IC7-G -24 Bios wont boot my SATA (non-raid) drives

Discussion in 'Abit' started by William Graves, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. IC7-G II
    Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
    Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
    doesn't have OS or something type message.

    I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
    behavior.
    Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
    FlashMenu find the most current version!

    Anyone else seen this?

    I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
    other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
    I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.

    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

    1. Advertising

  2. TomG

    TomG Guest

    sounds to me like you are missing something in the settings in the bios.
    I'm running a SATA raid 0 array on the Intel controller without issue. no
    hard drives on PATA IDE, only DVD-ROM and DVD burner on PATA. another SATA
    drive on the SI controller... boots just fine.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "William Graves" <> wrote in message
    > IC7-G II
    > Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
    > Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
    > doesn't have OS or something type message.
    >
    > I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
    > behavior.
    > Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
    > FlashMenu find the most current version!
    >
    > Anyone else seen this?
    >
    > I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
    > other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
    > I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.
    >
    > -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Bill Graves RKBA!

    1. Advertising

  3. Mecho

    Mecho Guest

    that I >IC7-G II
    >Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
    >Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
    >doesn't have OS or something type message.
    >
    >I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
    >behavior.
    >Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
    >FlashMenu find the most current version!
    >
    >Anyone else seen this?
    >
    >I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
    >other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
    >I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.
    >
    >-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >Bill Graves RKBA!

    Clear your CMOS properly. Then set accordingly.

  4. > Clear your CMOS properly. Then set accordingly.
    Yes, I disconnect power supply, change jumper, pull battery and wait 30
    minutes. Then I get a CMOS checksum error, and it sets defaults, then I
    re-enter my settings. Result = POST, then Floppy light comes on then no can
    boot message. It is really insistent on this floppy boot even if I remove
    BOOT FLOPPY from ALL bios settings!

    If I put in a floppy it boots fine! Why if the floppy is empty, won't it
    boot the SATA drives?

    NOW if I leave the BIOS in the above state and just flash back to -19, all
    works perfectly and the SATA drives are booted.
    This is beyond bizarre (sp?)

    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

  5. "William Graves" <> wrote in message...
    > IC7-G II
    > Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
    > Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
    > doesn't have OS or something type message.

    There are some changes made to the Intel Serial ATA BIOS core between these
    two builds so it's not too surprising you're seeing oddness; you're not the
    first.

    > I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify
    > this behavior.

    Eh? You kept the CMOS contents the same? Does this mean you reset the CMOS
    with the jumper then manually re-entered all the parameters, or does it mean
    you simply flashed the BIOSes back and forth without using the jumper at
    all?

    If you are doing the latter, try resetting the CMOS and doing it all again.

    > Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having
    > the FlashMenu find the most current version!

    The 25 BIOS is on Abit's main download site. Do you have the latest drivers
    loaded for the Intel SATA controller by the way?

    > I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2,
    > non-RAID, and no other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).

    Have you made sure the boot priority options in the Advanced Setup section
    of the BIOS are correct - i.e. Onchip SATA, HDD-0 as the first boot device
    option? Would also be worth removing the SCSI controller temporarily to see
    if that clears it.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  6. TomG

    TomG Guest

    sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in device
    and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?

    --

  7. "TomG" <> wrote in message
    > sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in

    device
    > and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?
    > Thomas Geery
    > Network+ certified

    That's what is so strange. Add-in device is set to OnBoard SATA. 1st
    Device=Floppy, 2nd=CDROM, 3rd=Hard drive.
    BUT even if I set 1st=hard drive, 2nd=disabled, 3rd=disabled, it STILL goes
    to the floppy! And this is after reset CMOS and pulling battery for 30
    minutes then entering parameters. It is bizarre!

    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

  8. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:28:18 GMT, "William Graves"
    <> wrote:

    >IC7-G II
    >Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
    >Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
    >doesn't have OS or something type message.

    What is the EXACT message ?

    You may need to re-install the OS. There was significant changes in
    BIOS for ICH5 in -24 and -25. If you have a spare SATA drive,
    you could try a baseline OS install and see if the problem disappears.

    John Lewis

    >I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
    >behavior.
    >Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
    >FlashMenu find the most current version!
    >
    >Anyone else seen this?
    >
    >I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
    >other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
    >I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.
    >
    >-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >Bill Graves RKBA!

  9. > sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in
    device
    > and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?
    > Thomas Geery
    > Network+ certified

    Well actually, it is. Add-In device is on-CHIP SATA, add-in device is
    enabled. 1st Boot is Floppy, 2nd is CDROM 3rd is HARD DISK. But I have
    actually tried 1st=hard disk and other 2 disabled with the same result.

