id software's Tech 5 powered game 'RAGE' has the best-lookingreal-time visuals I've ever seen

Discussion in 'ATI' started by parallax-scroll, Aug 9, 2008.

  1. http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37824.html?type=wmv

    RAGE looks just completely awesome.

    Two reasons why it looks so good, IMO:

    1.) RAGE has a very pre-rendered CGI-look to it, even if it's only
    comparable to older, low-budget CGI. Yet RAGE is 100% real-time.
    Blows away anything I've seen using Unreal Engine 3 or even Gears of
    War 2 on the upgraded UE3.

    2.) RAGE runs at 60 frames per second from the start, unlike say,
    Crysis. id made the (right) decision to go with a 60fps engine after
    scrapping a different prototype engine designed around 30fps.

    Amazingly, RAGE will look and run almost exactly the same across all 4
    platforms:
    PC - Xbox 360 - PS3 - Mac

    I can only imagine what a RAGE 2 might look like on id's next-next
    generation Tech 6 engine, for next-gen PC/MAC/Consoles. By then I am
    sure id will have achieved graphics that are even more CGI-like.

    Even before RAGE is released, I have to thank:

    1.) id software & John Carmack
    2.) Nvidia & ATI for their awesome graphics processing units
    3.) IBM & Intel for their awesome CPUs

    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    On Aug 9, 7:16 pm, "JLC" <jc@nospam> wrote:
    > "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message

    > > Amazingly, RAGE will look and run almost exactly the same across all 4
    > > platforms:
    > > PC - Xbox 360 - PS3 - Mac

    > How can any company/person say something like this and expect to be beloved?
    > The same on the consoles OK, but on the PC and Mac? That's just plain
    > ridicules considering how many configurations there are on the PC side of
    > gaming. JLC

    Beloved? I don't think anyone in the group is beloved. The best
    standing you'll likely achieve here is "mildly despised".

    1. Advertising

  3. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Re: id software's Tech 5 powered game 'RAGE' has the best-looking real-time visuals I've ever seen

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:53:14 -0700 (PDT), parallax-scroll
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37824.html?type=wmv
    >
    >RAGE looks just completely awesome.
    >
    >Two reasons why it looks so good, IMO:
    >
    >1.) RAGE has a very pre-rendered CGI-look to it, even if it's only
    >comparable to older, low-budget CGI. Yet RAGE is 100% real-time.
    >Blows away anything I've seen using Unreal Engine 3 or even Gears of
    >War 2 on the upgraded UE3.
    >
    >2.) RAGE runs at 60 frames per second from the start, unlike say,
    >Crysis. id made the (right) decision to go with a 60fps engine after
    >scrapping a different prototype engine designed around 30fps.
    >

    >Amazingly, RAGE will look and run almost exactly the same across all 4
    >platforms:
    >PC - Xbox 360 - PS3 - Mac

    Nope.

    Not on the Xbox360.

    See:-

    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53976

    Seems as if Microsoft's decision to stick with antique hardware is
    finally catching up with them. Well, Rage is due to ship circa 2010,
    so Microsoft has plenty of time to fix the problem with a new console
    -- Xbox720?? Fully backward compatible with existing Xbox360 titles,
    of course.

    And current Xbox360 owners will have plenty of time to shovel their
    hardware on to Ebay.

    John Lewis

    ( Disclaimer: I own none of the current generation of consoles, and
    have zero intent of purchasing any before at least 2010)

    >I can only imagine what a RAGE 2 might look like on id's next-next
    >generation Tech 6 engine, for next-gen PC/MAC/Consoles. By then I am
    >sure id will have achieved graphics that are even more CGI-like.
    >
    >Even before RAGE is released, I have to thank:
    >
    >1.) id software & John Carmack
    >2.) Nvidia & ATI for their awesome graphics processing units
    >3.) IBM & Intel for their awesome CPUs

  4. ManBearPig

    ManBearPig Guest

    On 10 Aug, 06:29, (John Lewis) wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:53:14 -0700 (PDT), parallax-scroll
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37824.html?type=wmv

    > >RAGE looks just completely awesome.

    > >Two reasons why it looks so good, IMO:

    > >1.) RAGE has a very  pre-rendered CGI-look to it, even if it's only
    > >comparable to older, low-budget CGI. Yet RAGE is 100% real-time.
    > >Blows away anything I've seen using Unreal Engine 3 or even Gears of
    > >War 2 on the upgraded UE3.

    > >2.) RAGE runs at 60 frames per second from the start, unlike say,
    > >Crysis.   id made the (right) decision to go with a 60fps engine after
    > >scrapping a different prototype engine designed around 30fps.

    > >Amazingly, RAGE will look and run almost exactly the same across all 4
    > >platforms:
    > >PC - Xbox 360 - PS3 - Mac

    > Nope.
    >
    > Not on the Xbox360.
    >
    > See:-
    >
    > http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53976
    >
    > Seems as if Microsoft's decision to stick with antique hardware is
    > finally catching up with them. Well, Rage is due to ship circa 2010,
    > so Microsoft has plenty of time to fix the problem with a new console
    > -- Xbox720?? Fully backward compatible with existing  Xbox360 titles,
    > of course.
    >
    > And current Xbox360 owners will have plenty of time to shovel their
    > hardware on to Ebay.

    How many PC owners will still be playing on the same hardware they
    bought in 05/06 by then? I don't see the difference, all hardware
    becomes obselete. No need to be so elitist about it.

