IC7-Max3 SATA Drivers

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Xenolith0, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Xenolith0

    Xenolith0 Guest

    I just got an IC7-Max3 motherboard, got it setup, and working.

    For now it's just running one HD on IDE1 until my sata
    drives get delievered, and that's where my question comes in. Having never
    used SATA or SATA-RAID before I'm a tad confused.

    I know there are drivers on the floppy disk that came with the motherboard,
    for loading drivers during windows setup. I'm guessing there are newer
    drivers
    out there. Where could I get newer sata drivers for running a drive
    connected to sata 1 or 2?

    I also have a question about Dual Channel RAM. From reading several posts in
    this group,
    I've picked up that you can use two sticks of equal ram to run in dual
    channel mode, that you don't need to buy 'matched' sets.
    So, does that mean I could get any brand sticks, as long as thier equal
    size/speed and they'd work in dual-channel mode?
    Do they have to have the same rated timings?
    Do they even need to be the same brand (assuming there's no conflicts)?

    Xenolith0, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Xenolith0

    TomG Guest

    if you are going to run the SATA raid, I would use the Intel ICH5R SATA
    channel for the raid as that bypasses the PCI bus. You will need to load
    SATA drivers just the same as you might for a Highpoint raid by hitting F6
    during the OS install. there are SATA driver for both the Intel and SI
    controllers on the floppy that comes with the board.

    if you flash to the newest bios for the board, there is a chance that the
    Intel SATA bios will get updated with the current Intel SATA bios being
    3.5.0.2568 and like the Highpoint, you want to run matching drivers for the
    bios so you would visit the Intel web site and get updated drivers for the
    F6 floppy. those same drivers will then run the controller at the OS level.

    The raid also benefits from having the Intel Application Accelerator - Raid
    version application installed which is both a GUI to interface with the raid
    but also aids performance by taking advantage of all features of the Intel
    ICH5R SATA controller. This application can be downloaded from the Intel
    site at the same location where you find the SATA F6 Floppy drivers. this
    link will wrap but just go to the Intel page, downloads, chipset, select 875
    chipset and you will see the files:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...SFullName=Windows* XP Professional&submit=Go!

    as for dual channel ram, I would go with the fastest ram you can afford but
    certainly no less than 3500. don't pay extra for "matched sets" as that is
    unnecessary but I would certainly not try to go with two vastly different
    sticks either.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Xenolith0

    Xenolith0 Guest

    Thank you,
    As you suggested, I've already flashed to the newest version
    and as soon as my sata drives get here, I'll try them on the
    Intel controller with IAA. Again, thank's Tom.

    Xenolith0, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Xenolith0

    TomG Guest

    good luck with it and post back with any questions...

    TomG, Jan 7, 2004