    two drives is saying "Smart Event". The system still boots up and seems to
    run OK, but I can't find the meaning of smart event. Can anyone explain this
    indication?

    Steve Selinger, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Steve Selinger

    Dylan C Guest

    Steve Selinger wrote:
    > I have been using this MB for about 3 years, running RAID with the Intel
    > controller, without problems. When the system boots up in shows the status
    > of each HD in the raid chain and says normal next to it. Recently one of the
    > two drives is saying "Smart Event". The system still boots up and seems to
    > run OK, but I can't find the meaning of smart event. Can anyone explain this
    > indication?

    SMART is a type of internal diagnostic system, if I remember correctly.
    From the info at wikipedia, it looks like your drive has triggered a
    diagnostic message, but its not necessarily easy to tell whats wrong.
    Perhaps the manufacturer of your drive has a diagnostic reporting tool
    that you can download.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Oct 17, 2006

  3. "Steve Selinger" <> wrote in message...
    >I have been using this MB for about 3 years, running RAID with the Intel
    >controller, without problems. When the system boots up in shows the
    > status of each HD in the raid chain and says normal next to it. Recently
    > one of the two drives is saying "Smart Event". The system still boots up
    > and seems to run OK, but I can't find the meaning of smart event. Can
    > anyone explain this indication?

    Dylan's suggestion is bang on the money. SMART is an internal diagnostics
    system that was common on hard disks a few years back but never really
    caught on in drive controllers. It is designed to monitor the drive's
    functionality and log "events" - which can be anything from an unexpected
    spindown/spin-up to a head crash, to a write failure, to whatever.

    If you hunt around you'll probably find an OS-level SMART reporting tool
    here and there, but these tend not to work properly on drives connected in a
    RAID array. As such best way to diagnose it would be, as Dylan suggests, to
    download the appropriate Fitness Test/Feature Tool for your drives from the
    manufacturer's website.

    These normally take the form of a boot floppy, or nowadays a bootable image
    that can be burned to CD, and should give you full access to the SMART
    status messages as well as allowing you to run full low level diagnostic
    tests on the drives.

    A full test on both drives is largely precautionary at this stage but you
    want to do it in order either to be confident that both are A-OK, or,
    alternatively, to get some advance warning if one of the disks is indeed
    compromised/in the early stages of failure.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Steve Selinger

    Guest

    you should have the IAA app installed (intel application accellerator, or
    the newer matrix storage manager); look for it in the start menu and/or
    control panel [it's part of the driver]. It has a tab that shows the
    smart info for your array. [I think! Mine uses SATA drives, with no smart;
    but std ide's should show it]. IAA also can add events to the event log,
    I'd suspect that a smart "error" would qualify as something worth logging,
    so check there.

    if that is not fruitful check the drive manufacturer's site, they should
    offer a tool that interrogates the smart info.

    you also might try invoking the raid bios, cntrl-I, at boot; since it's
    showing the msg it makes sense that going into it may reveil more.

    smart "errors" typically portend a disk failure, so backup up now!

    , Oct 17, 2006
  5. Steve Selinger

    TomG Guest

    no SMART tab on the IAA in my system...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    TomG, Oct 18, 2006
  6. "TomG" <> wrote in message...
    > no SMART tab on the IAA in my system...

    Mine neither. Methinks the reason Frodo doesn't see this tab on his own
    system is because the IAA Utility/Matrix Storage Manager doesn't support
    SMART status reporting, period.

    The IAA RAID BIOS definitely doesn't, so the suggestion to try Ctrl+I isn't
    any good either.

    As previously mentioned, utility from the drive manufacturer is the first
    and best way to go.

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 18, 2006
  7. TomG wrote:

    | no SMART tab on the IAA in my system...

    Why would your system need a gizmo designed to improve the performance of
    your boat?

    http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm

    Just curious.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Steve Selinger

    g0pher Guest

    Unlike most (if not all) Windows-based "SMART" utilities, the SMARTUDM
    utility (DOS-based) is able to get past most RAID controllers and read
    SMART data for individual hard drives without having to break the
    array, move drives around to other controllers or connections, etc.

    http://www.sysinfolab.com/files/smartudm.zip

    It works on my IC7-MAX3 using SI3114, as well as previously BD7II-RAID
    using HPT372. Not sure if it supports Intel RAID, but worth a try.

    - g0pher

    g0pher, Oct 19, 2006
  9. Steve Selinger

    0_Qed Guest

    Bird Janitor® wrote:

    > TomG wrote:
    > |
    > | no SMART tab on the IAA in my system...
    > |

    > Why would your system need a gizmo designed to improve the performance of
    > your boat?
    >
    > http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm
    >
    > Just curious.

    :)

    Hes' never been quite the same ,
    after he fell off that cruise ship ... well out to sea.

    I also suspect he got called to "duty" ... once too often ...
    Those Cancun expat "Ladies" can be deadly to an old geezer like him ,
    esp in quick 'sequence'.

