    not sure what is going on, but i thought maybe some of you have
    encountered such a problem and have a fix for it... thanks for any
    help you can give to me...

    Methadras, Feb 25, 2007

  2. "Methadras" wrote in message...
    > Hi folks. I hope someone in here can help me. I just received an
    > IC7- Max3 motherboard. I've hooked it all up. I'm running a
    > P4 3.0e (not overclocked), 1 gig of ram, geforce 6800gt, and
    > a 400gb sata.
    >
    > I've already flashed it to the latest bios which is 18 I believe
    > and it fires up fine. However, i get a cpu is unworkable or has
    > changed error

    This is normal after clearing the CMOS (which the flasher does automatically
    when updating the BIOS) or removing/re-inserting a CPU.

    > and it won't go away.

    You have to dip into the BIOS, go into the Softmenu, confirm the settings
    (even if you are running everything at default speed), save the settings and
    exit the BIOS to make this go away. Have you done this?

    > I haven't changed any of the bios settings at all

    You just said you flashed to a new BIOS. As such, you *have* changed the
    BIOS settings - the flasher wiped them during the update. You should also
    use the CMOS reset jumper to make sure it is fully cleared prior to setting
    it up fully again.

    > and the cpu looks fine from here.

    It's a Prescott, which means it's not fine, it's a POS, but I digress... ;)

    > so after i hit f1 to just get through it, i get the windows xp
    > boot page, a couple of bars go by and then the screen goes
    > blank and everything stops. no harddrive activity, nothing.

    It is unclear what exactly you have done here. You say you have just
    "received" this board. did you receive it along with the hard disk, which
    already had Windows installed on it? Or, alternatively, did you already have
    the other parts of the system and have just swapped the board in to replace
    an old one? Have you already freshly installed Windows on this board, or are
    you trying to re-use an existing installation from an older hardware
    combination?

    If the latter, then you wouldn't expect XP to boot, due to the changes in
    hardware breaking the hardware abstraction layer. In this case you need to
    go through a partial, or full XP reinstall in order to get the correct HAL
    and critical boot device setup.

    > not sure what is going on,

    Neither are we at this point as you haven't given us sufficient information
    for us to understand fully what the situation at your end is. However, the
    above should give you some pointers going forward.

    Follow the process I suggested to clear the "CPU is unworkable..." error and
    check this goes away. If it does not, there may be a physical problem with
    the hardware somewhere.

    When you set the BIOS back up, try setting the vDIMM at 2.6 or 2.7 volts, as
    memory in dual channel mode often needs a little more than the default 2.5
    to work stably.

    From there on, if you are trying to re-use an existing Windows installation
    that was originally made for another board, this is likely to explain your
    non-boot. As such you will need to conduct either a full or "repair" install
    to get it up and running.

    If you're still stuck, giving us a little more info on exactly what you have
    and what you've done so far would help us to help you.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Methadras

    Methadras Guest

    On Feb 24, 6:49 pm, "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > check this goes away. If it does not, there may be a physical problem with
    > the hardware somewhere.
    >
    > When you set the BIOS back up, try setting the vDIMM at 2.6 or 2.7 volts, as
    > memory in dual channel mode often needs a little more than the default 2.5
    > to work stably.
    >
    > From there on, if you are trying to re-use an existing Windows installation
    > that was originally made for another board, this is likely to explain your
    > non-boot. As such you will need to conduct either a full or "repair" install
    > to get it up and running.
    >
    > If you're still stuck, giving us a little more info on exactly what you have
    > and what you've done so far would help us to help you.
    > --
    >
    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)

    sorry it took so long to get back to you... i decided to do a little
    investigating on what my problem was so i dismantled the whole set up
    and started from scratch. When i did that, i found that the cpu had
    one bent pin, so i unbent it carefully and put it back, used the video
    card, one stick of ram, and one hard drive and fired it up. the cpu is
    unworkable message is gone now, but i still can't load windows. It
    gets to the bootup screen and then stops. Even if i load a fresh copy
    of xp, it still does the same thing. I'm starting to guess that it's
    either the AGP slot or the onboard sata controller that is either not
    working right or has gone bad. I can see video, but not high res
    video, i've tried different cards now and all the same thing. I've
    tried straight ide hard drives and still the same stoppage. I think
    this board is just bad and i'll see about getting another one, if i
    can.

    or i can send this board to abit and have them rework it for a fee.
    not sure which will be cheaper... i've basically duplicated everything
    you've illustrated but to no avail... any other ideas?

    Methadras, Feb 28, 2007