IC7-G and two soundcards?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by h2so4, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. h2so4

    h2so4 Guest

    Hello,

    I'd like your comments and advice. Having decided that there's little point
    in upgrading to a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card for a few
    months at least, I've decided to upgrade my system by adding a 5.1 surround
    sound multimedia set up. This will cost marginally less than upgrading my
    PC.

    I've ordered a Denon 500sd home cinema setup to hang on to my system, an
    IC7-G with reasonably high specs with a Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS soundcard.
    So here's my problem. Creative's implentation of the optical out is not 100%
    compatible with normal hi fi setups. In my blind blundering around the web
    in search of enlightenment, I've discovered that there is a very cheap
    soundcard based on the Turtle Beach card for about twenty quid (about thirty
    three bucks US), a quarter of the price of the Audigy 2ZS. This card's
    inputs and outputs are 100% compatible with all current audio and visual
    standards. I've read some good reviews of this card and some comments
    suggesting that it is possible to run two pci soundcards and there are
    circumstances when this is desirable.

    Should I dump the Audigy in favour of the Turtle Beach? Pricewise, this
    feels like an expensive downgrade, given that I have to write off the Audigy
    after only a few months of otherwise satisfactory use.

    I'd welcome informed comments and advice from sound experts, moral
    philosophers, sheep shaggers, Richard, John and anyone else around.

    NB. Please note that this is an Abit IC7-G based system so don't be boring,
    but don't hesitate to direct me an alternative source of information.

    h2so4, Dec 5, 2004

  2. "h2so4" <> wrote in message...
    > So here's my problem. Creative's implentation of the optical
    > out is not 100% compatible with normal hi fi setups.

    Where did you get that idea? I've used a succession of SoundBlaster Live!'s,
    Audigys, Audigy 2's and ZS' with both DIY and official optical outputs on
    them for several years and connected them to an equal variety of medium to
    somewhat high end DAC's and surround processors with no "compatibility"
    problems whatsoever.

    > I've discovered that there is a very cheap soundcard based on
    > the Turtle Beach card... This card's inputs and outputs are 100%
    > compatible with all current audio and visual standards.

    ?? In what way could a soundcard be compatible with current *visual*
    standards? Again I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at when you
    suggest that the Audigy isn't 100% compatible with current hi fi audio
    standards. There's no reason why the optical and electrical digital outs on
    your soundcard shouldn't talk to your new audio system.

    > Should I dump the Audigy in favour of the Turtle Beach?

    As things stand I don't see why you feel the Audigy 2 ZS wouldn't do the job
    for you. There's no fundamental reason why you wouldn't be able to run a
    pair of soundcards in tandem, but if you've no reason to do so, there's no
    reason why you should go to the expense or extra complexity.

    It's probably also worth asking why you'd feel the need to buy a separate
    PCI soundcard for digital output, when you've already got one built into the
    board...
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 5, 2004

  3. h2so4

    xmRadio Guest

    "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > "h2so4" <> wrote in message...
    > It's probably also worth asking why you'd feel the need to buy a separate
    > PCI soundcard for digital output, when you've already got one built into

    the
    > board...
    > --

    I need my audigy because it rips direct from cd to mp3 files....

    And I can select the bit rate, usually 96kbs, 41s, for radio stuff....

    xman

    xmRadio, Dec 5, 2004
  4. "xmRadio" <> wrote in message...
    > I need my audigy because....

    You missed my point completely xman, so do not pass Go, and definitely don't
    collect $200.

    I wasn't asking Mr Sulphide why he needed his Audigy 2, I was asking him
    why, if his Audigy didn't do what he needed in the digital output
    department, he felt the need to buy a cheap PCI soundcard when his
    motherboard has a cheap, digital output equipped PCI soundchip onboard.

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 6, 2004
  5. h2so4

    h2so4 Guest

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

    Thanks for replying Richard. I've read a couple of reviews that said
    something to the effect that Creative's implentation of Digital out (I
    think!) works only partially with mainstream digital sound equipment. I've
    read so much stuff that I can no longer find the links in my history page.
    I'll go back over some of the ground I covered again to see if I can find
    them. As I recall, these reviews sounded reasonably authorititive to my
    virgin ears.

    My reference to "current viual standards" was a clumsy and ill considered
    attempt at shorthand. I was referring to the fact that the Turtle Beach card
    had all the correct acronyms attributed to it i.e., DTS ES EAX 2, etc and
    the correct plumbing. Anyway if you are correct and I've either
    misunderstood or been misinformed, I can forget the soundcard issue and move
    on to the next one. Can I connect my DVI-D TFT monitor to the home cinema
    system? This is a Benq FP791 with a seperate AV/TV tuner unit. This TV works
    through the monitor with decent picture quality but as I have a Nebula
    Digitv card in my system that works better so I've not used it. Ideally I'd
    like to be able to play DVDs with my computer turned off and to blast away
    in Half Life 2 with the full benefit of a demi decent 5.1 surround sound
    through the Denon DHT-SD. Then my life will be complete, until next month's
    PC Pro, What HiFi and Buxom Babes in Marmalade hit the bookstands!

    Buxom babes apart, I'd welcome any further thoughts you or any other kind
    soul may have on these weighty issues.

    Regards,

    Ron.

    h2so4, Dec 6, 2004