    During POST it shows my two SATA drives as IDE-1 and IDE-2 BUT then it tries
    to boot the floppy every time!
    I am duplicating the CMOS setup for a BIOS -19 and then a BIOS -21. The -19
    works just fine but the -21 (and later) all exhibit this strange desire to
    boot a non-existent floppy.
    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

  10. "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > There are some changes made to the Intel Serial ATA BIOS core between

    these
    > two builds so it's not too surprising you're seeing oddness; you're not

    the
    > first.
    >
    > Eh? You kept the CMOS contents the same? Does this mean you reset the CMOS
    > with the jumper then manually re-entered all the parameters, or does it

    mean
    > you simply flashed the BIOSes back and forth without using the jumper at
    > all?
    >
    > If you are doing the latter, try resetting the CMOS and doing it all

    again.

    Thanks, good to know that the SATA BIOS core did change. I have tried
    the -21 BIOS with the same result. Is that when the change was made?

    CMOS reset for -25 was shutdown, power off, remove battery, set jumper and
    wait 30 minutes. Then boot and get same problem after setting the CMOS
    parameters (press DEL etc). What is interesting to me is after this -25
    failure, I reset the BIOS to -19 WITHOUT clearing and the system booted just
    fine! Could there be a hardware revision needed for these later bios
    versions?
    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

  11. "John Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > What is the EXACT message ?

    System tries to boot a non-existent floppy and then the message:
    "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

    > You may need to re-install the OS. There was significant changes in
    > BIOS for ICH5 in -24 and -25. If you have a spare SATA drive,
    > you could try a baseline OS install and see if the problem disappears.
    > John Lewis

    Info: I have just tried the -21 BIOS with a similar result.

    Are you thinking that the system is loading code from the hard drive, then
    deciding to boot the floppy?
    Its hard to believe that the boot sector code would need to be different for
    a BIOS change - the key here is that the BIOS keeps trying to boot the
    floppy and never gets past that first read attempt.

    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

  12. TomG

    TomG Guest

    Richard Hopkins had a good suggestion in disabling the SCSI bios or
    temporarily removing the SCSI board to see if that is what is causing it.
    also, make sure the USB support is not set to BIOS as I have seen weird
    stuff happen when USB support is set to bios as opposed to OS.

    --

    > "TomG" <> wrote in message
    > > sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in

    > device
    > > and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?
    > > Thomas Geery
    > > Network+ certified

    > That's what is so strange. Add-in device is set to OnBoard SATA. 1st
    > Device=Floppy, 2nd=CDROM, 3rd=Hard drive.
    > BUT even if I set 1st=hard drive, 2nd=disabled, 3rd=disabled, it STILL

    goes
    > to the floppy! And this is after reset CMOS and pulling battery for 30
    > minutes then entering parameters. It is bizarre!
    >
    > -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Bill Graves RKBA!

  13. TomG

    TomG Guest

    no hardware revision needed as I have an early version board and I am
    running 25 with no issues on a SATA Raid 0 array. also have an Adaptec SCSI
    card in there too.

    --

    > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > > There are some changes made to the Intel Serial ATA BIOS core between

    > these
    > > two builds so it's not too surprising you're seeing oddness; you're not

    > the
    > > first.
    > >
    > > Eh? You kept the CMOS contents the same? Does this mean you reset the

    CMOS
    > > with the jumper then manually re-entered all the parameters, or does it

    > mean
    > > you simply flashed the BIOSes back and forth without using the jumper at
    > > all?
    > >
    > > If you are doing the latter, try resetting the CMOS and doing it all

    > again.
    >
    > Thanks, good to know that the SATA BIOS core did change. I have tried
    > the -21 BIOS with the same result. Is that when the change was made?
    >
    > CMOS reset for -25 was shutdown, power off, remove battery, set jumper and
    > wait 30 minutes. Then boot and get same problem after setting the CMOS
    > parameters (press DEL etc). What is interesting to me is after this -25
    > failure, I reset the BIOS to -19 WITHOUT clearing and the system booted

    just
    > fine! Could there be a hardware revision needed for these later bios
    > versions?
    > -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Bill Graves RKBA!

  14. TomG

    TomG Guest

    yeah, I'm not too sure that an OS reload would be the ticket... at least not
    yet.

    --

    > "John Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > > What is the EXACT message ?

    > System tries to boot a non-existent floppy and then the message:
    > "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
    >
    > > You may need to re-install the OS. There was significant changes in
    > > BIOS for ICH5 in -24 and -25. If you have a spare SATA drive,
    > > you could try a baseline OS install and see if the problem disappears.
    > > John Lewis

    > Info: I have just tried the -21 BIOS with a similar result.
    >
    > Are you thinking that the system is loading code from the hard drive, then
    > deciding to boot the floppy?
    > Its hard to believe that the boot sector code would need to be different

    for
    > a BIOS change - the key here is that the BIOS keeps trying to boot the
    > floppy and never gets past that first read attempt.
    >
    > -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Bill Graves RKBA!

