Idle temps

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Brett Tyre, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
    of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).

    I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
    the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).

    BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
    point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
    litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
    heatsink and fan.

    In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
    years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
    acheived low temps compared to other people.
    --
    NP:
    Brett Tyre

    www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
    London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
    "I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
    different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

    Brett Tyre, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Brett Tyre

    Arthur Buse Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, "Brett Tyre" <> wrote:

    >I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
    >of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).
    >
    >I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
    >the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).
    >
    >BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
    >point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
    >litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
    >heatsink and fan.
    >
    >In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
    >years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
    >acheived low temps compared to other people.

    In my humble opinion, the BIOS puts the CPU under full load. Windows
    contains a Halt instruction which lets the CPU idle. Dos and BIOS do
    not.

    --
    Arthur.

    email address is bogus, real email adr is zathras at freeuk dot com

    Arthur Buse, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Brett Tyre

    J. Clarke Guest

    Brett Tyre wrote:
    > I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
    > of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).
    >
    > I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
    > the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).
    >
    > BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
    > point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
    > litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
    > heatsink and fan.
    >
    > In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature?

    That's fine. Generally speaking if you're not overclocking then
    anything under 60C on the motherboard sensor (or 70 or so on the
    internal diode) under load is fine--if you're idling 47C then you'll
    likely be well under 60 under load. If you're going for maximum
    overclocking you want the processor as cool as you can afford to run it.

    > Its been a few
    > years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
    > acheived low temps compared to other people.
    > --
    > NP:
    > Brett Tyre
    >

    > www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
    > London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
    > "I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
    > different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)