    My mail is through a hosting company and is set up with IMAP so I've already had everything syncing between all three devices. I haven't turned on Mail in iCloud since it didn't seem like I needed it. Would it give my any advantage? Would it just screw things up that are already working without it?

    Thanks,

    David
    unfrostedpoptart, Oct 27, 2011

  2. unfrostedpoptart

    Fletcher Guest

    On 2011-10-27, unfrostedpoptart <> wrote:
    > My mail is through a hosting company and is set up with IMAP so I've
    > already had everything syncing between all three devices. I haven't
    > turned on Mail in iCloud since it didn't seem like I needed it. Would
    > it give my any advantage? Would it just screw things up that are
    > already working without it?

    When I turned on iCloud's Mail syncing on my iPod Touch, it prompted
    me to create a "me.com" email account, which I declined (like you,
    I use a third party IMAP provider). So apparently mail syncing
    through iCloud means using Apple's email service. Probably that's
    why it was turned off by default: it recognized I had an existing
    IMAP account, so there was nothing meaningful iCloud could do with
    it short of changing over to Apple's service.

    Matt
    Fletcher, Oct 29, 2011

  3. Thanks - makes sense.
    unfrostedpoptart, Nov 1, 2011