iDisk and free trial .mac account

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Wes Groleau, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I have NO intention of paying Apple one cent
    (much less $99) for .mac

    But I figured, 60 day free trial? What have I got
    to lose?

    The answer to that question is the ability to click
    "logout" and walk away.

    Have to sit there for two minutes waiting for a popup
    that says something like "Logout canceled because
    xxxx would not quit. Click continue to force quit"

    I forget exactly what xxxx's name is, but it's the thing
    that tries to synchronize iDisk with a local folder.

    (OK, I don't really have to wait two minutes.
    I can press the reset button instead.)

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://groleau.freeshell.org/

    Wes Groleau, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Gnarlodious wrote:
    > I gotta tell you Wes, IMO iDisk isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

    Nor the ferrite it's polarized on. :)

    I had it back when it was free, and I was far from impressed.
    But I figured, hey, it's free again (for 60 days) so why not
    see whether it has changed.

    At least the first time around it never interfered with
    operating my Mac.

    Now I got to figure out how to turn it off.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://groleau.freeshell.org/

    Wes Groleau, Jan 18, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > I have NO intention of paying Apple one cent
    > (much less $99) for .mac
    >
    > But I figured, 60 day free trial? What have I got
    > to lose?
    >
    > The answer to that question is the ability to click
    > "logout" and walk away.
    >
    > Have to sit there for two minutes waiting for a popup
    > that says something like "Logout canceled because
    > xxxx would not quit. Click continue to force quit"
    >
    > I forget exactly what xxxx's name is, but it's the thing
    > that tries to synchronize iDisk with a local folder.
    >
    > (OK, I don't really have to wait two minutes.
    > I can press the reset button instead.)

    You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
    your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

    Gregory Weston, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Gregory Weston wrote:
    > You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
    > your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

    I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://groleau.freeshell.org/

    Wes Groleau, Jan 18, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > Gregory Weston wrote:
    > > You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
    > > your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

    > I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

    You won't. I'm confident. While you couldn't remember the name of the
    process that vetoed the logout, I'm positive it was the iDisk synch
    based on what you described. It will only veto if it's actively
    performing some synch-related task, so if there's no synch (or no local
    cache to synch) it _probably_ won't even be running and certainly won't
    be vetoing anything.

    Gregory Weston, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Gregory Weston wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >>Gregory Weston wrote:
    >>
    >>>You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
    >>>your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

    >>I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

    > You won't. I'm confident. While you couldn't remember the name of the
    > process that vetoed the logout, I'm positive it was the iDisk synch
    > based on what you described. It will only veto if it's actively
    > performing some synch-related task, so if there's no synch (or no local
    > cache to synch) it _probably_ won't even be running and certainly won't
    > be vetoing anything.

    You are partly correct.

    I completely removed the local copy, AND disabled synchronization.
    Now logouts are not hindered. The process was "MirrorAgent."

    And it veto-ed logout every time--whether or not there was
    any synchronization. In fact, there should have been NO
    synchronization, because I never put anything into the iDisk
    or took anything out!

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://groleau.freeshell.org/

    Wes Groleau, Jan 18, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > Gregory Weston wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > >>I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

    > > You won't. I'm confident. While you couldn't remember the name of the
    > > process that vetoed the logout, I'm positive it was the iDisk synch
    > > based on what you described. It will only veto if it's actively
    > > performing some synch-related task, so if there's no synch (or no local
    > > cache to synch) it _probably_ won't even be running and certainly won't
    > > be vetoing anything.

    > You are partly correct.
    >
    > I completely removed the local copy, AND disabled synchronization.
    > Now logouts are not hindered. The process was "MirrorAgent."
    >
    > And it veto-ed logout every time--whether or not there was
    > any synchronization.

    Seems unlikely. I use my iDisk across 3 machines and while I do see that
    veto occasionally it's _very_ rare and I've always been able to look and
    see that, in fact, there is a synch or check in progress. I'm not saying
    it didn't happen to you, but I certainly can't consider it the norm.

    > In fact, there should have been NO synchronization, because I never put
    > anything into the iDisk or took anything out!

