IBM TP T42, Sony Clie, Infrared Hotsync prob

Discussion in 'IBM' started by William Smith, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Anyone running PalmOS Hotsync with infrared and an IBM Thinkpad?

    I am trying to use my IBM Thinkpad T42 (WinXP SP2, Palm Desktop 4.0.1) to
    Hotsync with my Sony Clie PEG-SJ22 (PalmOS 4.0) over the infrared port.
    The background here is that my hotsync cradle connector is busted... it can
    be used to recharge the Clie, but not to Hotsync over a standard serial COM
    port. I've tried different cables.

    I get the Infrared driver system tray icon to appear when I move the Clie
    in front of it. The tooltip says "<name> is in range", where <name> is the
    valid username on the Clie. Also, if I start the Hotsync on the Clie, I
    see the system tray icon appear with the tooltip "IrCOMM", but the Hotsync
    connection never occurs and the Hotsync times out on the Clie.

    Is anyone getting this to run successfully? I see my WinXP infrared driver
    running with DMA and IRQ levels of 3, so I'm assuming the COM3 port is
    being used... that's what the Hotsync app on my WinXP system is set to.

    Individual file transfers do work through the "Wireless Transfer" window
    which opens when I click on the infrared system tray icon, but this is not
    a good alternative to Hotsync. Help! Please?

    Many thanks in advance!

    Bill Smith

    William Smith, Aug 18, 2004

  2. William Smith wrote:

    > Anyone running PalmOS Hotsync with infrared and an IBM Thinkpad?
    >
    > I am trying to use my IBM Thinkpad T42 (WinXP SP2, Palm Desktop 4.0.1) to
    > Hotsync with my Sony Clie PEG-SJ22 (PalmOS 4.0) over the infrared port.
    > The background here is that my hotsync cradle connector is busted... it can
    > be used to recharge the Clie, but not to Hotsync over a standard serial COM
    > port. I've tried different cables.
    >
    > I get the Infrared driver system tray icon to appear when I move the Clie
    > in front of it. The tooltip says "<name> is in range", where <name> is the
    > valid username on the Clie. Also, if I start the Hotsync on the Clie, I
    > see the system tray icon appear with the tooltip "IrCOMM", but the Hotsync
    > connection never occurs and the Hotsync times out on the Clie.
    >
    > Is anyone getting this to run successfully? I see my WinXP infrared driver
    > running with DMA and IRQ levels of 3, so I'm assuming the COM3 port is
    > being used... that's what the Hotsync app on my WinXP system is set to.
    >
    > Individual file transfers do work through the "Wireless Transfer" window
    > which opens when I click on the infrared system tray icon, but this is not
    > a good alternative to Hotsync. Help! Please?

    Works fine on my ThinkPad A31. Note that you must A) enable IR on the
    Windows side of HotSync and B) select IR on the Palm side of HotSync.

    It's a /lot/ slower than USB; I've never used plain serial, so I can't
    compare to that.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne

    John W. Kennedy, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Thanks for the hints. I didn't have a specific "Infrared" option in my
    Hotsync, so I decided to go get the latest version of Palm Desktop. I have
    v4.1.4, which the Sony patches don't like, but I now have Infrared on
    Hotsync and I am succeeding now! Woohoo!

    You are right... it's SLOW! But it's better than no backed up files.

    Bill

    William Smith, Aug 21, 2004