    kills.

    what's wrong with the hardware???

    http://www.usenet.com

    freddygolitely, Sep 20, 2005

  2. **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

    philo <> wrote in news:e9OdnSKmeu6v1LLeRVn-
    :

    > <snip>
    >
    > explorer stalls and process must be killed, but usually just very

    slow,
    >> but ONLY on some directories-some go fast and other go really slow,

    not
    >> dependent on amount of data transferred.
    >>
    >> bios is set for dma/level2, but dma is not enabled in os.
    >>
    >> one drive died, i think from these frequent stalls and sudden process
    >> kills.
    >>
    >> what's wrong with the hardware???

    honestly, I don't know, am novice.

    http://www.usenet.com

    freddygolitely, Sep 20, 2005

  3. freddygolitely

    philo Guest

    philo, Sep 20, 2005
  4. freddygolitely

    philo Guest

    ,SNIP,

    >>>dependent on amount of data transferred.
    >>>
    >>>bios is set for dma/level2, but dma is not enabled in os.
    >>>
    >>>one drive died, i think from these frequent stalls and sudden process
    >>>kills.
    >>>
    >>>what's wrong with the hardware???

    > honestly, I don't know, am novice.

    to gain expertise see this:

    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable.html

    philo, Sep 20, 2005
  5. freddygolitely wrote:

    > **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
    >
    > got an P3 win9x box here and getting extremely slow transfer rates when
    > copying between drive 0 and 1 and between different part. in drive 1.

    Both drives on the same cable (master/slave)?
    IDE cannot do a direct transfer on one controller/cable, only one device at
    a time. You want your harddrives on separate cables (primary/secondary).

    > explorer stalls and process must be killed, but usually just very slow,
    > but ONLY on some directories-some go fast and other go really slow, not
    > dependent on amount of data transferred.

    Run the diagnostic floppy (should be bootable) you can download from your
    harddrive manuf. homepage.
    Disable on-access-scanner(s) for a test.

    > bios is set for dma/level2, but dma is not enabled in os.

    Then backup your important data, and then enable it.
    If it doesn't work, it probably will give a bluescreen. Under weird
    circumstances (flakey controller, wrong driver) you might get massive
    corruption.

    > one drive died, i think from these frequent stalls and sudden process
    > kills.

    Usually, drives tend to fail dma and become noticeably slow from multiple
    retries, before they finally quit. Time to get a new one and do a image
    backup of the old one.

    > what's wrong with the hardware???

    Could as well be the cable - try a new 80wire cable, and make sure your
    drives are jumpered correctly. Never leave a open tail but put the master
    on the end of the cable.

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm3[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Thanks alot philo, great link.

    philo <> wrote in news:NN-dnZuNfvK3zLLeRVn-
    :

    freddygolitely, Sep 23, 2005