    'RIP', TomG.

    Qed

    0_Qed, Oct 19, 2006
  10. "0_Qed" wrote in message...
    > Hes' never been quite the same ,
    > after he fell off that cruise ship ... well out to sea.
    >
    > I also suspect he got called to "duty" ... once too often ...
    > Those Cancun expat "Ladies" can be deadly to an old geezer like him ,
    > esp in quick 'sequence'.
    >
    > 'RIP', TomG.

    Good grief! Qed, Jef, Tom, me all posting on the same thread. All we need is
    the dearly departed sheep worrier to return to the fold and the circle will
    be complete. Everything changes, yet everything stays the same!

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 19, 2006
  11. Qed wrote:

    | :)
    |
    | Hes' never been quite the same ,
    | after he fell off that cruise ship ... well out to sea.
    |
    | I also suspect he got called to "duty" ... once too often ...
    | Those Cancun expat "Ladies" can be deadly to an old geezer
    | like him , esp in quick 'sequence'.
    |
    | 'RIP', TomG.

    With all due respect .. once again you've missed the point.

    Granted, after the ex-pat ladies had their way with him, he certainly *must*
    have required a 'gizmo' to achieve anything even closely resembling 'quick
    sequence' (pick one: monthly | annually | biennially | decennially |
    centennially). You never know how often an old geezer *can* perform.

    My question, once again, why does he need a gizmo to improve the performance
    of his 'boat' .. unless you're talking about some odd euphemism for
    inoperative male genitalia .. and, if so, neverrmind. Don't really want to
    know. ;-}

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

    Bird Janitor®, Oct 19, 2006
  12. Steve Selinger

    Guest

    Richard Hopkins <> wrote:
    > Mine neither. Methinks the reason Frodo doesn't see this tab on his own
    > system is because the IAA Utility/Matrix Storage Manager doesn't support
    > SMART status reporting, period.

    > The IAA RAID BIOS definitely doesn't, so the suggestion to try Ctrl+I isn't
    > any good either.

    > As previously mentioned, utility from the drive manufacturer is the first
    > and best way to go.

    Well, Mine doesn't have it, as I said, because mine is SATA (on ICH5).
    But, the OP said that at boot time he sees the error message that says
    there's a smart event, so I assumed (oops!) that the Intel BIOS must have
    put that up there; I could have been the VIA bios (or promise?) I guess.
    But he said it was a boot message, so whatever that bugger is that posted
    the msg surely read the smart status.

    FWIW, my Intel bios always displays a quick msg re: the array, and it
    shows "Normal" in GREEN letters at boot. Once it showed RED "Array not
    found", after I reset the cmos. I freaked of course, and then just went
    into it and redefined the array and the stripe size and all was well
    again.

    As for IAA not supporting smart...

    http://mysearch.intel.com/support/d...iid=Support_Left_Nav&q1=SMART&test=on&x=0&y=0

    Apparently it does, just not so well. One art says you can't use 3rd
    party utils to read it, but it doesn't say whatt you should use!! Ah,
    Intel...

    The newer version, the Matrix Storage Manager, seems to have a console
    that does display smart info. [I run the older IAA tho, you may too since
    it was the one that was ICH5 specific. Maybe a good reason to update...].

    I suspect the answer is out there somewhere, please let us know what you
    find.

    -Frodo-

    , Oct 19, 2006
  13. Richard Hopkins wrote:

    | Good grief! Qed, Jef, Tom, me all posting on the same thread. All we
    | need is the dearly departed sheep worrier to return to the fold and
    | the circle will be complete. Everything changes, yet everything stays
    | the same!

    I've heard accounts that Homie® is on an extended surveillance mission into
    the daily activities of his "ladies".

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/ladies.jpg

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Oct 19, 2006
  14. Steve Selinger

    0_Qed Guest

    Bird Janitor® wrote:

    > With all due respect .. once again you've missed the point.

    Exactly !!!

    Ineffectual to a 'point' .

    Its' precisely the "point" that should have been made.

    ....snip...

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 20, 2006
  15. Steve Selinger

    0_Qed Guest

    Richard Hopkins wrote:

    > Good grief! Qed, Jef, Tom, me all posting on the same thread. All we need is
    > the dearly departed sheep worrier to return to the fold and the circle will
    > be complete. Everything changes, yet everything stays the same!

    =Spot= on.

    Lets all wish the 'worrier' the 'best' ...
    and ...
    hopefully hes' got a spare set of 'Half Wellies' to fall back upon ...
    when those cloven hooves break the stiches in his work_a_day pair.

    Via con Dios, Homie.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 20, 2006
  16. Qed wrote:

    | Exactly !!!
    |
    | Ineffectual to a 'point' .

    So you're now ineffectually evading "inoperative male genitalia"?

    Sad .. really.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

    Bird Janitor®, Oct 20, 2006