  15. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:02:51 -0400, "TomG" <>
    wrote:

    >yeah, I'm not too sure that an OS reload would be the ticket... at least not
    >yet.

    Agreed. Not with the message as posted by Bill.

    All very strange. No more ideas at the moment.

    John Lewis

  16. Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Not being familiar with that board, and I'm not sure why it would but
    could the BIOS be trying to read the boot block which would only
    recognize the floppy drive? Just a stab in the dark....

    Leon Rowell

  17. "William Graves" <> wrote in message..
    > System tries to boot a non-existent floppy and then the message:
    > "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
    > PRESS ENTER"

    Bill, can you go into the Advanced BIOS Features section of the BIOS, and
    list for us exactly what you see in everything from "Hard Disk Boot
    Priority" to "Boot Other Device"?

    > Are you thinking that the system is loading code from the hard drive,
    > then deciding to boot the floppy?

    It's not loading anything from the hard disk. If it was, you wouldn't be
    seeing what you're seeing. What's happening here is that it's failing to
    boot from the hard disk, and is then turning to the floppy in desperation.

    > Its hard to believe that the boot sector code would need to be
    > different for a BIOS change

    It isn't, you're correct there.

    Don't know if you've already tried this bunch of settings, but if not, have
    a crack at the following:

    Integrated Peripherals/Onboard IDE Device:
    Set Onchip SATA mode to RAID
    Set SATA RAID ROM to Enabled

    Advanced BIOS Setup:
    Set Hard Disk Boot Priority to "Bootable Add-In Device"
    Set Bootable Add-In Device to Onchip SATA RAID
    Set HDD Change Message to Disabled
    Set First Boot Device to Hard Disk
    Set Second Boot Device to Disabled
    Set Third Boot Device to Disabled
    Set Boot Other Device to Disabled

    After you've set the BIOS like that, reboot the PC, and make certain that
    your hard disk is identified and listed on the Intel RAID BIOS (Ctrl-I)
    screen during POST. If it isn't, you have a physical problem either with the
    power to the hard disk, its connection to the SATA controller, or a fault in
    the controller itself.

    Provided the HD is identified during POST, the settings I've described above
    will force the PC to boot from the primary hard disk connected to the Intel
    RAID controller. If it still won't boot, trying a fresh OS installation is
    the next diagnostic step.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  18. > Advanced BIOS Setup:
    > Set Hard Disk Boot Priority to "Bootable Add-In Device"

    Are you sure this is the right order. Currently, this displays IDE1, IDE2
    then Bootable add-in.
    Works fine with the -19 BIOS.
    Since the SATA drives map into the IDE-1 slots and are properly identified,
    I thought the boot order should still be IDE1 IDE2 etc.
    Perhaps this is the change with the later BIOS?

    I have to wait until the weekend when I can experiment.
    -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Bill Graves RKBA!

  19. "William Graves" wrote in message...
    >> Advanced BIOS Setup:
    >> Set Hard Disk Boot Priority to "Bootable Add-In Device"

    > Are you sure this is the right order.

    Yep, works for me! :)

    > Since the SATA drives map into the IDE-1 slots and are properly
    > identified,
    > I thought the boot order should still be IDE1 IDE2 etc.

    I think this is where your machine is getting confused. If you have the
    Intel S-ATA controller configured in RAID mode, the SATA slots don't
    map/shadow/whatever the IDE slots at all, they function as completely
    separate entities. The very fact that you see IDE1 and IDE2 in the boot
    device priority list seems a little odd. On my system the only thing visible
    is the Bootable Add-In Device.

    > Perhaps this is the change with the later BIOS?

    Could well be. To be honest it's that long since I've run the board with the
    older BIOS builds that I can't remember exactly how I had it set up then.
    The parameters mentioned previously, and the possible behaviour modes I
    mentioned afterwards will either fix the problem or clue you in
    authoritatively to where it lies, so that's the way to proceed.

    Let us know what happens when you have time to play with it!
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  20. Re: IC7-G -24 Bios wont boot my SATA (non-raid) drives - ANSWER

    Below were my settings except I select a specific IDE1 hard drive under
    "Hard Disk Boot Priority". Using "Bootable Add-in device" makes no
    difference because the SATA drives are already mapped to the IDE1, IDE2.

    After much experimenting, the answer is my SCI card Adaptec 2940U2W.
    The card has a setting "BIOS Support for Bootable CDROM". If I disable
    this, the -25 Bios works fine (but I can not boot from a CDROM on the SCSI
    chain, of course).

    The above setting works fine on the -19 BIOS.
    also the above setting works fine IF there is a CDROM in the drive.

    Bizarre beyond belief. What did ABIT do that changes the way the SCSI
    behaves?

    Bill Graves RKBA!