on the system
    board and not primarily in the registry or anywhere else on the hard
    drive. Removing the hard drive and booting into BIOS will show that.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Brent Starkes

    Bobby Guest

    Not really - it is in firmware (of course), it is also in the registry - the
    reason the original poster is getting an invalid machine type is because the
    BIOS and the registry are giving conflicting information.

    Bobby, Jun 29, 2005
  6. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:50:27 -0400, "Bobby" <> wrote:

    > Not really - it is in firmware (of course), it is also in the registry - the
    > reason the original poster is getting an invalid machine type is because the
    > BIOS and the registry are giving conflicting information.

    Not in my experience.

    To keep my desktop and portable computers synchronised I restore the
    entire disk image from my T42 onto my X40s, complete with registry,
    programs, drivers and all. After doing that, all I need do is uninstall
    the T42 ATI video package and replace it with the X40 Intel Extreme one.
    The machines have very different model and serial numbers and that has
    never stopped the Software Installer from doing its thing correctly for
    the right model.

    I suspect that the model number in the system flash RAM has been changed,
    perhaps, by use or abuse of a firmware update tool, to an invalid number.

    The user should boot into BIOS and check to see whether the model number
    displayed there still agrees with what is printed on the machine's label.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 29, 2005
  7. yeah... the dame fx-37812(it matchs) is there but the morons forgot to
    update the serial number(its blank)

    Brent Starkes, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Brent Starkes

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > To keep my desktop and portable computers synchronised I restore the
    > entire disk image from my T42 onto my X40s, complete with registry,
    > programs, drivers and all. After doing that, all I need do is
    > uninstall the T42 ATI video package and replace it with the X40 Intel
    > Extreme one. The machines have very different model and serial
    > numbers and that has never stopped the Software Installer from doing
    > its thing correctly for the right model.

    Wow.

    I used to do transport an IDE drive back and forth between several
    machines back in the Win95 days, but I've never heard of anyone doing
    anything like that with XP-based systems -- before your post. I suppose
    if the machines are similar *enough* in hardware architecture (and you
    know how to work around XP's whatever-they-call-it "are you legal?"
    check!) that it's doable, but I'm not sure how much time *I'd* want to
    spend trying to get such a thing to work.

    --
    da
    ~~

    Donkey Agony, Jun 29, 2005
  9. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:36:38 -0400, "Donkey Agony" <root@[127.0.0.1]>
    wrote:

    > I used to do transport an IDE drive back and forth between several
    > machines back in the Win95 days, but I've never heard of anyone doing
    > anything like that with XP-based systems -- before your post. I suppose
    > if the machines are similar *enough* in hardware architecture (and you
    > know how to work around XP's whatever-they-call-it "are you legal?"
    > check!) that it's doable, but I'm not sure how much time *I'd* want to
    > spend trying to get such a thing to work.

    It takes no time and it sure beats keeping multiple architectures current
    for new releases of web browsers and my applications data.

    I guess that the T42 and X40 are somewhat similar apart from the video.
    One other factor is that I edit the Volume Serial Numbers of the Hard
    Drives to match in case applications are locked onto that. It also helps
    that IBM computers all use an OEM release of XP, so there is no activation
    issue or the need to be storing and restoring the wpa.dbl files.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jun 29, 2005
  10. solution: edit registery

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ThinkPadSoftwareInstaller\SysInfoOW]
    "MachineType"="2722"
    "ModelName"="GCU"

    its not a fix for the bios or the morons at the shop.... but it works

    Brent

    Brent Starkes, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Anthony Gold is quite correct. The machine type and serial number is
    in the BIOS and has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the registry. IBM on
    line software is able to access the info. If the system board was
    replaced and they did not install the serial numbers, they made an
    improper repair, this can be cured with the IBM Hardware Maintenance
    diskette.
    Or of course you can simply download and install the updated drivers
    manually

    Bruce Markowitz, Jun 29, 2005