  5. Re: id software's Tech 5 powered game 'RAGE' has the best-looking real-time visuals I've ever seen

    > http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37824.html?type=wmv
    >
    > RAGE looks just completely awesome.
    >
    > Two reasons why it looks so good, IMO:
    >
    > 1.) RAGE has a very pre-rendered CGI-look to it, even if it's only
    > comparable to older, low-budget CGI. Yet RAGE is 100% real-time.
    > Blows away anything I've seen using Unreal Engine 3 or even Gears of
    > War 2 on the upgraded UE3.
    >
    > 2.) RAGE runs at 60 frames per second from the start, unlike say,
    > Crysis. id made the (right) decision to go with a 60fps engine after
    > scrapping a different prototype engine designed around 30fps.

    but what's the point if the game turns out to be a FPS ? - they all look the
    same to me with the same aims.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....

  6. Borgyford

    Borgyford Guest

    Re: id software's Tech 5 powered game 'RAGE' has the best-looking real-time visuals I've ever seen

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 01:39:20 -0700 (PDT), ManBearPig
    <> wrote:

    >On 10 Aug, 06:29, (John Lewis) wrote:
    >> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:53:14 -0700 (PDT), parallax-scroll
    >>

    >> <> wrote:
    >> >http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37824.html?type=wmv

    >> >RAGE looks just completely awesome.

    >> >Two reasons why it looks so good, IMO:

    >> >1.) RAGE has a very  pre-rendered CGI-look to it, even if it's only
    >> >comparable to older, low-budget CGI. Yet RAGE is 100% real-time.
    >> >Blows away anything I've seen using Unreal Engine 3 or even Gears of
    >> >War 2 on the upgraded UE3.

    >> >2.) RAGE runs at 60 frames per second from the start, unlike say,
    >> >Crysis.   id made the (right) decision to go with a 60fps engine after
    >> >scrapping a different prototype engine designed around 30fps.

    >> >Amazingly, RAGE will look and run almost exactly the same across all 4
    >> >platforms:
    >> >PC - Xbox 360 - PS3 - Mac

    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> Not on the Xbox360.
    >>
    >> See:-
    >>
    >> http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53976
    >>
    >> Seems as if Microsoft's decision to stick with antique hardware is
    >> finally catching up with them. Well, Rage is due to ship circa 2010,
    >> so Microsoft has plenty of time to fix the problem with a new console
    >> -- Xbox720?? Fully backward compatible with existing  Xbox360 titles,
    >> of course.
    >>
    >> And current Xbox360 owners will have plenty of time to shovel their
    >> hardware on to Ebay.

    >How many PC owners will still be playing on the same hardware they
    >bought in 05/06 by then? I don't see the difference, all hardware
    >becomes obselete. No need to be so elitist about it.

    Actually while I didn't buy this PC in May of 06 (a few months after),
    2 years later, with no upgrades whatsoever it still tears through all
    the games I play, maxxed out, at smooth framerates, except for Crysis
    which I have to bump down a bit to play smoothly enough for my
    discriminating tastes. Granted it was at the upper end of the price
    scale at the time, but CPU speeds have not grown phenomenally since
    the Core2Duo chips were introduced, quad-core still doesn't add much
    over dual-core in most games, and only the most recent nVidia cards
    have provided enough gains over the 8800 GTX to get my attention.

    I can see myself potentially doing a video upgrade between now and
    2010, but otherwise there is a very good chance I will still be using
    this same PC, otherwise unmodified, in 2 years.

    I'm usually only prompted to buy a video card when a game comes out
    that's over-the-top fun, but just doesn't play well enough on my
    current system. When that happens I tend to get another couple of
    years out of a system.

    But, from what I can tell that time is still a bit in the future. The
    trend I think we are seeing now is games are being written that can
    run "well enough" on an Xbox 360, which means they are ultra-smooth
    and with better graphics on the PC. I guess that's one favorable
    outcome (maybe the only one) of the trend of games being written for
    all platforms.

  7. Rich Hutnik

    Rich Hutnik Guest

    On Aug 10, 4:43 am, "The dog from that film you saw"
    <> wrote:
    > "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message

    > >http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37824.html?type=wmv

    > > RAGE looks just completely awesome.

    > > Two reasons why it looks so good, IMO:

    > > 1.) RAGE has a very pre-rendered CGI-look to it, even if it's only
    > > comparable to older, low-budget CGI. Yet RAGE is 100% real-time.
    > > Blows away anything I've seen using Unreal Engine 3 or even Gears of
    > > War 2 on the upgraded UE3.

    > > 2.) RAGE runs at 60 frames per second from the start, unlike say,
    > > Crysis. id made the (right) decision to go with a 60fps engine after
    > > scrapping a different prototype engine designed around 30fps.

    > but what's the point if the game turns out to be a FPS ? - they all look the
    > same to me with the same aims.

    Id decided to do a driving game this time. It is first and foremost a
    driving/racing game, but will have FPS elements.

    In regards to the 360, if Id is forced to do stuff to get it to fit on
    only 2 DVDs, due to Microsoft's cost per disk issue, the 360 version
    will end up looking worse.

    Well, apparently according to Id now, they did manage to get around
    the memory issues regarding the 360 and Carmack is now complaining
    about Microsoft's licensing issues per disk.

    - Rich