    Okay, two things: There's always something there, because there are the
    stock folders Apple creates. But that should happen the first time and
    never bug you again. The second thing is that if you have auto-synch
    turned on it's going to check periodically to see if the cache is stale.

    So I'm more than partly correct. ;)

    There's really no reliable way to do validate the cache I can think of
    that won't take an observable amount of time. (I can think of unreliable
    ways that are much faster, but ...)

    Gregory Weston, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Gregory Weston wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >>I completely removed the local copy, AND disabled synchronization.
    >>Now logouts are not hindered. The process was "MirrorAgent."
    >>
    >>And it veto-ed logout every time--whether or not there was
    >>any synchronization.

    > Seems unlikely. I use my iDisk across 3 machines and while I do see that
    > veto occasionally it's _very_ rare and I've always been able to look and
    > see that, in fact, there is a synch or check in progress. I'm not saying
    > it didn't happen to you, but I certainly can't consider it the norm.

    Well, that ain't the only thing I've been getting
    that isn't the norm! :)

    I'd be thoroughly convinced of a hardware problem
    except for one thing: ALL the problems started
    when I went from 10.1.5 to 10.3.2

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://groleau.freeshell.org/

    Wes Groleau, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Wes Groleau

    Guest

    Gnarlodious <> writes:
    > Entity Wes Groleau (admin) spoke thus:
    >
    > > But I figured, 60 day free trial? What have I got to lose?

    > I gotta tell you Wes, IMO iDisk isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
    > True, the IMAP service has been useful and that's why I got iDisk in the

    Hrm. Their IMAP is one of the worst deals out there. If
    that's why one gets a .mac account, one is wasting a lot
    of money and, sadly, probably tying himself into a poor
    choice of e-mail addresses, since .Mac's SMTP server is
    configured to not permit you to use anything but your
    ..mac address as a From: or Reply-To: (ie. so you can't
    publicize a different e-mail address and have it forwarded
    to the .mac IMAP box). On top of how expensive it is
    per meg of storage.

    For some alternatives, see

    http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#table

    Some of them are _great_ deals and very well run.

    > Of course, some people like the webmagic thing for easy page generating.

    ..mac makes publishing photo albums from iPhoto about as
    seamless as it's possible to be.

    ..mac also makes iSync work really nicely to keep address book,
    bookmarks and calendar syncronized between multiple machines.

    As far as I'm concerned, really, the iSync thing is the only
    part of it that made it worthwhile.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

    , Jan 20, 2004
  10. Wes Groleau

    Paul Reading Guest

    Well I use iSync to keep the addresses, bookmarks and calenders in sync
    and that alone is worth the money. It does not work perfectly as I have
    checked the "Automatically synchronize evey hour" and it doesn't I have
    to do it manually on every machine, why doesn't this work?

    Having my office and home machines in syn is wonderful. I rarely use
    the other featurers of .mac which is a shame, as I think they can be
    used quite effectivly IF you have the time.

    Paul Reading, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Paul Reading wrote:
    > Well I use iSync to keep the addresses, bookmarks and calenders in sync

    I use my Palm III to do two of those (and some others)
    but it doesn't do bookmarks.

    Wes Groleau, Feb 7, 2004
  12. Wes Groleau

    James Meiss Guest

    In article <>,
    Bill Leeper <> wrote:

    > Paul Reading wrote:
    > > Well I use iSync to keep the addresses, bookmarks and calenders in sync
    > > and that alone is worth the money. It does not work perfectly as I have
    > > checked the "Automatically synchronize evey hour" and it doesn't I have
    > > to do it manually on every machine, why doesn't this work?

    Works for me. Try removing the iSync preferences (there are three
    "com.apple.isync" files in ~/Library/preferences) and setting it up
    again.

    > > Having my office and home machines in syn is wonderful. I rarely use the
    > > other featurers of .mac which is a shame, as I think they can be used
    > > quite effectivly IF you have the time.

    Backup is quite useful IMHO. Has saved my bacon more than once when I
    accidentally deleted a file or when MS Word corrupted one.

    > I just have mine set to auto sync and it seems to do so whenever I make
    > changes. I never noticed a setting for every hour.

    I don't see such a setting. It would be nice to have it only sync after
    changes are made...or at least have a setting for synching on some other
    schedule.

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>