Identify USB pins on MX64

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Tom Young, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    Hi all:

    I've got a motherboard out of an ACER computer that I've identified as
    a MX64. I just transfered the motherboard to a "cheapie" case that
    has front USB ports, but I can't determine how to hook the ports to
    the USB2 pins on the board.

    The ribbon to the front USB ports on the case are as follows:

    "Gnd 1", "Gnd2", both black
    "-D1","-D2", both white
    "VCC1", "VCC2", both red
    "+D1", "+D2", both green

    The motherboard has a "USB2" pin layout as follows:

    Pin 10 * * Pin 9
    Blank Blank
    Pin * * Pin
    Pin * * Pin
    Pin * * Pin
    Pin 2 * * Pin 1

    The manual for this motherboard identifies the "USB2" port on the
    motherboard but doesn't identify individual pins.

    Can anybody help me here?

    TIA.

    Tom Young

    1. Advertising

  2. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    JK <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 2 Sep 2003 18:51:17 -0700, (Tom Young) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all:
    > >
    > >I've got a motherboard out of an ACER computer that I've identified as
    > >a MX64. I just transfered the motherboard to a "cheapie" case that
    > >has front USB ports, but I can't determine how to hook the ports to
    > >the USB2 pins on the board.
    > >
    > >The ribbon to the front USB ports on the case are as follows:
    > >
    > >"Gnd 1", "Gnd2", both black
    > >"-D1","-D2", both white
    > >"VCC1", "VCC2", both red
    > >"+D1", "+D2", both green
    > >
    > >The motherboard has a "USB2" pin layout as follows:
    > >
    > > Pin 10 * * Pin 9
    > > Blank Blank
    > > Pin * * Pin
    > > Pin * * Pin
    > > Pin * * Pin
    > > Pin 2 * * Pin 1
    > >
    > >The manual for this motherboard identifies the "USB2" port on the
    > >motherboard but doesn't identify individual pins.
    > >
    > >Can anybody help me here?
    > >

    > Have you looked on the motherboard. Normally the manual is not
    > necessary. Pin numbers should be written on the board.
    >
    > The manual does not identify any onboard additional usb-output.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/manual/mb/mx64/mx64-ol-e.pdf
    >
    > Are you sure it is a mx64 ?
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > John

    I realized that my diagram above of the pin layout was wrong in that I
    inserted an extra set of pins. The pin layout SHOULD look like:

    Pin 10 * * Pin 9
    Blank Blank
    Pin * * Pin
    Pin * * Pin
    Pin 2 * * Pin 1

    With that out of the way:

    If you look at page 2-2, which shows the locations of the jumpers and
    connectors on the system board, you'll see the second USB connector -
    labeled "USB2" - right below the built-in USB ports. The Acer
    computer I took this board out of had a second pair of rear-mounted
    USB ports which used this connector.

    Yes, I'm very certain this is an MX64, or at least a clone made by
    AOpen for ACER. If you rotate page 2-2 counter clockwise twice and
    then compare the board layout to the ACER "Jumpers and Connectors -
    6400 Series" at

    http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/aspire/html/as64xx_jumpers.html

    you'll see the layout is exactly the same.

    Identifying the pin numbers isn't the problem, it's identifying which
    pins are +Data, -Data, Ground and +5V as the manual has no other
    reference to this connector beyond it's mention on 2-2.

    Looking at the manuals for other AOpen motherboards based on the VIA
    694X chipset I'm guessing the pin out for this connector is as
    follows:

    10 9
    +5V * * +5V
    Blank Blank
    Gnd * * Gnd
    +D3 * * +D2
    -D3 * * -D2
    2 1

    though I'd sure like some confirmation before I start plugging things
    in!

    Thanks.